• Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Catch of the Day!

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:28 am

Jonny wrote:
matt1336 wrote:Jonny is a fishing icon.

It’s Lake Erie. Not to sound cocky but it’s stupid easy to catch fish out there. As long as you can get out to where they are, it’s real easy fishing. Usually 2 hours to get 18 walleyes to keep for 3 guys. And that includes throwing back everything under 18”. No big ones this year. I’m holding a 25” and 26”

In contrast, Winnebago and Green Bay are like fishing after a big cold front possible in comparison. Night and day difference. And I usually prefer the challenge, but this is fun for a week every year

I live close to Lake Erie. I mostly fish the back waters coming off the lake. Bass fishing or carp shooting has been great this year also

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:50 am

Eaten Good in the Neighborhood

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:26 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Eaten Good in the Neighborhood

How do you like that bubba blade?

I really dislike electrics and my havalon is great for cutting out bones and portioning but the blade isn’t long enough nor has enough backbone to do the heavier cutting.

Nice crappies as well. Love the mix of black and white. Don’t see many white crappies by me
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Actually I luv that dang knife! Just kind of unattended plopped it down there. I’m not big on electronic knives myself, I get to many bones and they don’t have any “feel” I have used the Bubba for a couple months now and by far the best fillet knife I’ve ever owned. Typically always got a Wally World cheapo, won’t say they don’t do the job. But prob I’ve had was the blade only goes a inch or so into the handle often breaking off cutting the **** out of your thumb in the process. The bubba’s blade goes all the way down to a very generous non slip, ergonomic handle. While I wouldn’t say it would ever catch a guy more fish, nor he couldn’t make do with out it. If you clean a lot of fish u would appreciate a better performing blade at basically the same price point.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:20 am

Sank me a brush pile behind the house along a creek channel last Wednesday. Decided to check it this morning to see if it held any fruit. Nothing to write home about but plucked these as fast as I could drop a jig. Good times.....

-John Wayne-
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:02 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Sank me a brush pile behind the house along a creek channel last Wednesday. Decided to check it this morning to see if it held any fruit. Nothing to write home about but plucked these as fast as I could drop a jig. Good times.....

You must be the new richard gene the fishing machine! Your one heck of a fisherman by the pictures you post! I wish i could catch 1/8 of what you do! :clap:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:26 am

Moose wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Sank me a brush pile behind the house along a creek channel last Wednesday. Decided to check it this morning to see if it held any fruit. Nothing to write home about but plucked these as fast as I could drop a jig. Good times.....

You must be the new richard gene the fishing machine! Your one heck of a fisherman by the pictures you post! I wish i could catch 1/8 of what you do! :clap:

Ha! The secret is never show the bad days :lol: Na, I really appreciate the kinds words man. But in all honesty I’m just one of those guys who for either financial reasons or lack of motivation I’ve always just hunted/fished around the house. Just saying you fish the same lake 100+ days a year for 30 years there’s not a heck of a lot of mystery. I don’t have near the confidence to enter a tournament on a strange body of water. But on my home court I like my odds. From pros to Joes a fella better pack a lunch cause it’s gonna be a long day lol. Don’t mean it any skill way, but heck a guy on a new lake with 2 days to pre fish. Just has a slim chance against a guy who’s been out there every day for months and I don’t care what kind of electronics they got. Sorry to ramble but I luv it! And anyone can do just as good or not better if they just get out there.
-John Wayne-
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:10 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Moose wrote:

Ha! The secret is never show the bad days :lol: Na, I really appreciate the kinds words man. But in all honesty I’m just one of those guys who for either financial reasons or lack of motivation I’ve always just hunted/fished around the house. Just saying you fish the same lake 100+ days a year for 30 years there’s not a heck of a lot of mystery. I don’t have near the confidence to enter a tournament on a strange body of water. But on my home court I like my odds. From pros to Joes a fella better pack a lunch cause it’s gonna be a long day lol. Don’t mean it any skill way, but heck a guy on a new lake with 2 days to pre fish. Just has a slim chance against a guy who’s been out there every day for months and I don’t care what kind of electronics they got. Sorry to ramble but I luv it! And anyone can do just as good or not better if they just get out there.

You crack me up
:lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Moose wrote:

You crack me up
:lol:

Don’t cut yourself short Mr Ed, you got some doozies hidden in the archives. Think in my case when a guy doesnt give a flip about brownie points and will throw it out there it comes across as funny.

You want some good ones I got a few when I guided for catfish that make my own eyes water 15 years later. Worst job I ever had. Just saying...
-John Wayne-
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:11 pm

What are you using to catch them? You might have wrote it before sorry if I missed it. Thanks
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Hawthorne wrote:

What are you using to catch them? You might have wrote it before sorry if I missed it. Thanks

I use feather jigs mostly, usually of 1/16 oz variety. I tie em myself for added pleasure but for the most part doesn’t feel it really matters. I like feather jigs cause I don’t have to carry a pocket full of skirts or if I miss one worry about the skirt being pulled down. For myself productive time in the “strike zone” is the difference from an ok day and a great day.

When fishing mossy type stuff I prefer soft plastics. That moss just sticks to tied jigs like something fierce. I pour a cap full of veg oil in a bag full of jig tails and they slide through the stuff. Have my opinions on colors but end of the day that’s what they are just opinions.
-John Wayne-
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:21 pm

85FE67D0-E200-40C0-AC86-5AA31EF545B5.jpeg

Caught a mess of gills today with my 9 year old daughter. Literally hundreds of them on the spawning beds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:51 am

Dang, I’m jealous of you guys with the giant blue gill. Biggest one I have ever caught was not even the size of my palm. Bet them biggens can really pull some drag on light tackle. Have been told they are mighty fine table fare as well.

I decided to do something I have not done in years today. Picked up my old cane pole, bought some chicken liver, a balsa wood cork, and a pkg of #4 trebles. Headed for a cove that holds my childhood home and waded the weeds. Something about an old cane pole just takes me back to happy times. That nostalgia quickly faded when I realized how heavy this sucker is. My shoulder is killing me. How I fished with that thing from daylight to dark for years amazes me. Dog days of summer are definitely here with temp hitting mid 90s b4 9 a.m. All in all was a very memorable day. Cooking these for my dad on Father’s Day. Catfish are his favorite. I know.... the man has no class :lol:

-John Wayne-
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:19 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Dang, I’m jealous of you guys with the giant blue gill. Biggest one I have ever caught was not even the size of my palm. Bet them biggens can really pull some drag on light tackle. Have been told they are mighty fine table fare as well.

I decided to do something I have not done in years today. Picked up my old cane pole, bought some chicken liver, a balsa wood cork, and a pkg of #4 trebles. Headed for a cove that holds my childhood home and waded the weeds. Something about an old cane pole just takes me back to happy times. That nostalgia quickly faded when I realized how heavy this sucker is. My shoulder is killing me. How I fished with that thing from daylight to dark for years amazes me. Dog days of summer are definitely here with temp hitting mid 90s b4 9 a.m. All in all was a very memorable day. Cooking these for my dad on Father’s Day. Catfish are his favorite. I know.... the man has no class :lol:

Cry me A river... :P
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:41 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Dang, I’m jealous of you guys with the giant blue gill. Biggest one I have ever caught was not even the size of my palm. Bet them biggens can really pull some drag on light tackle. Have been told they are mighty fine table fare as well.

Cry me A river... :P

No tears! Have always said if the avg guy walked a mile in my shoes they would either be in the hospital or nutt house :lol: But shoulder does have me folded up like a wounded mallard. Hey, you don’t happen to have the number for Mr. Krafts massage therapist over at Happy Endings do ya?
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Lake Fishing”