Trail cameras on public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Trail cameras on public land

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:19 am

First of all is this legal? SEcond if it is legal I am wondering the odds of it getting stolen which im guessing is pretty high. Any tips about placing trail cams on public without them getting stolen? I was thinking of using a ladder getting up into the tree then facing the camera downwards towards the deer trail.

PLB
500 Club

Re: Trail cameras on public land

Unread postby PLB » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:32 am

That's a good idea but unless you have a remote location its tough! I use them in the summer but i pull them before season.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:22 am

I do three things to try and prevent my cameras from getting stolen:
#1 - Place it high when able. I always carry strap on tree steps when scouting for that purpose.
#2 - Lock it with a cable lock that goes through the body of the camera.
#3 - Camouflage it well. You'll get more pics of animals if you have a hard time seeing the camera.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:20 pm

Good tips from PLB and NB- Unless I'm in a big cedar swamp that really discourages others, I avoid that two weeks before gun season right on through gun season like the plague.
CatfishJack

Unread postby CatfishJack » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:45 pm

I don't own a camera, but have been thinking seriously of buying one. I was thinking of putting the camera out only in the off season and pulling it about 3 weeks before bow hunting opened. I don't think I will buy one this year, but I would be awful cautious about putting it out where people would stumble on it.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Last year I had my camera stolen.And I would rather not say what I would,ve done to the man if I ever found him. Very,frustrating. I,ve since made some laminated cards that hang onto my camera that state. " Congragalations you have found one of my trail cameras ,now good luck finding the other one that has just taken your picture" I can,t wait to put them out we,ll see what happens.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Swampthing wrote:Last year I had my camera stolen.And I would rather not say what I would,ve done to the man if I ever found him. Very,frustrating. I,ve since made some laminated cards that hang onto my camera that state. " Congragalations you have found one of my trail cameras ,now good luck finding the other one that has just taken your picture" I can,t wait to put them out we,ll see what happens.

I did the same exact thing with a note in my camera last year after getting the idea from somebody on BBO. I had a few pics of other guys but nobody stole my camera so I would have to say it worked so far! :D
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:26 am

I have a neighbor that asked permission for his step son to cross my property to access the public marsh. I granted permission without meeting the young man. But I do see him around every now and then... So anyway, a few times a year he would pass thru from there landlocked property.
a few years ago, I had a trail camera ( 35mm ) in the back right on the edge of the public. We rarely see people down there cause it is pretty land locked and someone would have to go out of there way to get near my place... So, anywho I glance the step kid walk thru the yard with bow and go right down where the camera was. I kind of chuckled and thought, at least I will get a pic of him if no deer come thru.
Next day I went down there to check on it. Maybe a little cautious that he may have took it on me. And you guessed... Camera gone!
Kind of a sticky situation, I did not want to cause problems with the neighbor, but I was pretty sure the step kid that they praise as perfect took the camera...
I was out in the yard later and the neighbor came over. We chatted about some stuff for awhile then I said " Could you ask your stepson if he saw anybody down by my back yard yesterday? I saw him down there hunting right after I put a trail camera down there and this morning I checked on it and its gone. Hoping maybe he saw whoever was messing around down there"
Well.. The neighbor gets a funny look on his face and gets real quiet and says he will ask him and leaves... I started thinking I probably should of not said it like that cause neighbor is probably thinking I was accusing his step son...
Next morning I get up for work at 2AM and stumble out to my truck and my trail camera is sitting on the front seat... Film still inside. Sooo, I took it to walmart to develop and had a really nice picture of the neighbor kid grabbing the camera... Nothing was ever said by either of us about it again.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:16 am

Great story! Made me chuckle...
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Swampthing wrote:Last year I had my camera stolen.And I would rather not say what I would,ve done to the man if I ever found him. Very,frustrating. I,ve since made some laminated cards that hang onto my camera that state. " Congragalations you have found one of my trail cameras ,now good luck finding the other one that has just taken your picture" I can,t wait to put them out we,ll see what happens.

Great idea! I have some yellow ribbon that goes around the tree thet says "Reserved" Then I sign my name and write like 2009 Deer season or Bear season! Worked well for me so far :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:23 pm

I have been using a camera or two each year for deer inventory purposes. I don't use them "in-season" but rather hang them from July until August. I hang them on funnels that lead to and from the bedding areas and on nearby water sources. I set them for the daylight trigger so as not to spook any deer (I only have the flash kind). All that I am trying to do is confirm a buck that I may have found sign from, just to see if he is still in there and what he has grown into. Once I confirm him there, I pull the camera. I don't make routine trips to check the camera - just hang it and then three-weeks later pull it. Too many folks roaming public-ground just before season and in-season to take the chance of losing my cameras.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:31 am

The predator trail cameras now have sticker on the inside cover that say "THIS CAMERA IS EQUIPPED WITH A SECURITY CODE AND TRACKING DEVICE, WHICH ALLOWS THIS CAMERA TO BE LOCATED AT ANY TIME. THEFT IS A FELONY AND ALL PERPETRATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED IN THE COURT OF LAW. IF YOU ARE TRESPASSING YOU WILL NOT BE PROSECUTED, JUST LEAVE THE CAMERA ALONE, TURN AROUND, AND WALK AWAY.

I likes this!! I wonder if it really does have a tracking device?
T-Panic

Unread postby T-Panic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:19 am

I have a friend that puts about 15 cameras out for the Elk hunt. To my knowledge I don't think he has ever lost any, but this guy hikes into a very far and off the beaten path to hunt, so that might explain it. Most around here don't get within 200 yards away from their ATV's. I've been wanting to get a couple camera's and try it out, but Obama said I can't afford it!!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:09 am

Too bad cuddeback doesnt have the predator warning...THIS CAMERA IS EQUIPPED WITH A SECURITY CODE AND TRACKING DEVICE...that would scare a few people away i think. I like what PLH has to say about putting them in late summer get a big buck pic and take it out. Only problem is that I might be working a wildlife management job in California this summer so I wont be able to do that.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:50 am

I put a sticker on the outside of mine that says " Property on the state of New Jersey, Bobcat research program, tracking device inside"
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”