Newbie Asking for Help with an Area

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Newbie Asking for Help with an Area

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:38 am

If this is public land my first piece of advice is to delete those cam pics!!!

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:12 am

btsnhos wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:I can see why you had a buck sighting on point one.
It has multiple wind bedding in that area.
Has a good drainage leading upto multiple bedding points and easy escape or to wind change.

Water is nearby and chances are that area has alot of different terrain features and edges.

The general area around that holds everything a buck needs to survive.

Plus a low natural funnel on private between the lake and field. The left white circle looks really good .
Sets up perfect for a cold front rut cruising crosswind and probably bedding too.

Also bedding is probably in that area on a southerly wind blowing towards the north. That little spot looks great if noones pressuring it.

If I were scout this map I would look near where I circled yellow and white for bedding.
Screenshot_20210719-123131_Painter.jpg

Not trying to hijack this thread but can you expand on why you think point one has multiple wind bedding areas? Is it because, like you posted, the drainage, water, etc? You mention the multiple bedding points, which bedding points are you seeing?

Sure when I zoom in on point one .
I can see 2 potential types of bedding.
Farm and hill.

Farm the bucks can bed around the edge of that field with the wind coming over their backs. Eyes in front watching the field.

Hill they can bed on a north to south wind facing the road and smelling the fields.

The most west pink dot the wind could blow from the field over his back too so they could pretty much bed in the same spot on two different winds.

Then comes thermals and its a biggie due to the heat of the day all that scent from that field is being pulled up that hill right to those bedded bucks.

So you have a thermal coming up and a wind overback. Making killing him be very difficult.

Hopefully this better describes it.

Screenshot_20210729-180921_Painter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:26 am

Ognennyy wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:I can see why you had a buck sighting on point one.
It has multiple wind bedding in that area.
Has a good drainage leading upto multiple bedding points and easy escape or to wind change.

Water is nearby and chances are that area has alot of different terrain features and edges.

The general area around that holds everything a buck needs to survive.

Plus a low natural funnel on private between the lake and field. The left white circle looks really good .
Sets up perfect for a cold front rut cruising crosswind and probably bedding too.

Also bedding is probably in that area on a southerly wind blowing towards the north. That little spot looks great if noones pressuring it.

If I were scout this map I would look near where I circled yellow and white for bedding.
Screenshot_20210719-123131_Painter.jpg

Out of curiosity why are you so keyed in on southern winds? OP didn't state where in the country he is.

Which area are you talking about?

If your discussing point one the reason I focus on southern winds is because it is the safest wind for the buck to bed. Wind over his back eyes watching the field.

Thermal pulling up from the field as soon as the thermal rise kicks in up that hill right into his nose with his eyes scanning the field for danger.

Also if the buck smells a threat from the road to the south he can immediately drop into that bottom have the wind to his back and slip out to the northwest . It's very secure escape.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Waddams

Unread postby Waddams » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:45 am

As one more point of info. - what Tennhunter is saying about bedding around that field, the day I saw 'em there (doe got up, buck came up from the draw and chased her off, I didn't get a shot on them, too much in the way when they were slower, and when they got to an open shooting lane they were booking it rather fast), the buck came right from the purple dot on the most left of the group, at the field corner.

Thank you Tennhunter - I need to pay more attention to winds and figure out how to get in there quieter, as well as figure out how to get up a tree quieter. Usually it seems to me I'm making so much noise no matter what I do I'm probably screwing myself up at the outset. Was looking at the tape strips to put on my climber to dampen noise on it during set up, and have been watching youtube vids on stepping through heavy, dry leaf and stick cover in the woods and making less noise.

If this is public land my first piece of advice is to delete those cam pics!!!

I wasn't too worried about it in this instance. Maybe someone can figure out where it is, if they can, more power to them. That spot is very hard to hunt. I'll try again in bow season this year but come rifle season, I'm moving on.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:01 am

I totally understand what you mean. But that is way too recognizable piece of ground and there are way too many clues left in the screenshot. I am just giving you a heads up because you have a lot of info in here that you gained thru your hard work and time (not to mention if another member hunts this same area).

As far as figuring out the bucks. You are getting the same bucks you got during daylight at night later into the season? All you have to do is figure out which direction they are coming/going vs the time the pic was taken and that will help narrow the amount of ground way down. If you are looking for those particular bucks.

If you are looking for just any good buck then it is more about figuring out a spot they are likely to travel during daylight where you have clean access and steady wind. If you are having problems with swirling wind and back drafts it is because of where you are setup in relation to topography.

As far as being quieter. Just slow down. Learn to sound like a squirrel digging in the dry leaves. I walk right up into bow range of deer doing that. It takes patience. Climbing the tree, just go slow. Climbing during the day, if the bark is loud, It’s not uncommon for me to scrape at the bark, then tap on it to sound like one of those big woodpeckers. Take several minute breaks between moving your climber sections. Just blend in. Works like a charm.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”