Overlooked roadside spots

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ObsessedPublicHunter

Overlooked roadside spots

Unread postby ObsessedPublicHunter » Sun May 23, 2021 4:51 pm

I've been binge watching Dan's videos lately and am stoked for the season. Been scouting alot these past couple weeks. One thing that stuck out to me was Dan's videos on overlooked spots. I think I found an excellent overlooked spot.

In one general area there was easily 100 rubs, most of them were very nice rubs with the majority being historical rubs. Some were fresh from last year. It was the most amazing cluster of rubs I have ever seen. Pretty much every tree was rubbed. Interesting thing is they all seemed the same height. I also found some beds probably only 40 yards away from the road. It also has the dominant wind working in the deers favor with just enough bedding and visibility.

Its hard to say but Im curious if there were one or two dominant bucks in the area at some point, that was rubbing most of the trees. Most of the rubs are old and historic but were very similar in height, which I'm also not sure how long it takes for the rubs to get that old looking. I also did find a fresh rub with points hitting at face level. Definitely a nice buck?

Anyways I plan to glass this area come July. Will do so from a far distance and as careful as can be.

Anyone here have any stories or advice on overlooked spots? Im hoping all of these rubs indicate a buck is bedding nearby especially with all the advantages it has with how the property is setup. I hope I'm not getting too geeked seeing all these rubs.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Overlooked roadside spots

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon May 24, 2021 12:58 am

Some of the areas with rubs like you describe are spots where bucks hang out while smelling does that are turning him down.
Not saying your spot is. But that is an activity explaining major rub clusters. I learned that on a downwind edge of crop field. It didn't make sense to be daytime action but he would be in the right spot at night while does were in the field feeding.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon May 24, 2021 2:27 am

If you’re confident it’s a spot that is deserving of a lot of time (sounds like it is) make sure you have kill trees picked and ready to go for any and all scenarios. Observing from long distance is best, then when he’s home swing for the fence and go in with confidence.

Until then, that spot is nothing more than bedding that you’re watching and keeping tabs on. So now go try and find more exceptional bedding. Once you get to the point where you’ve got 8-10 super promising spots, you can make the rounds and pick the one that looks the most promising for that season.
ObsessedPublicHunter

Unread postby ObsessedPublicHunter » Mon May 24, 2021 2:39 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Some of the areas with rubs like you describe are spots where bucks hang out while smelling does that are turning him down.
Not saying your spot is. But that is an activity explaining major rub clusters. I learned that on a downwind edge of crop field. It didn't make sense to be daytime action but he would be in the right spot at night while does were in the field feeding.

I see. What your saying does make sense, I feel like this area is more bedding. Its adjacent to a popular hunting path/very large open forest. But everyone hunts the main forest from what I've seen. Theres is a deep&wide creek seperating the two areas. I think this creek and the lack of climbing trees is what makes it so overlooked.
ObsessedPublicHunter

Unread postby ObsessedPublicHunter » Mon May 24, 2021 2:50 am

Lockdown wrote:If you’re confident it’s a spot that is deserving of a lot of time (sounds like it is) make sure you have kill trees picked and ready to go for any and all scenarios. Observing from long distance is best, then when he’s home swing for the fence and go in with confidence.

Until then, that spot is nothing more than bedding that you’re watching and keeping tabs on. So now go try and find more exceptional bedding. Once you get to the point where you’ve got 8-10 super promising spots, you can make the rounds and pick the one that looks the most promising for that season.

Yep, I definitely will keep watch. I plan to do alot of glassing and scouting this summer compared to prior years. I've always been the crazy one in my hunting group, and so the hunting beast has been a goldmine of information and motivated.

There aren't much trees for this area but I'm positive I can access the area quietly with a kayak and ground hunt some areas. There is a wide and deep creek that seperates this overlooked spot and the more popular hunting area. I believe I can use the creek to my advantage. Wading may be possible but it is deep and muddy. My main concern is some deer will bed along the creek so I may spook some deer everytime I go in. But I will keep glassing to see where I believe the bigger bucks may be bedding and try to setup close enough for daylight movement.

Thanks for the response
Last edited by ObsessedPublicHunter on Mon May 24, 2021 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ObsessedPublicHunter

Unread postby ObsessedPublicHunter » Mon May 24, 2021 2:57 am

ObsessedPublicHunter wrote:I've been binge watching Dan's videos lately and am stoked for the season. Been scouting alot these past couple weeks. One thing that stuck out to me was Dan's videos on overlooked spots. I think I found an excellent overlooked spot.

In one general area there was easily 100 rubs, most of them were very nice rubs with the majority being historical rubs. Some were fresh from last year. It was the most amazing cluster of rubs I have ever seen. Pretty much every tree was rubbed. Interesting thing is they all seemed the same height. I also found some beds probably only 40 yards away from the road. It also has the dominant wind working in the deers favor with just enough bedding and visibility.

Its hard to say but Im curious if there were one or two dominant bucks in the area at some point, that was rubbing most of the trees. Most of the rubs are old and historic but were very similar in height, which I'm also not sure how long it takes for the rubs to get that old looking. I also did find a fresh rub with points hitting at face level (I'm 5'4"). Definitely a nice buck?

Anyways I plan to glass this area come July. Will do so from a far distance and as careful as can be.

Anyone here have any stories or advice on overlooked spots? Im hoping all of these rubs indicate a buck is bedding nearby especially with all the advantages it has with how the property is setup. I hope I'm not getting too geeked seeing all these rubs.
Scoutking07
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WisconsinWhitetailTrailCam/

Unread postby Scoutking07 » Wed May 26, 2021 7:06 am

ObsessedPublicHunter wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:Some of the areas with rubs like you describe are spots where bucks hang out while smelling does that are turning him down.

I see. What your saying does make sense, I feel like this area is more bedding. Its adjacent to a popular hunting path/very large open forest. But everyone hunts the main forest from what I've seen. Theres is a deep&wide creek seperating the two areas. I think this creek and the lack of climbing trees is what makes it so overlooked.

If its hard to get a climber in the area, its probably a good spot. Most of what I look for on public are spots that are tricky of feel near impossible to hunt. Best of Luck!
Always pick a spot!
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed May 26, 2021 8:40 am

Definitely a spot worth keeping tabs on. Sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck!
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
ObsessedPublicHunter

Unread postby ObsessedPublicHunter » Wed May 26, 2021 12:08 pm

G-Patt wrote:Definitely a spot worth keeping tabs on. Sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck!

Thanks!
ObsessedPublicHunter

Unread postby ObsessedPublicHunter » Wed May 26, 2021 12:09 pm

Scoutking07 wrote:
ObsessedPublicHunter wrote:

If its hard to get a climber in the area, its probably a good spot. Most of what I look for on public are spots that are tricky of feel near impossible to hunt. Best of Luck!

Thanks! And yep, I am thinking that too. Primarily ground hunting. Most people hate ground hunting
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu May 27, 2021 2:23 am

Sounds like a great spot. Water will separate 90% of the hunters. The other 10% is the beast hunters like us :) Deeper the water the better- That means using a kayak or waders. Most hunters don't want to go through that.
It sounds like its more pre rut/rut activity in that area though, so while your glassing this summer, don't get discouraged if you don't see a good buck (or bucks) right away. Their usually bachelored up somewhere but probably not far away. If there are does in this area, they will eventually inhabit the area.
So again, it sounds like a great overlooked or unpressured spot. Definitely keep tabs on it, but dont get married to it.
ObsessedPublicHunter

Unread postby ObsessedPublicHunter » Thu May 27, 2021 1:44 pm

@michigan mike

Thats true, it may definitely be more of a rut spot now I think about it. Lots of bedding surrounded the area and from what I've seen, lots of doe movement. I do plan to glass all summer and so I will bounce to different areas if no luck.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri May 28, 2021 1:23 am

[quote="ObsessedPublicHunter"]@michigan mike

Thats true, it may definitely be more of a rut spot now I think about it. Lots of bedding surrounded the area and from what I've seen, lots of doe movement. I do plan to glass all summer and so I will bounce to different areas if no luck.[/quote
Good to have other areas in your pocket. But definitely don't write this off if you don't see bucks in summer. Like I mentioned before- If there are does, the bucks eventually will be around- especially if there is historic sign. They inhabit the same rut areas year after year. You just might have to wait until pre rut time to throw stands at it. But an early season sit wouldn't hurt either to see what's going on and if you can get eyes on something.
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:53 am

Before watching Dan's videos I would walk past areas near the road that I know looked awesome. I would just think it's too close and I will never see anything. Last season I almost got a shot at my biggest buck yet. It was maybe 50 yrds from the road. I got another on camera that was even bigger that was 30 yrds from the road. I'm a believer.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:26 pm

There is a piece of public that I have hunted the past two years that is nearly 3000 acres with only 4 parking areas. It's pretty aggressive hills for my area, and it has a big creek bottom that runs down the middle of it. My first year I thought nobody would be near the end of some of those ridges or down in the bottoms, because it is over a 2 mile hike... but there were people there. I did see one pretty nice buck in the bottoms in late october that season, but never saw another buck there. Last season I found a spot on the maps that looked pretty good to me, and when I went to check it out there were some rubs and scrapes. I went during the first week of november and nearly walked within 15 yards of a buck sniffing around in circles so obsessed with smelling does that he never noticed me... until another buck I didn't see behind me noticed me... Opening day of rifle season saw a couple more bucks, including an absolute stud that I unfortunately missed... The spot I'm taking about is only about 300 yards from the parking lot, and less than 100 yards from the road you drive down to get there. The parking lots are basically on four corners of the area, and everybody starts out by walking down the main trails, then branches off where they want to hunt either up in the hills or down in the bottoms. In this spot during the rut I actiually walk down the road then slip into the woods when I'm getting closer to my spot. Opening day of rifle season is pretty heavily pressured. There were 8 cars in the parking lot when I came out around 1pm (unfortunately I couldn't stay all day). But where I went I didn't see one other hunter when going in or when walking back out. I'll definitely be heading back there this year when the wind is right.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”