WI public land regulations

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

WI public land regulations

Unread postby Elite » Fri May 14, 2021 4:25 am

I’ve got two questions that need clarification:

1: is it illegal to use an EZ hanger on public land since it’s a screw-in device?

2: if there’s a designated parking spot for a public piece, can I only park there or can I pull into any area that’s on that piece, or park along the road?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: WI public land regulations

Unread postby dan » Fri May 14, 2021 4:29 am

1) yes, its illegal to screw an easy-hook into a tree on public land

2) Depends... It gets a little fuzzy. Technically if you can get all tires off the main road your legal as long as there is not a sign there stating not to park there, however, I have seen people ticketed for it...
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:32 am

Most screw ins are illegal. As far as parking goes , it depends. I park on the side of the road all the time and never get a ticket. But I would probably call the Sheriff in whatever county your lookin to hunt and ask
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri May 14, 2021 4:56 am

Thanks guys!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri May 14, 2021 7:56 am

Decent chance of getting towed if parking in the ditch of any divided 4 lane highway or any really busy state highway, but there are definitely exceptions and some areas where parking in the ditch is the norm.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri May 14, 2021 9:25 am

hunter_mike wrote:Decent chance of getting towed if parking in the ditch of any divided 4 lane highway or any really busy state highway, but there are definitely exceptions and some areas where parking in the ditch is the norm.

Right, and I could see this happening in the spot I’m referring to. Not a back road but semi-busy road.
Jeremy Holden

Unread postby Jeremy Holden » Wed May 26, 2021 12:20 pm

I asked a business owner for parking permission so I could access public from a different location for the dominant wind in the area. It's worth asking if there's something available. Worse they can say is no.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:38 am

I’ve parked along roads for 30 years and never been ticketed.

Park where you want as long as it’s not posted as No Parking and you’ll be fine.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:47 am

szwampdonkey wrote:I’ve parked along roads for 30 years and never been ticketed.

Park where you want as long as it’s not posted as No Parking and you’ll be fine.

I asked my buddy that’s a deputy for the county. He’s 99% sure that I won’t get ticketed, but suggested I place a note on my dashboard just to be sure.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:27 pm

Elite wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:I’ve parked along roads for 30 years and never been ticketed.

I asked my buddy that’s a deputy for the county. He’s 99% sure that I won’t get ticketed, but suggested I place a note on my dashboard just to be sure.

Did he mention what exactly you’d possibly be ticketed for? I’ve never heard of it being illegal to park along a public road as long as you’re not obstructing traffic?

Just curious as like i said i’ve been doing it for decades without any issues.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:45 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:
Elite wrote:

Did he mention what exactly you’d possibly be ticketed for? I’ve never heard of it being illegal to park along a public road as long as you’re not obstructing traffic?

Just curious as like i said i’ve been doing it for decades without any issues.

He didn’t but I also didn’t ask him. My assumption would be obstructing traffic or not parking in a designated area.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:24 am

1. Depends on who owns the land. One of the county forests I hunted used to allow screw ins but changed it. Don’t know of any public that it’s legal. The dnr pamphlet only covers state land FYI. County or private land open to the public has its own rules.

2. Township specific. If you see a no parking sign, well it’s no parking. Don’t know a cop that will let that slide with a warning. If you don’t see one, probably can play the “I didn’t know card” once. Or just call the local sheriffs office and ask about that specific road. And definitely don’t block traffic cause that’s how no parking signs get put up real quick. A lot of townships have weird rules as well. Seen some where you can’t park from 2am-5am so just keep those in mind if you need to track one or want an early start.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:11 am

1 This is one of the big annoyances with public land hunting. They make strap on bow holders, but they're much heavier than a little screw-in hook. If I can't find a good branch to hang it on, I'm often holding mine the whole time, or having one hand on it sitting on my lap.

2 This one is a bit weird to me. I hunted the northern kettle moraine unit in WI a ton last year. Parking in the DNR lots requires a state park sticker, but moving up the road a bit and parking in the ditch doesn't seem to. I parked along the road tens of times and never got any ticket.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”