Im getting into trout fishing. Any advice?

• Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

Im getting into trout fishing. Any advice?

Unread postby buttonbuck » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:25 am

Ill be starting my adventure into trout fishing this weekend, in the Oconee creeks of SC. Ol trout fishermen said 6lb line, #6 barbed hook, worms bounce it off the bottom, cast and walk up river quite like. Attacking areas of pooling water, logs and rocks and such.

Anything you can offer advice wise id appreciate. Im using rod and open cast reel.

hunter_mike

Re: Im getting into trout fishing. Any advice?

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:41 am

Ive caught quite a few in small creeks in WI with a small mepps spinner
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:13 pm

The execution sounds correct, but both the 6 lb and #6 hooks might be a bit large for smaller stream trout. I typically use 6 lb leader and size 8 hooks for 5+ lb steelhead up here in MI....not sure what size fish you are targeting. When stream trout fishing I would typically run a size 10-12 hook with 4 lb test.....that will easily land 16-18” trout if you have a light enough rod.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:38 pm

Used to trout fish as a kid while at my grandparents for the summers. A variety of those little spinner lures we called them rooster tails would consistently crush.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:46 am

I used to trout fish a ton. My favorite was fishing for native brookies in small brooks, streams, etc with a spinning rod and worms. I always used very light tackle, short stiffer sensitive rod and lighter leaders with the drag set very low. I got into fly-fishing later on and lived on one of the best rivers in the country for fly fishing and got really spoiled and bored of it. I don't do any of it much anymore.
If your running a worm (nightcrawler, meal worm, garden worm whatever) ideally you are working your way downstream from pool to pool. Your not casting very far, just want to toss it into the right current that will carry it downstream to where the fish are held up. You want your bait to flow naturally into the pool with the current then settle out in the deeper holes or behind boulders where the water swirls around where any food would naturally settle out. That's often where the fish are waiting for something to come to. Worms were my preferred bait because i believe you can achieve a more natural presentation to the waiting fish by floating one in to them. If you crank a lure past them they often get suprised and need to be in the mood to go after it then after a few passes they tend to lose interest pretty quickly. I also was catch and release only so a lure with a treble hook was much harder on the fish not only catching them but also wrestling it out of their mouth and that stress will often lead to them dying after release. Especially with native trout, they just seemed to not handle the stress anywhere as well as a stocker will.
The hook and leader size is not a big deal it's more important to get the right size sinker and put it in the right place above the bait so that the bait is going to float through as close to the center of the water "column" as possible. The depth and current speed for a particular spot will dictate the sinker set up for that day. Bouncing it across the bottom is just asking for snags and you want to feel the fish poking at it rather than feel it bouncing across the bottom and then floating it up too high lots of times you will get more Lookers than takers, that's what dry flys are for. Sometimes the fish are deeper or more in the currents than the slower water it is all dependent upon all the condition factors on the given day like if it's hot out, or sunny, water clear or murky, high or low flow. Those are all the fun things you get to figure out with experience.
Depending on where your fishing the fish can get spooked easy if they are not used to activity around them. It's best to stay in the shadows and not get too close to the target location. You do a few floats then move forward towards that hole to hit the next one down after it's "burned out". Getting in the water makes it much easier to line up with the current to send your bait into whatever little pocket you want to target. Hip boots are a must at the least, waders if your in deeper stuff. I have even worn camo in tight little streams where I have to get close because it's so thick. Undisturbed fish see you moving and they dive under a rock and you ain't catching them.
I could go on but those are just some of the most important things that come to mind.
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:44 am

I've had pretty good luck using small jigs for trout in streams. Berkley tubes, Trout magnets and also the Trout Magnet Trout slayer crayfish. I never use the float just bounce them off the bottom. If it's running too fast, put a split shot in front of it. Meal worms on a clear float, Roostertail spinners usually 1/8 oz black and rainbow trout patterns are my favorite. Trout that have been in a creek a while really look for things to look natural. Throw upstream and bring it down with the current. Look for things to break up the current that they can sit behind. Either that or I'll throw across the stream and let the current take it. Let it come across and if it's a jig, keep it off the bottom and keep twitching it. If they are stocked and it's a deep murky pool, power bait on the bottom will always catch a few fish. Good luck.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:42 am

How big are the streams you are fishing?

We used to rock hop for brookies in ME, NH, VT - dangle a worm in a pool and you had a fish on. 6-8 inches was big. Caught a 10-incher by hand once.

Then it was beaver ponds with mepps and rooster tails or little cleo spoons - tore em up. Bigger fish to 12-15 inches.

Then it was larger streams/small rivers - leanred how to use small Rapalas and tore the fish up. Biggest was about 20 inches, but had some larger fish on. Can't horse em with the small hooks.

Then did some big water fishing in Niagara NY. bigger bow is 28 inches, lakers to whatever...

Mixed in was landlocked salmon and fly fishing, and fly tying, and whatever else.

Enjoy the journey. Not many fish as pretty as a trout.
todd4554

Unread postby todd4554 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:35 am

With spinning gear I would go 4-pound test as well. Also, second the 10 or 12 hooks, I prefer 12 but they both work. Put a split shot above the hook 12 inches or so. The exact placement and size are dependant on the water characteristics really, sometimes no weight is needed. This is the most important part. green label salmon eggs, rigged in a triangle. Two on the shank and one on the point completely covering the hook. Proceed to catch your limit in a half-hour tops.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:05 am

Ever since I was salmon fished the Kenai in Alaska last summer, I've been wanting to find a place in Wisconsin where I can do the same type of river fishing. I wouldn't mind if it's trout, salmon, or steelhead. Just the same type of river fishing. If SingingBridge chimes in, I think he does a bit of trout fishing.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:43 am

Tim H wrote:Ever since I was salmon fished the Kenai in Alaska last summer, I've been wanting to find a place in Wisconsin where I can do the same type of river fishing. I wouldn't mind if it's trout, salmon, or steelhead. Just the same type of river fishing. If SingingBridge chimes in, I think he does a bit of trout fishing.

Tim I'm sorry but once you experience fishing on the Kenai there is no replacing it.
I caught a 28" rainbow up there and then had to go back home to New Hampshire and try to be happy catching a 16" rainbow now and then.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:16 am

Noreast10pt wrote:
Tim H wrote:Ever since I was salmon fished the Kenai in Alaska last summer, I've been wanting to find a place in Wisconsin where I can do the same type of river fishing. I wouldn't mind if it's trout, salmon, or steelhead. Just the same type of river fishing. If SingingBridge chimes in, I think he does a bit of trout fishing.

Tim I'm sorry but once you experience fishing on the Kenai there is no replacing it.
I caught a 28" rainbow up there and then had to go back home to New Hampshire and try to be happy catching a 16" rainbow now and then.

Yeah I know there is no replacing it, but I just want a little taste of it. The salmon we caught weren't huge. Just some average reds. But I really enjoyed using the fly rods, wadering up, and the sound of the water. If I could find some 3-6 lbs steelheads and or trout which we have in the great lakes, I'd be game for it. :lol:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:45 am

Pinocchio asked the same thing ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:06 pm

I could write a book here :lol:

Line your reel with 8 or 10# test and carry small spools of 4, 6, and 8lb test. Learn a double surgeons knot and tie whatever of those sizes is right as a leader on the end of that main line for the conditions you're fishing or type of lure you're fishing with. If you're throwing spinners/spoons/etc you are gonna wanna go up to 6lb or 8lb depending on the size of fish where you're at as they can just crush a bait fish imitation. If the water is clear, you will need to go lighter, dirty you can get away with a lot.

Worms or spinners can be fished upstream or down, I prefer fishing downstream for both but some rivers you cant get away with it. Lure color matters, so does size, mix things up till you find what works for your streams.

When throwing worms or bait fish imitations, its key to stay in contact with the lure. Slack is the enemy. If you're drifting a weighted worm through a run, you want to be able to feel the tick tick tick of that weight as it bounces along the bottom. If you cant feel it you have too much or too little weight. If you're fishing an unweighted worm, you wanna use the force to detect bites, dont get frustrated or give up, it gets easier with experience. Bobbers help, too.

Trout are extremely aware of their surroundings, move slow, wear camo, dont get in the river unless you have to. Stay low. Spend some time observing the run you're about to fish before you fish it. Rest holes after you take a fish from them instead going right back at it. You'd be surprised how many fish you can pull out of a single spot.

Get the best polarized sunglasses you can afford, copper or amber lenses are good for most Midwest conditions.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:29 pm

I’ve never fished for trout a day in my life. But I don’t see why they would be any different than any other kind of fish. So I will throw my 2cents out there. There is basically 2 kinds of fish active and non active. By active I mean fish trying to feed, by non active I’m referring to fish setting up shop for the day.

Active fish feed in highly predictable spots that make feeding easier. Much easier to catch a fish that’s in search of an easy meal than trying to make one bite. Since u r using live bait I suggest u stick to the active fish and spend your time in the mornings an evenings. Non active fish take a different approach and are more spread out.

Find those sweet spots that encourage feeding and u will do well. Takes a lil effort and trial/error but if u wanna catch em stick with it and I’m sure u will figure it out.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:12 am

I’m a little different. I use 2# line on a 500 series reel with a UL rod. Everything from soft baits to hardware with this combo. Stuff like crappie jigs and trout worms are always worth packing. I always fault to going small when it comes to trout. 14 hooks are about as big as I’ll go and really like 16 and 18’s. Thomas Boyuants are big and clunky but straight catch fish. Small flat fish are also a killer. Good luck to you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”