Apple trees near beds.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

monster6

Apple trees near beds.

Unread postby monster6 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:07 am

How would you guys hunt apple trees that are in a transition of a marsh edge? Little to no trees and super thick in that strip of timber. The strip of timber is only about 30yds wide maybe 80 yards long and on both sides are catails/river and one side has crp that humans sometimes walk on. I've seen and heard Deer bedded in the cattails. would you guys hunt a piece like this in mornings to try and get a Crack at a whopper or wait until the afternoon to play it safe? I've seen one the past 2 years but only in late October. The apple tree is no more than maybe 40 yds from the bed I jumped him out of.

Josh_S
500 Club

Re: Apple trees near beds.

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:47 am

I would not wait until late October, the apples would likely be dropped and long gone by then (at least in my area they are). And I would say definitely hunt in the evening. If the apple tree is only 40 yds from the bed, you would think it would be the first place a buck would go to from bedding. In this case I would go in the first time you have a set up where your wind won't be blowing toward the apple tree or his bed, and find a way to shoot right to the apple tree. I wouldn't risk getting any closer than the apple tree, 40 yds is plenty close to the bed. If it gets heavy use, the thick area around the tree should be trampled down enough to have plenty of shooting lanes. Maybe a ground set up? Plan your access to avoid being winded, seen, or making noise.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:51 am

And I would bet there are more buck beds than the one you found. You may be just scratching the surface. Sounds like a great place to put a trail camera to get a feel for how bucks use the area.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:55 pm

Having hunted a similar spot for years I agree with Josh and would only add the only thing you need to know is whether there are apples in the tree this year? If you aren’t certain then go in on a rainy day when rain first starts and check from a distance with bino’s. If there are apples there you’re done you already know everything else. Is there more than one apple tree? The more there are the trickier it gets.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:40 am

I would glass the tree to see if it has apples this year and not leave any more ground scent than I have to doing it.

If there is a bed 40 yards from the tree I would try to pick an evening, as early in the season as I could, with the right wind direction and wet or windy conditions to help with quiet access.

It sounds like you have most of the intel you need. If you can maintain the element of surprise it sounds like you are in for an exciting hunt.
Andr3wxmma
Facebook: Andrew Mattison

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:54 am

Be able to shoot the deer under the tree. I've had deer stand under one apple tree from 45 mins before dark until I finally snuck out in pitch black. Never got a shot because it was super brushy around the tree and the apple branches blocked vitals in my few openings I had tried again 3 weeks later and he didnt show during light. If I did it again id carry in a ghost blind and get to where i had good shooting lanes. (I knew that only a buck was coming to this tree right at dark from having cell cams in the area) with satellite deer it would be impossible.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”