How do I use a Game camera??

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

How do I use a Game camera??

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Never owner one, but am thinking it might help let me know what size bucks are on the ground I hunt. So other than the captain obvious don't put it in the bedding area share some tips that would help. Thanks

BigHunt

Re: How do I use a Game camera??

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:32 pm

adrenalin wrote:Never owner one, but am thinking it might help let me know what size bucks are on the ground I hunt. So other than the captain obvious don't put it in the bedding area share some tips that would help. Thanks

i would just put it on the food sources....... if its leagal i would put out a little corn to drawl them in ...you should geyt most of the shooter bucks in the area
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:34 pm

I should clarify, probably not till next season.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:36 pm

There is good info on both the Marsh bucks and Hill Country bucks videos.....I believe they are for sale in the Beast store.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:37 pm

adrenalin wrote:I should clarify, probably not till next season.

Before season may be a good time to start.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:39 pm

I put mine in areas that are easily accessible by vehicle. I mainly use them on private ground where human activity is present a couple times a month in summer whether its farming, food plotting, property maintenance or what ever. I put them where I can drive the truck up to them and take only a few steps to pull the card.

I'd rather put my camera higher on the tree facing down ward then low on the tree facing upward. I have missed a lot of deer putting a camera on a trunk with a funny lean I just get pictures of ears.

Never point the camera to the west. I have a lot of pictures of the sun but its just a black dot. Something about facing it west triggers it to take pictures as the sun is advancing in the sky.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:41 pm

adrenalin wrote:I should clarify, probably not till next season.

.....do you have one now. if you do i would still put it out to see what deer have survied .....but next year i would put out during july to start to see whats growing......up to opener.....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:50 pm

I would put it on a heavily used trail that is between a food source and bedding area. If you can find a bottle neck, saddle, neck down of some kind, that would help you out some. Set it up so you can check it, disturbing the area as little as possible. If legal a bait pile helps to get some pictures. A salt/mineral block will also draw them in. Set it up so the camera and the area of exposure are under the cover of the timber canopy (in other words in the shade). Set it up facing North if at all possible. Good luck and have fun with it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 am

I like to disturb the bedding area and the trails thru the woods as little as possible. I put the cameras up at food sources, or where buck travel crosses human travel. Setting the camera in video mode will often give you a direction of travel, that combined with time can give you an idea of which bedding area he came from... As others said, placing food or minerals in fron of the camera s often a good way to ensure they stop at the camera when they come thru.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”