Scouting a property with a 10+ cameras

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Scouting a property with a 10+ cameras

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:57 am

I might not get around to it right away, but if you post it up I will give you my input... it is free :lol:

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Nice information Bucky. Here is a link to another thread with added detail on Bucky's trail cam thoughts. It also includes outstanding ideas from other beasts.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6972
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:30 pm

So the places you are hanging these cameras are easily accessible and likely to have human scent? Deer in my area, and everywhere I have hunted (private lands where leaving cameras is legal) seem to be used to atv/truck/tractor/large equipment activity. I tend to put my cameras in places where I can ride right up to them and pull the chip. However there are always places you can't get to without a little walking. What do you do then? Also how often are you checking and pulling camera chips to stay up to date on which deer are in the area and when? Also do you factor the wind into checking cameras just like you would when you are hunting? For example if I wanted to pull my camera chip that was on a fringe scrape to the north of a bedding area should I stay away from it if the winds are out of the north?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:06 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:So the places you are hanging these cameras are easily accessible and likely to have human scent? Deer in my area, and everywhere I have hunted (private lands where leaving cameras is legal) seem to be used to atv/truck/tractor/large equipment activity. I tend to put my cameras in places where I can ride right up to them and pull the chip. However there are always places you can't get to without a little walking. What do you do then? Also how often are you checking and pulling camera chips to stay up to date on which deer are in the area and when? Also do you factor the wind into checking cameras just like you would when you are hunting? For example if I wanted to pull my camera chip that was on a fringe scrape to the north of a bedding area should I stay away from it if the winds are out of the north?

I just go with my gut.... Early in the season deer tend 2 be more sensitive 2 intrusion IMO... I think it is a combination of not smelling human for months, foliage catching more human scent, and you leaving more scent due 2 temp. When I switch 2 scrape checking I want that information prior 2 a hunting opportunity... Weekend, day off, etc. From above I only try 2 go into intrusive areas when I'm tagged out, desperate, or not focused on hunting a particular buck on the farm... But I stii try 2 keep access smart just in case something changes. I set and cleared a few trees with no intention of hunting them this year... Example the buck above, I cleared a tree, and set up a wolf in it just 2 prep for possibility I will hunt this farm next year on sometime in the future. I did this over a half dozen times this past season... I currently have three 4yr olds and a bunch of 3s that I know well and will pursue next year. It is a risk not killing them at 3, they often get killed during gun season, or winter... But I live for figuring them out, finding sheds, pics, and finally if it is meant 2 be having an opportunity 2 harvest. Sharing the history, sheds, and pics with close friends and my kids is also slot of fun. I have tried this 2 some degree on public and it is much more difficult than private ground, but it can and does work. If nothing else knowing a 150" is or was in the area can keep u in the tree a little longer! :-)

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:36 am

Bucky, great update... im following this thread very close! Backwoods is asking some great questions!

Klemz, thanks for that link, I must have missed that one orginally. For only 160 posts you sure do contribute a lot to this site! Thank you for that as well.

Great topic!
You can't kill em on the couch
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:23 am

Brandon, thanks for the kind words!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Bucky wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:So the places you are hanging these cameras are easily accessible and likely to have human scent? Deer in my area, and everywhere I have hunted (private lands where leaving cameras is legal) seem to be used to atv/truck/tractor/large equipment activity. I tend to put my cameras in places where I can ride right up to them and pull the chip. However there are always places you can't get to without a little walking. What do you do then? Also how often are you checking and pulling camera chips to stay up to date on which deer are in the area and when? Also do you factor the wind into checking cameras just like you would when you are hunting? For example if I wanted to pull my camera chip that was on a fringe scrape to the north of a bedding area should I stay away from it if the winds are out of the north?

I just go with my gut.... Early in the season deer tend 2 be more sensitive 2 intrusion IMO... I think it is a combination of not smelling human for months, foliage catching more human scent, and you leaving more scent due 2 temp. When I switch 2 scrape checking I want that information prior 2 a hunting opportunity... Weekend, day off, etc. From above I only try 2 go into intrusive areas when I'm tagged out, desperate, or not focused on hunting a particular buck on the farm... But I stii try 2 keep access smart just in case something changes. I set and cleared a few trees with no intention of hunting them this year... Example the buck above, I cleared a tree, and set up a wolf in it just 2 prep for possibility I will hunt this farm next year on sometime in the future. I did this over a half dozen times this past season... I currently have three 4yr olds and a bunch of 3s that I know well and will pursue next year. It is a risk not killing them at 3, they often get killed during gun season, or winter... But I live for figuring them out, finding sheds, pics, and finally if it is meant 2 be having an opportunity 2 harvest. Sharing the history, sheds, and pics with close friends and my kids is also slot of fun. I have tried this 2 some degree on public and it is much more difficult than private ground, but it can and does work. If nothing else knowing a 150" is or was in the area can keep u in the tree a little longer! :-)

Bucky how many properties do you hunt? How many cams do you run during the season? And how many stands do you pre-set like that?

Do you only hang a set if there is a sign of a good buck in the area? Do you think leaving your scent and a stand there alerts the deer? Where I hunt I have proof (confirmed by tracks in the snow) that deer back track me to my stand locations in the night. They generally walk a circle around the base of the tree at a distance and then circle in and get really close I wouldn't be surprised if they put their noses right on the lowest climbing stick. They also usually pee under the tree marking it in some way I suppose. I have hunted other properties where this is not the case though. I believe setting up a stand like this would really push any mature buck out of the area unless a doe in heat brought him back through. Do you not have this problem or do you set up pre hung stands likely more for rut hunting? Or it could be you are far smarter than I and you pick your set ups so there is no way the deer will detect you were there hanging a stand LOL. I have grand plans to add a half dozen or so cams to my hunting closet here in the off season and deploy them mid summer. I find it interesting how I can monitor a deers movement as Andre seems to do and how I can monitor a particular deer travel corridor without destroying it as you do Bucky. Please keep contributing this is all very interesting to me.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:00 pm

20+ cameras with two good buddies, Around 10 of my own... I keep running them until mid Feb... I set some stands ahead of time depending on local... Funnel spots, or what I call a "killing tree" that produces yr after yr = down wind side of doe bedding areas or some type of topographic feature... The rest of the trees are prepd so when I want 2 hunt I know where I'm gonna set the stand, shooting lanes already cleared. I hunt many different properties private and public... I look for new stuff all year round, especially Feb-April when looking for sheds... The stuff I hunt year after year has bedding areas on the property though... I don't hunt many pass thru properties...
When I say prepped a tree it is often set up, clear stuff out and sit once, then pull it... Not leave it for the following season

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”