Steelhead or Salmon anyone ?

• Advertisement

HB Store

deerhunterdon

Steelhead or Salmon anyone ?

Unread postby deerhunterdon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:22 am

Alright guys , are there any steelhead fishers on the beast ?

This is going to be my first year out on one of Michigan's great lakes Tribs. I am pretty excited. I have some questions, well actually a few hundred ! lol If anyone out there is a salmon or steelheader . I could use some info.

oldrank

Re: Steelhead or Salmon anyone ?

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:35 am

I love chasing steel. I dont do much salmon fishing anymore. I cant say Im a pro by any means but I have caught hundreds of steelhead over the years. I mainly fish late winter n spring.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
deerhunterdon

Unread postby deerhunterdon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:08 pm

I have some questions if you dont mind.

I bought a okuma steelheader rod. (spinning) It 10 foot med action line 6- 12 is this ok for steelhead ?
I went to sporting goods store and looked at hooks WOW ! expensive. and tiny for such a big fish. size 8 gamakatsu ??? any recomendations ?
I have been watching videos of guys fly fishing ..........I want one. lol. should I shy away from fly fishing until I get a couple ? Cabelas has a prestige plus combo for like 169 .00 hmmmmn.
wht is the best way for a newbie to catch a fish, lol. or at least hook one . drift ? , indicator ? , bead ? spawn bag ?
Am I supposed to actually see the fish and start fishing them or just holes ?

sorry so many questions.....I need a Mentor just like hunting , but I dont know anyone. lol.

Thank you for taking the time to help.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:38 pm

The okuma should work fine. I spool up with 10lb test maxima for my main line. That way I can run a 6 or 8 lb leader. For darker deeper water I run the 8. If its low n clear Ill drop to 6 or even 4 lb. I like the 8 the best cause I can handle the fish in water with alot of wood. They are very powerful. 6 lb takes some play n 4 takes alot of skill to finesse the fish in.

I personally only drift fish with a spinning rod. I tried a centerpin this yr but need more practice. I would recommend getting a few on the okuma to get a feel for them. It takes a few to understand the technique to land one. You cant horse em. Keep your drag loose enough you wont snap your line. I like to move up the bank with the fish so I put almost no tension on my line. The noodle rod will take alot of the shock. When they wanna run lower your tip n let em take line. Stop em n steer em with the rod.

I use an assortment of hook sizes. I get em at walmart on sale or hit Fish n Tackle grab bag n get em in bulk. As long as they are sharp they work. Alot of guys recommend egg hooks.. I catch em on a good short shank mustad or eagle claws too no problem.

You can site fish em but you have to think if you can see the fish it can see you. Your more apt to line em. I like to run dark water where I know they are holding. If your working a river, just like deer have trails steelhead do too. You can work a run n pic fish of all day if you have good numbers.

I run spawn or waxies or beads..but my simplest bait is a small wad of yarn on a little hook. It looks like a single egg. They hammer it n its cheap n easy. Ill save my eggs from my hens n freeze em. Some I cure some I dont.. They can be picky n having an assortment will put fish in the net on those days.

Good luck.

Last edited by oldrank on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deerhunterdon

Unread postby deerhunterdon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks ! Theres some great info in your post ! Im pretty excited ! I hear Salmon are coming first , might try them too ! lol Thanks again !
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:20 pm

Good luck on salmon. The numbers are way down on both sides. They run skein under a float mainly for them. If u do go up to the west side send me a pm. I can probably still get u on some fish. I know a few honey holes.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:30 pm

They do get some summer run skamania steelhead on the west side. Guys were killing em a couple weeks ago. Back in my youngers days I would chase em all over the state. Now I hit em a few times a year.. I do miss the adventure.

deerhunterdon

Unread postby deerhunterdon » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:25 am

Im about 130 miles from muskegon or manistee. Im in the the Clio area. I think I would rather go to the west side than anywhere else, lol.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:31 am

Been fishing steel and kings from the piers from both the west and east side for 25 years..Mainly Oscoda, Ludington, and Manistee..Summer run Skams as well on the Big Man...

Be happy to help if you have any questions...

Regards,

Chad

Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:16 am

I love to steelhead and salmon fish.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”