Narrowing it down.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Narrowing it down.

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:16 am

When looking at public places to hunt, how do you guys narrow it down to decide which places you want to look at first?

What are the most important factors when looking at the maps that puts a place at the top of your list to chech out?

Size of the property?
Ease/difficulty of access?
Terrain features?

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: Narrowing it down.

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:33 am

I check out every huntable parcel of land in my area. It's important to me to have as many hunting locations close to where I live as possible. First I drive around the circumference of it, or ride around it on my bike to make sure it's worth further investigation. If it's really hard to access (landlocked etc.), I get excited and spend extra time in my investigation (aerial maps, topos etc.) and focus on those spots. Every year I ask land owners of small parcels in my area for permission to hunt.

When looking at aerials, I try to find all of the funnels, pinch points, possible bedding. If the property has well defined transitions lines, I will mark and walk those making careful notes along the way. That's how I start to narrow it down.

That being said, I'm no expert. I know a few of the guys here are really good at pinpointing possible buck bedding locations on topos. Post a topo and I'm sure they will help you out.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:54 am

Im not necessarily talking about one specific property. If your looking at all the properties within one hour of your house, what dictates which ones you would check out first.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:57 am

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:02 am

Bucky wrote:http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7247

That is a good thread, so I guess just combining as many of those factors as you can would give you a good starting point.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:32 am

If they were all one hour from my house, I'd start with the property that I think has the best available bedding, food sources, water (rivers seem to hold good deer) and is hard to access. Some properties look like they would be easy to access, but aren't. For example, maybe they're off a highway with no parking or in back of a golf course.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:28 pm

I would say terrain features is the most key for me. Followed by pressure and ease of access. As far as terrain features go, take a look at all transition lines. This is a safe bet in almost any terrain. Deer are transition animals and will utilize the transition lines, and you should find deer sign if deer are using the area. If areas are heavily pressured, then finding out of the place areas can help, but there may not be any on a particular property, so this can be hit or miss. Ease of access can certainly cut down on hunting pressure, going a long distance off of trails where knee or hip boots are a must, can help, or crossing a river or creek. But I would say that the first thing I look for when seeing an aerial for the first time is where are the transition lines, and go from there (except hill country where a topo may be of more use).
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:52 pm

I specifically look for potential bedding areas and hard to access places that generally involve water of some kind. Sometimes these places are way back and other times they are just a couple hundred yards off of a road but finding places that most will not travel is the key.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 pm

I would drive around the areas early evening/morning for a few days before the stsrt of season, find where the deer are moving.
Then go in ASAP and kill one.

If you want only big bucks it gets more complicated.....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Less pressure=great. Areas that hold deer year round=great. Find both=a reliable and productive hunting experience.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:15 pm

headgear wrote:I specifically look for potential bedding areas and hard to access places that generally involve water of some kind. Sometimes these places are way back and other times they are just a couple hundred yards off of a road but finding places that most will not travel is the key.

Exactly what I would say. Very few of my Big Buck Beds don,t involve water of some sort . I,ve hardly ever found good beds with out getting wet.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Swampthing wrote:
headgear wrote:I specifically look for potential bedding areas and hard to access places that generally involve water of some kind. Sometimes these places are way back and other times they are just a couple hundred yards off of a road but finding places that most will not travel is the key.

Exactly what I would say. Very few of my Big Buck Beds don,t involve water of some sort . I,ve hardly ever found good beds with out getting wet.

Same here. I find that getting in the water get's rid of 90% of the hunting pressure. Hip boots or chest waders are probably my most important hunting item(other than my bow and Lone Wolf).
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas, lots of good info.

What about morning specific stands? I am switching to second shift starting in September so I will get to hunt a lot of weekday mornings on public land near my house. Is there anything you would or wouldnt do specifically for morning sits?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:38 pm

If you can only get out on the mornings I would learn to hunt the moon and save your best buck areas for the best moon days outside of the rut. The rest of the days could be used for in season scouting or shooting does.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7716
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:51 pm

headgear wrote:If you can only get out on the mornings I would learn to hunt the moon and save your best buck areas for the best moon days outside of the rut. The rest of the days could be used for in season scouting or shooting does.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7716

Good idea. Another factor to consider to be sure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”