Illegal stands

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Illegal stands

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:59 pm

Mgaspari wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
bgordorfski wrote:Call the DNR if it bothers you that much…. :think:

They got bigger problems in my area. I’m not running for political office so not looking for votes. It has become apparent to me the only way to deal with idiots is beat em at there own game. Does that make me better? No! Just helps me sleep better

Easy on the idiots comment. I hung a preset on public once in a spot I thought I could not do a hang and hunt because of noise setting up stand. So I went and bought a $30 lock on. Didn’t end up hunting the spot that year and completely forgot about the stand. 2 years later went in before dark and set up, right after daylight I could see a stand and was pissed. Thought who the would do that but as it got lighter and my memory kicked in I realized that I was that idiot. First and last time I ever left a stand up longer than overnight.

Mistakes happen, that’s fine I’ve made plenty. An example of what I’m talking bout….I scouted some public 3 weeks after the season ended. Followed some flagging tape, trash to discover a ladder stand bicycle chained to a tree, a corn feeder and a laminated note saying this area is being monitored by cell cams! Every parking area has a GIANT sign stating u can’t leave stands and it’s illegal to bait. I call this a idiot and make no apologies for it.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Ryan549 wrote:I don’t know if poacher is the correct term. More like lazy, rules don’t apply to me. Doesn’t mean that they are killing deer illegally.
I despise seeing stands in the woods. But I also despise trash in public parking, gutting gloves left in the woods and flagging ribbon everywhere.
You can’t police everyone and it will be more of a headache to try.
I just attempt to ignore it and do my thing

If they could/would not have killed deer without the illegal stand, poaching could describe it. Usually I see them far enough out that the lazy description you gave is about right.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Ragepassthru

Unread postby Ragepassthru » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:45 pm

PK_ wrote:I once saw two ladder stands on the same palm tree in a palmetto field. I figured the guy did it for morning/afternoon shade but now I wonder if we got a boogieman running around down here. :think: :lol:

Maybe he was taking a youth hunter out. Most of the stands we hang on private ground are for youth hunts. We take several local kids out. That way there's always an adult with them to give instruction and help keep their nerves calm
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:42 pm

I used to "look the other way and just do my thing" too but over the years its only gotten worse, WAY worse. Then it hits me, like duh its getting worse because no one ever confronts these lazy no good "hunters" who think the rules dont apply to them.

I take their steps, sticks, ladder down and leave it as the base of the tree and report them now. If anything it makes me feel better knowing if they show up early one morning theyll have a surprise knowing they need to put everything back up in the dark. If i find it again ill do it again. They dont like it take their stuff in and out with them like i do and they dont have to worry about their stand or sticks being taken down.

Not uncommon to also find trash, soda cans, trees cut down, and bait piles around these guys illegal stands as well. They arent hunters.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:42 am

They'll just hunt the stand you hang... In the end the only thing you changed is the weight of your wallet...
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:52 am

Not if you hang it basically on their stand and upside down they won’t.

But i still prefer taking their bottom sticks or steps down and placing them at the base of the tree for the warden to clean up. If that doesn’t work place em 20ft away so it takes them a bit to find them before they can put them back up.

Don’t like your stuff being moved and placed out of the way for you don’t leave it out in the woods illegally like you own the place.

But “minding your own business” will only encourage these fools to keep acting like littering scumbags giving you, the actual conscientious hunter, a bad name with the general non hunting public.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:39 am

Illegal stands are covering Wisconsin's public land. I dont tolerate them anymore, and I use to report them but Wardens seldom have the time to deal with them. My solution is to just cut the straps and pile them up at the base of the tree. Many times they will just take the bottom stick or two, I usually have a 2 foot climbing stick & 3 step aider with me, so I just set them up and cut their straps & leave their stand lay. I only do this during the off season, as I dont want to chance cutting down someones set up that they are hunting legally. My theory, base on how stupid some of these stands are placed is that they are mostly decoy stands. I think these violators hang cheap stands in good locations for 2 reasons. 1. most hunters will see the stand and move on to a different area, this in essence reserves an unhunted spot for themselves. 2. They dont ever hunt these stands, they put up their regular stand and sticks each time they hunt, that way even if the warden is trying to nail them for leaving the stand he never will be able to, as they never touch that illegal stand. I am sure there are also just lazy people who put up there stand and sticks and never remove them just cause they are lazy.

boogeyman- I love your idea but I would be afraid you might get a ticket for hanging an illegal stand as well!! You would go broke here buying cheap stands to hang above thej!! Cut the straps!!! Easy and it solves the problem, for a while anyway!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:11 am

Pudster wrote:Illegal stands are covering Wisconsin's public land. I dont tolerate them anymore, and I use to report them but Wardens seldom have the time to deal with them. My solution is to just cut the straps and pile them up at the base of the tree. Many times they will just take the bottom stick or two, I usually have a 2 foot climbing stick & 3 step aider with me, so I just set them up and cut their straps & leave their stand lay. I only do this during the off season, as I dont want to chance cutting down someones set up that they are hunting legally. My theory, base on how stupid some of these stands are placed is that they are mostly decoy stands. I think these violators hang cheap stands in good locations for 2 reasons. 1. most hunters will see the stand and move on to a different area, this in essence reserves an unhunted spot for themselves. 2. They dont ever hunt these stands, they put up their regular stand and sticks each time they hunt, that way even if the warden is trying to nail them for leaving the stand he never will be able to, as they never touch that illegal stand. I am sure there are also just lazy people who put up there stand and sticks and never remove them just cause they are lazy.

boogeyman- I love your idea but I would be afraid you might get a ticket for hanging an illegal stand as well!! You would go broke here buying cheap stands to hang above thej!! Cut the straps!!! Easy and it solves the problem, for a while anyway!

I feel ya Pudster. I will admit nothing I could do would ever make a difference. I don’t care to spend my time running all over the county playing games. But I do think I can make 1 or 2 at least stop and think. I imagine them arriving to their stand 30 minutes b4 daylight and discover my handy work. I would guess they would have a moment of look what some sorry SOB did. Which is funny cause it’s my thoughts when I discovered their stand.

To be honest flagging tape ticks me off a lot more than pre hung stands. I mean that stuff has a way to turn the most beautiful woods into trash. But back onto the illegal stands…. Has always been my opinion that folks who do so begin to think they own that area as years roll by. Most the public I hunt is only a few hundred acres. You get 8 or 10 guys hanging permanent stands thinking they own the place it goes South quick. I’ve discovered many climbing stands, or mobile hunters equipment left just “hiding” in the woods on the forest floor to save them a haul. This doesn’t bother me the least. But when we start just turning a cheek to perm tree stands we might as well let them deliver a high dollar shooting house.

In regards to a comment made about they would just hunt out of my stand. I can assure u they wouldn’t ever hunt out of mine and if they did…. Well they are a bad mammajamma and have earned the right for a permanent stand! Mine don’t even have a seat…. And for u new hunters, never and I mean never put your weight down on a stand u didn’t put up yourself. It’s a accident waiting to happen!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:36 am

Pudster wrote:Illegal stands are covering Wisconsin's public land. I dont tolerate them anymore, and I use to report them but Wardens seldom have the time to deal with them. My solution is to just cut the straps and pile them up at the base of the tree. Many times they will just take the bottom stick or two, I usually have a 2 foot climbing stick & 3 step aider with me, so I just set them up and cut their straps & leave their stand lay. I only do this during the off season, as I dont want to chance cutting down someones set up that they are hunting legally. My theory, base on how stupid some of these stands are placed is that they are mostly decoy stands. I think these violators hang cheap stands in good locations for 2 reasons. 1. most hunters will see the stand and move on to a different area, this in essence reserves an unhunted spot for themselves. 2. They dont ever hunt these stands, they put up their regular stand and sticks each time they hunt, that way even if the warden is trying to nail them for leaving the stand he never will be able to, as they never touch that illegal stand. I am sure there are also just lazy people who put up there stand and sticks and never remove them just cause they are lazy.

I concur, WI has gotten terrible.

I like the idea of just cutting the straps up and leaving the rest. Guess i was just being too nice leaving em at the base of the tree intact for them to re use but man i’m beyond sick and tired of finding them.
Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Unread postby Archivist13 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:41 am

This post is one of the reasons I love this group. So many times this topic comes up on FB groups and the majority of people say "Don't be a narc", "Leave other peoples stuff alone", or worse. This issue drives me nuts and it's scary how many guys think it is fine to hang stands thinking that is their way of claiming the woods, and that is exactly what they are doing. Here in Maryland you are not allowed to leave stands overnight, yet I always run into them. I really like the idea of taking them down and leaving them at the base of the tree. Just goes to show the Beast Hunters are a step above the rest.
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:21 am

Could be worse. It's actually legal to leave stands up between 9/1 and 3/1 here in MI. :roll:
Let's go Brandon!
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:36 am

From what i’ve seen it looks like most left up in MI legally during the season are left up illegally year round as well.
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:30 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:From what i’ve seen it looks like most left up in MI legally during the season are left up illegally year round as well.

Absolutely! I mark everyone I see on my gps, literally hundreds of them. Amazing how many there are in certain areas.
Let's go Brandon!
Colddriver

Unread postby Colddriver » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:42 pm

Send me some cordnances, I need a few new stands for my property.
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:22 am

In regards to the dumb MI rule of being able to leave your stand up the whole season.. it still must have your name, address and drivers license number on a sign big enough to read from the ground. And, anyone can legally hunt it as it does not guarantee a personal reserved spot, according to the DNR.
So if it’s not labeled in MI… get the snips out and hack it down. Don’t break it or steal it, but I don’t see why we can’t lower it if not following the rules.. am I right?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”