Identify Cattail Swamps from Aerial

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mnwild

Identify Cattail Swamps from Aerial

Unread postby mnwild » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:52 am

Trying to identify cattail swamps from aerial images. Most of swamps I see are wooded swamps but I have been trying to identify some cattail swamps to check out. As I drive and see some I look the aerial image up to see what they look like which helps. But would you think this is a cattail swamp? These are all of the same spot just different images I found.

I initially looked at the middle image and thought it was but now I am not so sure after seeing the other images.

Capture-1.JPG
Capture-2.JPG
Capture-3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Identify Cattail Swamps from Aerial

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:27 am

Hard to say but cattails or swampgrass or any kind of tall thick cover will work for bedding, looks like a great spot regardless of the cattails so get out there and check it out.
mnwild

Unread postby mnwild » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:35 am

headgear wrote:Hard to say but cattails or swampgrass or any kind of tall thick cover will work for bedding, looks like a great spot regardless of the cattails so get out there and check it out.

Thanks, that is my thought as well. Its not easy to get to which makes it better yet, nice little day time canoe ride to check it out will be fun anyway.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:46 am

Hard to tell if there will be cattails in there just from the aerial. It appears to be lower ground, which will likely have marsh grass and perhaps cattails. Either way, it’s worth checking out. There are some nice oxbows in there for sure. Good luck!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:30 pm

Is this a geographical phrase? Cattails swamp?

Done here we just call them swamps. Every swamp has cattails down here and saw grass and scrub trees.
mnwild

Unread postby mnwild » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:13 am

It looks like you were right that it is swamp grass and not wet enough for cattails, but probably still some good potential bedding areas. I just have to get some time to get in to look around.

Interesting enough most of the swamps around me are wooded swamps more than having cattails, we have a few small areas. Plenty of bigger ones within maybe an hour drive or a little more.
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:28 am

That oxbow has me fully erect
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:57 pm

So, did you get out there?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:58 pm

Jimmy wallhanger wrote:That oxbow has me fully erect

Doesn’t take much, eh?
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:17 am

Hard to tell from aerials for me also. what I do is pull up an area I know are cattails and compare. Use that as a reference. But regardless, Ill drive there and check it out if it looks good from a map.
mnwild

Unread postby mnwild » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:35 pm

Maverick1 wrote:So, did you get out there?

I haven't made it in there yet, I did get close from the opposite side of the river walking in. On that side I saw a couple decent trails coming out of the low area onto the high ground, assuming they come from their.

I agree with comparing to other similar areas to see if it might be cattails as well, as others have said I think this area is probably more swamp grass and not cattails.
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:40 am

From what I’ve noticed it’s a little hard to tell what is cattails or bog (saw grass). I have also done the comparison thing as was mentioned but it’s still tough.

What I have noticed in my comparisons is the areas that have really defined trails through them, or usually cat tails. If the trails are a little more faint it’s probably sawgrass.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”