Missouri Public - Question from Future Resident

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jake71

Missouri Public - Question from Future Resident

Unread postby jake71 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:34 am

Looking for some discussion from Missouri bowhunters. I'm a current IL resident who works in MO. I'm hoping to escape ;) and become a MO resident in next few years. I hunt IL public ground. I've hunted the Shawnee National Forest (NF) for many years, and in recent years I've been focusing on some state areas that are north of me.

It looks like I'm going to be working from home for the long term, which gives me a lot of flexibility in where I live. Not sure where I will wind up yet, but I'm guessing it will be in the Central region within 2 hours of St Louis. So I've been trying to formulate a plan for where I might be hunting. No matter where I wind up I will probably be living somewhere where I will be in proximity to some portion of the Mark Twain or within a couple hours of multiple CA's.

I understand that some of the MO CA's have the potential for good bucks, and I would expect those CA's to be similar to some to some of the state areas that I hunt in IL - less acres than the NF, lots of hunters during the rut, more agriculture, and generally better opportunities at larger bucks than you might get in the NF. I'm also aware of some of the issues with the Mark Twain - heavy pressure during rifle season, higher rates of poaching, lower deer density, etc.

I have an appreciation for the beauty and solitude of the NF, and while I believe it's not all about antlers, I also have an appreciation for occasional encounters with big bucks ;) . I'm not looking for anyone to name their favorite CA, but I would like to hear about CA's versus the Mark Twain for bowhunting. One of my buddies (from IL) made it sound like a Pope & Young buck would be very rare in the Mark Twain ( he was talking about the Potosi region specifically). So is that true? Assuming I was a pretty good hunter and I was going to put in the time scouting and such, what would a good buck be (say top 20% of the bucks) in your neck of the Mark Twain? Would you rather chase them in the big woods or focus on a CA for potentially bigger bucks?

Thanks for any help in setting expectations. I'm getting too old to waste a bunch time scouting an area that doesn't hold what I'm after :)

"I am, said Jesus. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty one and coming on the clouds of heaven."
btsnhos

Re: Missouri Public - Question from Future Resident

Unread postby btsnhos » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:16 pm

I have never hunted mark twain, but northern missouri has a lot of pope and young bucks. I like some of the small public lands around the ozarks, they generally go untouched. Not sure if that is what you're looking for.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:32 pm

We should talk. Kind of late for me so I will send a PM another day.

Left Hellinois a few years back but scouted/hunted south of STL. And north.
Now, I am near NF and good CA off HWY 44.

If you run and gun with beast style, you should be able to get Pope and Young or better in Southern MO.
Find some taxidermy FB pages from the areas you might be in to judge quality.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:43 pm

Last season the most exciting intel I came across was on NF.
But I had not been there ever before, so limited action. Tall, tall rub like elk tall on a ridgetop. Also chatted with a young kid who had trail cams of a monster in that area.
I left the kids general area alone, but had a few hunts there because of the conversation and rub.

My 2 cents that might help someone.
Bow-only properties get hunted like the typical shared lease private ground. People get mentally hung up and pressure it all year.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
jake71

Unread postby jake71 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:09 am

justdirtyfun wrote:We should talk. Kind of late for me so I will send a PM another day.

Left Hellinois a few years back but scouted/hunted south of STL. And north.
Now, I am near NF and good CA off HWY 44.

If you run and gun with beast style, you should be able to get Pope and Young or better in Southern MO.
Find some taxidermy FB pages from the areas you might be in to judge quality.

Congrats on getting out of Illinois. A wise move I would say. Excellent idea to check out the taxidermy shops. Definitely would like to chat more if you PM me.
"I am, said Jesus. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty one and coming on the clouds of heaven."
jake71

Unread postby jake71 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:12 am

btsnhos wrote:I have never hunted mark twain, but northern missouri has a lot of pope and young bucks. I like some of the small public lands around the ozarks, they generally go untouched. Not sure if that is what you're looking for.

That helps, yes and thanks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:15 am

Kind of off subject, but I enjoy filming my hunts, and not being allowed to film your hunts in missouri would be a deal breker for me
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:40 am

dan wrote:Kind of off subject, but I enjoy filming my hunts, and not being allowed to film your hunts in missouri would be a deal breker for me

You can film your hunts dan. You just can't film for profit on conservation ground which in our state is honestly good.

If you ever want a little breakdown of where you can and can't film for profit in missouri I can put together a little list or graph for the folks
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:42 am

jake71 wrote:Looking for some discussion from Missouri bowhunters. I'm a current IL resident who works in MO. I'm hoping to escape ;) and become a MO resident in next few years. I hunt IL public ground. I've hunted the Shawnee National Forest (NF) for many years, and in recent years I've been focusing on some state areas that are north of me.

It looks like I'm going to be working from home for the long term, which gives me a lot of flexibility in where I live. Not sure where I will wind up yet, but I'm guessing it will be in the Central region within 2 hours of St Louis. So I've been trying to formulate a plan for where I might be hunting. No matter where I wind up I will probably be living somewhere where I will be in proximity to some portion of the Mark Twain or within a couple hours of multiple CA's.

I understand that some of the MO CA's have the potential for good bucks, and I would expect those CA's to be similar to some to some of the state areas that I hunt in IL - less acres than the NF, lots of hunters during the rut, more agriculture, and generally better opportunities at larger bucks than you might get in the NF. I'm also aware of some of the issues with the Mark Twain - heavy pressure during rifle season, higher rates of poaching, lower deer density, etc.

I have an appreciation for the beauty and solitude of the NF, and while I believe it's not all about antlers, I also have an appreciation for occasional encounters with big bucks ;) . I'm not looking for anyone to name their favorite CA, but I would like to hear about CA's versus the Mark Twain for bowhunting. One of my buddies (from IL) made it sound like a Pope & Young buck would be very rare in the Mark Twain ( he was talking about the Potosi region specifically). So is that true? Assuming I was a pretty good hunter and I was going to put in the time scouting and such, what would a good buck be (say top 20% of the bucks) in your neck of the Mark Twain? Would you rather chase them in the big woods or focus on a CA for potentially bigger bucks?

Thanks for any help in setting expectations. I'm getting too old to waste a bunch time scouting an area that doesn't hold what I'm after :)

I moved to mo 2 years ago wondering the same thing.
The national forest gets a bad reputation because people don't want you in there. Personally I've had more encounters there than on the CAS. However I wouldn't write off anything till you scout it. Feel free to send me a pm if you wanna talk a little more about it
jake71

Unread postby jake71 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:55 am

dan wrote:Kind of off subject, but I enjoy filming my hunts, and not being allowed to film your hunts in missouri would be a deal breker for me

I'm not sure but I would expect that you can film in the Mark Twain. I would think somewhere in the Mark Twain would make a good location for a Public Land Challenge.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:46 am

My grandpa owns a couple hundred acres bordered by a CA on the west and mark twain NF on the south. I have hunted the mark Twain all my life. People used to come here from all over to hunt when I was a kid. Then north Missouri got hot and they all left for greener pastures. There aren’t boonees behind every bush but if you are willing to put in the work, you can kill a mature deer. It’s like everywhere else. Set your standards to the caliber of animal the location can consistently produce and just have fun.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:37 am

Lots of scouting and expect public land to change year per year...we get hammered by out of state pressure during pre rut-rut...but I love the Show Me State!
jake71

Unread postby jake71 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:19 am

SEMObowhunter wrote:There aren’t boonees behind every bush but if you are willing to put in the work, you can kill a mature deer. It’s like everywhere else. Set your standards to the caliber of animal the location can consistently produce and just have fun.

I appreciate that input and advice. Definitely helps with setting expectations.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:56 am

Realistically I would say a 130” mature deer is common in my neck of the woods. 150-160’s exist and I have seen with my own eyes and seen others kill them 170 - 200. However, don’t come looking for 160+ and expect to kill that. They are more the exception than the rule. Most NF bucks are 8 pointers simply because natural forage doesn’t let them grow big 10+ point racks. Not that there aren’t those type deer, but eights are way more common.
jake71

Unread postby jake71 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:18 pm

SEMObowhunter wrote:Realistically I would say a 130” mature deer is common in my neck of the woods. 150-160’s exist and I have seen with my own eyes and seen others kill them 170 - 200. However, don’t come looking for 160+ and expect to kill that. They are more the exception than the rule. Most NF bucks are 8 pointers simply because natural forage doesn’t let them grow big 10+ point racks. Not that there aren’t those type deer, but eights are way more common.

That's helpful, thanks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”