Scouting a property with a 10+ cameras

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Brandon
500 Club

Scouting a property with a 10+ cameras

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:22 am

From another thread I accidentley hijacked.... :shifty:

dan wrote:
He had 14 cameras on one property??

Easily... Last time I was on his Iowa property it took 2 hours a day to check all the cameras and another hour to filter through all the pictures. :lol:

Im interested in this tactic. How many acres? Where abouts does he locate the cams? Thanks Dan

You can't kill em on the couch
kwaldeier
500 Club

Re: Scouting a property with a 10+ cameras

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:28 am

I too am curious about this topic!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:32 am

kwaldeier wrote:I too am curious about this topic!

x3
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:48 am

For those of you who watched the 1st edition of "Extreme whitetail tactics" it was filmed on Andraes land, and the cameras were paramount for keeping me in the know about where the big bucks were hanging.
If you did not see that show, go to the top of the page and click "Extreme whitetail tactics" and scroll to the side to find the 1st episode. Its up right now, but will be rotating off soon.

It would be great to post an aerial and show you the layout, but I don't think Andrae would appreciate that... Basically, he put a great deal of thought into the layout of his farm. I believe his farm is a little over 1 square mile. Not sure what that equates into acres... He also leases the hunting on most of the surrounding farms that border his without roads. Camera layout goes hand in hand with food plot layout. Basically the food plots are almost all on top ( hill country ) and the side hills on his farm, as well as the valleys are wooded.
Every food plot on his property has a camera or 2 on it. Some are hidden and would catch anyone stealing a visible one... He has a little over a dozen food plots. Corn, beans, and clover mostly. They very in size from about an acre to 5 acres maybe... The food plots are located to draw deer from certain bedding areas. When a certain buck shows on a certain camera at a certain time, it can be assumed it came from a certain bedding area... Andrae keeps track of times, wind directions, weather, etc. When a pattern emerges, he moves in for the kill.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:58 am

dan wrote:For those of you who watched the 1st edition of "Extreme whitetail tactics" it was filmed on Andraes land, and the cameras were paramount for keeping me in the know about where the big bucks were hanging.
If you did not see that show, go to the top of the page and click "Extreme whitetail tactics" and scroll to the side to find the 1st episode. Its up right now, but will be rotating off soon.

It would be great to post an aerial and show you the layout, but I don't think Andrae would appreciate that... Basically, he put a great deal of thought into the layout of his farm. I believe his farm is a little over 1 square mile. Not sure what that equates into acres... He also leases the hunting on most of the surrounding farms that border his without roads. Camera layout goes hand in hand with food plot layout. Basically the food plots are almost all on top ( hill country ) and the side hills on his farm, as well as the valleys are wooded.
Every food plot on his property has a camera or 2 on it. Some are hidden and would catch anyone stealing a visible one... He has a little over a dozen food plots. Corn, beans, and clover mostly. They very in size from about an acre to 5 acres maybe... The food plots are located to draw deer from certain bedding areas. When a certain buck shows on a certain camera at a certain time, it can be assumed it came from a certain bedding area... Andrae keeps track of times, wind directions, weather, etc. When a pattern emerges, he moves in for the kill.

sneeky......but i understand why dan 8-)

ya thats good to know ill have to go back and wacth it agin for the 100 th time :P :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:13 am

I would love to have the opportunity to use a dozen cameras on that 360 acre piece that is new to me.....

Donations of cameras accepted. :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:41 am

1 sq. mi. = 640 Ac.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:41 am

Can I absolutley bombard a property with cameras for 3-4 weeks and then pull them to deploy at a different property all together, and still have that be effective? DO I have to leave them there longer? Is 3-4 weeks enough time?
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:45 am

Kodiakman wrote:Can I absolutley bombard a property with cameras for 3-4 weeks and then pull them to deploy at a different property all together, and still have that be effective? DO I have to leave them there longer? Is 3-4 weeks enough time?

I would think you would do better splitting the cameras between the two propertys. You constantly gain knowledge from the cameras. The buck I shot on the show was a direct result of what I saw on the camera that day from the previous couple days.
Andrae often does not hunt at all till a certain buck shows up on the cameras and he knows its in the area and starts putting a game plan together based on pictures...
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:27 am

Me and two other buddies deploy 20+ cameras each summer (roughly in July)... initially we try to gain inventory and find bucks that we have been following. Summer pics do not equal where a buck will be come season, you just know the deer made it and grew to either something you want to chase or not. About Oct 20th I relocate many cameras to "fringe" scrapes... on the edges. This will give you a good idea if the buck you are hunting is checking certain doe feeding areas. If so you can go on past knowledge of trail cams and scouting (bedding areas) as to where to try and intercept that particular buck. The fun part is if you tag out or are not gonna to hunt a specific property because you are focused on one particular deer... this allows you to stick cameras into areas you would not normally. Deep in cover, in funnels, on specific trails skirting bedding cover etc.... I did this on one particular buck this year and I found a trail that he used on 6 different days in November in daylight. This was a mature 4yr+ buck, next year if I confirm that he has made it and is using the farm again (summer inventory) or scrape pics I will sit him on this particular trail and I will kill him. :D

Fringe scrape... over 1/2 mile from trail I got him using in daylight

Trail Examples - he used the trail on 6th, 7th, 11th, 13th, 17th, and 27th that he walked in front of the camera. I believe he is a 4yr old, not huge buck but mature. He made it past the orange army too :D

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:00 am

good stuff bucky, your definitely a man with a solid plan
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:56 am

Dan & Bucky,

Thanks for the great info!

The shot I had at a buck was due to my 2 cams cathcing him in daylight. I would have not setup there if I hadnt had the info.

I have 3 cams now and hope to have 10 atleast by late summer to scout my new 200 acre lease. It gets VERY little pressure and I shouldnt have to worry about any theifs.

Thanks again and I would like to hear from more guys that "super trail cam scout" with 10+ cams.

PS Bucky.. what do you mean by "fringe scrape" and where do you place your cams when targeting bucks. Thanks!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:00 am

"fringe" scrapes are areas where you can go to check your cameras without disrupting the bedding areas or leaving too much of a scent trail... in farm country = field edge scrape, in hills a logging road where humans frequently are smelled or travel, the outside edge of a thick bedding area that again you can access frequently without blowing deer out, marsh = feeding area (oak island or crop field) access without crossing trails the buck uses to get there or areas you plan to hunt... the areas that you frequently cross to check the camera should be a "dead zone" or areas you don't plan to hunt anyway

I also do this on a newly acquired properties to me... I usually have a buck or two picked out from the year before to go after so if I get on new ground all I do is cam scout in the 1st year... unless a true gagger shows up on summer inventory! I have had a few farmers look at me funny when all I do for the 1st year is drive in and check cameras and leave :lol: Every property you hunt there is a process to learning it... with multiple cameras you can learn it much faster with this method. Plus you can hunt one buck while setting yourself up for the next one... sometime the intel you gain is red hot (like the buck above, I believe I could have killed him as I had a tag for the area) and if you want to you can move on it. That is why keeping the access smart is a critical part of the camera placement.

The off limit areas for cameras are only when I tagged out or have no clue with property or don't have the time to hunt it (too far, etc)... I look for classic buck areas.. down wind perpendicular trails to thick bedding, thick cover heading to food source (can be brushy, tall grass, overgrown fence row), rub lines, scrape lines in thick cover, classic funnels = saddles, inside corners, spider webs, thick transitions, benches, hogs backs coming out of thick valleys... I'm trying to capture the bucks in daylight travel. Once you find these areas they usually produce year after year. Like other good hunters on this forum have discussed, I'm trying to build a portfolio of stand sites so that I have so many options I never run out through the course of a year. It takes time to do it, but once you got 15+ hot sites it is a lot of fun. When you sit these spots you know the odds are high you will see deer and hopefully the 1 you are after
Last edited by Bucky on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:20 am

"fringe" scrapes are areas where you can go to check your cameras without disrupting the bedding areas or leaving too much of a scent trail... in farm country = field edge scrape, in hills a logging road where humans frequently are smelled or travel, the outside edge of a thick bedding area that again you can access frequently without blowing deer out, marsh = feeding area (oak island or crop field) access without crossing trails the buck uses to get there or areas you plan to hunt... the areas that you frequently cross to check the camera should be a "dead zone" or areas you don't plan to hunt anyway

Good stuff Bucky, I was just about to post something real simalar when I read this...
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks Bucky thats a great post and I appreciate all the details! :)

I think in my case I would be putting them off logging roads as my area could be described as hill country... but its mostly flat? No fields.... 1 decent size swamp/thick area and alot of roads.

If I post a pic or topo could you make a few recommendations on where you would place a cam?

Again, thanks for all the details I know it takes a lot of time to type that but I enjoy reading it and learning. Thanks! :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”