Thank.. don't hate public land workers!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hunttrapfisherguy

Thank.. don't hate public land workers!

Unread postby Hunttrapfisherguy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:05 am

So I just completed my first full week with the PGC as a game lands maintenance worker. The stories I've already heard just in a few days of work blows my mind! My supervisor told me of 2 different altercations to where he was concerned the A hole was going to get physical. That's ridiculous! All public land users, not just hunters, should be thanking all public land workers instead of the opposite. Our job first and foremost is to create and maintain habitat for all wildlife. Second is to create and maintain access for the public. If it wasn't for all of our state's public land workers we would have a lot less places to hunt or hike or whatever your fancy. Just thought I'd put it out there. If you ever run into any of em and you're a decent person maybe say thanks... after one week I can tell ya it'd feel great!

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Thank.. don't hate public land workers!

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:13 am

I think most people on this forum would agree with you. I can't think of too many people who want to interact with jerks in either capacity. Thankfully I think the number of people causing those incidents is in the extreme minority, as are overzealous or corrupt enforcement officers.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:51 am

I agree and am very polite to everyone. Takes a lot for me to become not polite.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:56 pm

I could tell you some stories. Worst thing about being a public servant.......The Public.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:24 am

Public sector work is often a thankless job. This is something that is well known. Doesn't matter if your police, teachers, environmental police, game wardens, building inspectors, the water department, etc. People are you generally not happy when you show up.

On the other side of the token, such public sector workers are often dealing with the problem elements in our society. Police don't show up at your average home to partake in a barbecue. They're showing up to mitigate a domestic dispute, or because a husband beat up his wife, or because a liquor store got robbed. Fireman show up at buildings that are burning down, often times dragging out bodies. The environmental police have to deal with poachers.

My point being is that these interactions between the public sector workers and citizens are easy to stereotype. So when you see a game warden, the game wardens assuming you're doing something wrong before the first words have been spoken, and you're assuming he's there to bust your balls. Those stereotypes are made because 8 out of 10 times they're usually accurate.

So it's a tough line of work you've chosen to get into, but you do so with eyes wide open and no illusions or delusions of grandeur about exactly what the job will be like. The vast majority of people do not suck. But it is going to be your job to specifically deal with the people who do suck, and you're going to see it all day, everyday. That's your job. In exchange for doing it you'll be paid a salary, provided a very generous benefits package, and a pension. Such benefits that many in the private sector do not enjoy. That's the exchange you make.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:23 am

We are fortunate to have so much public land in PA. I never see you guys, but it is evident every time I step onto public land that a lot of work goes into maintaining parking lots, planting crops, mowing, prescribed burns, logging, planting trees, maintaining boundary signage, clearing hiking trails, repairing flood damage, and so much more that I would not even think of. Thanks for all you do!
Hunttrapfisherguy

Unread postby Hunttrapfisherguy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:25 am

Thank you guys! definitely agree that the jerks are the minority. like I said it just blew my mind and was something I wanted to mention. loving the new job in food and cover. in 2 weeks I've learned a ton. you're absolutely right pa has a lot of good public land! take care all. stay calm and hunt on!
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:55 am

While I agree with you to be polite.

What is a public land worker? We dont have that type of thing in Louisiana.

Here the parish, ldwf and the logging company maintain the roads and the power company/pipeline company maintains the lanes for power lines and pipelines.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”