Fly fishing for trout

• Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Fly fishing for trout

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:27 am

Recently I have become very interested in fly fishing although I have never tried it yet. When I was out in Yellowstone it really caught my attention as something I would really like to learn how to do in my lifetime. Being out in Iowa scouting has really opened my eyes to how many opportunities that are out there fairly close to home in the driftless region of the eastern part of the state along with western WI.

I inherited some fly fishing gear from my Dad that was passed down to him from my uncle. It's not much, just an older fly rod and reel along with a small box of flies but it is bugging the heck out of me not putting that stuff to use. It seems to be calling me and begging to be in a stream. Hard to explain but I think now is the time for me to learn how to do this.

Been looking thru the Cabela's Fly Fishing catalog and like anything it seems there is a pretty overwhelming amount of gear available. The prices on some of the reels are crazy! :shock:

What basics do I need other than a rod and a few flies?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Crazinamatese

Re: Fly fishing for trout

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:38 am

I got back into fly fishing last year after an 18 year hiatus from the sport. I bought a $40 Three Forks rod (cheapest one I could find ;) ) last summer at Cabelas and it works excellent. I recommend floating fly line too. Im not to big on using dry flies, thats just me. I like my nymphs and streamers with the metal beads because they sink faster. Maybe some hip waders and a small net would be necessary, box of assorted flies, finger nail clippers, forceps, and polarized sun glasses. If you want to keep fish, maybe a creel is needed. Thats all I use and bring with and I didn't spend a ton of money. Do some looking around.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:48 am

Crazinamatese wrote:I got back into fly fishing last year after an 18 year hiatus from the sport. You don't have go to expensive. I bought a $40 Three Forks rod (cheapest one I could find ;) ) last summer at Cabelas and it works excellent. I bought the reel separate for about $60 at a fly fishing shop. You probably can find a decent reel for a lower price if you look around. I recommend floating fly line too. Im not to fond using dry flies. I like my nymphs and streamers. Maybe some hip waders and a small net would be necessary, box of assorted flies, finger nail clippers, forceps, and polarized sun glasses. Thats all I use and bring with.

I think the rod/reel combo I have will work fine. The reel has a spring mechanism the spins the line back in with a finger lever. I would post a pic but not at home right now. Kinda neat and seems to work well even though it's pretty old. It's already loaded with floating line but I'm sure it needs to be replaced with newer stuff. Sounds like all I need is a small net and everything else I already have. Maybe a few more nymphs and streamers.

I'll add some pics later tonight of what I have.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:50 am

Im personally not a fan of that kind of reel, but if you can make it work do it. New line is probably a good idea and new tippets too. I modified my last post, but a creel too if you want to keep fish.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:55 am

Waders, some fly boxes, flies, nail clippers to cut line, dry fly goop (if you are fishing dry flies, good line and backing and some tippet material. Good polarized sunglasses help.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:58 am

I also use a chest pack to keep my things in. http://www.sears.com/allen-company-bear ... 3987022321

I also keep my forceps and clippers hanging from these retractors. Makes it way easier to access them and not have to dig into pockets and dropping them into the water. http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly- ... extensions
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:05 pm

I used to spend 40 days a spring fishing. It was the most frustrating thing I have ever tried until I "got it". I would fish beside a seasoned fishermen and he would catch fish on dry flies, me 0.

All my boots and waders are purchased from LL Bean. That way when I rip / tear or they break, I can replace them.
My rods and reels are also LL Bean. I have broken a few rods. The last rod I ended up getting is really really nice.
- I use dry shake descant for my dry flies. Really works well to keep you flies light and life like. Fly gets wet, dab it dry and put in shaker, shake and its ready to go.
- headlamp, some of the best hatch happens right at dark and its really difficult to tie on a #14 parchute adams @ 9pm
-Flies - I tie a bunch of my own. Also, I would go to a local fly shop. Ask them. Buy ones they recommend. Find out how they fish on the areas you go. Once you figure out which flies you like best, buy them on ebay or in bulk. I caught most browns and brookies on certain rivers with the same 8-10 flies. When I travel to fish for salmon, streamers were a big hit. I fished more streamers for salmon than anything
-wading stick, certain rivers are pretty nasty and dangerous. wading stick is a huge help
-tapered leader packets. I carry a bunch of leader packets with me. 4x, 5x, 6x 7.5' and 9'
-tippet 4x,5x,6x,7x for retying onto the tapered leader. I used to tie some of my own leaders but nothing casts better than brand new tapered leader

I cannot stress enough to rely on local fly shops for fly recommendations. Those guys have helped me immensely. In return, I purchased flies from them.

Flyfishing for Bass
I also used to spend a lot of July and August fishing homemade poppers for bass. My buddy and I used to tie all kinds of crazy stuff with rabbits fur and spend a lot of time in canoes fishing for bass. 4-5# large mouth is a fun fight on a 5wt rod. My best recommend would be to run some "big and nasty" fly line if your going to bass fish. Its super heavy weight forward and you can get 60-70' of line out with just a couple of false casts. So much easier to fish with bigger plugs.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:52 pm

It's definitely worth it Dewey- I highly recommend it. I will be fly fishing some northern Michigan streams in a couple of weeks.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:26 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:It's definitely worth it Dewey- I highly recommend it. I will be fly fishing some northern Michigan streams in a couple of weeks.

Dewey/Singing -- what kind of trout you guys fish for?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:33 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:It's definitely worth it Dewey- I highly recommend it. I will be fly fishing some northern Michigan streams in a couple of weeks.

Haven't fish for any yet..............I'm a virgin. :oops:

:lol:

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Dewey wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:

Haven't fish for any yet..............I'm a virgin. :oops:

:lol:

It is addicting. When the fish are hammering hard...what a ball. Dry fly fishing in pocket water is probably my favorite.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:33 pm

This is what I have. It's all fairly old but in good condition. Actually have quite a bit more flies than I originally thought. It's not much but should be enough to get started at least.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:48 pm

This site has been an awesome source of information.

http://theflyfishingbasics.com/getting- ... strations/

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:56 am

Here's another great site Dewey:

http://flyanglersonline.com/

Click on the Flyfishing Basics tab on the left side of the page.

Make sure your new line matches the rod. It should say what is recommended someplace on the rod. For small streams I'd buy a 7" tapered leader that goes down to 2x. Then buy spools of tippet in 3,4,5 and 6x. Use these to build down to the appropriate size tippet for the size hook your using.

Number one thing. Watch some fly casting demos on YouTube. Then practice in the yard to get the hang of it. Most important is the sudden stops at the end of the back and fore casts. That's where the power comes from.

I'd start out indicator nymph fishing. 90% of what trout eat is found on or near the bottom. I think yarn indicators work the best. Make sure to buy the special small sized split shot specifically for flyfishing. Think small when it comes to flies. Size 16 and under.

Don't be afraid to start out on a lake for bluegills. It helps to understand about how to get the cast started while in the water. With the extra tension from the water.

If you want PM me and I can send you a few of my favorite flies. And the set up to fish them.

Good luck!! And beware. It's just as addicting as bowhunting!!!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:43 am

Dewey wrote:Image

The wooly bugger (top middle) is my favorite for big rainbows hiding in eddies in the shallow rapids. I would cast upstream and just let it drift down the rapids and sometimes there would be a nice fish hiding in a pocket and it would hook on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”