Mountain Laurels?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Mountain Laurels?

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:18 am

Do you guys have Mountain Laurels in the mid-west? We have areas that have Mountain Laurel covering hundreds of acres, dominating the Terrain. Seems like they would be a magnet for buck bedding. Thick cover, Shade, and the ability to move freely and quickly under the canopy of these short twisting trees.

Anyone have any experience hunting in Laurels?

Cant find a great picture but heres a decent one.
http://www.foundinthefells.com/monthly/FoundJune.htm

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Mountain Laurels?

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:48 am

I agree, the mountain laurels make ideal buck bedding, it's usually on the hills and knobs the bucks like the most anyway. And it's really tough to shoot through that stuff.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:02 am

Haven't seen them in WI, that I know of.
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:31 am

Haven't seen any in Wisconsin but lots of them when I ived in New Jersey. Hunted the edges where laurel came to cedar swamp or laurel came to briars or laurel came to open hardwoods with tons of acorns. Did lots of deer drives through them great bedding areas.
Had acres and acres of them in oak flats. Deer could get up from there bed and start eating acorns without traveling anywhere.
Grunt

Unread postby Grunt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:00 am

Hello, I am late to this topic but mountain laurel is prevalent here in central PA. I like it to the marshes that are talked about here. Great bedding areas, but almost impossible to hunt unless you can pin point the exact trails being used from the beds to the feed. As stated before, in some years of high acorn crops the deer can feed within the laurel thickets which can be hundreds of acres in size. I am planning on combining possible bedding areas from topo maps with tracking snow this winter to try an pinpoint preferred trails.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”