Big Woods Soft Transition

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Big Woods Soft Transition

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 04, 2021 2:42 pm

That’s a great example. :handgestures-thumbup:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed May 05, 2021 12:43 am

Great stuff Scott! ;)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri May 07, 2021 3:58 am

Thanks fellow Beasts! The public land big woods deer in this video were bedding in an outstanding example of a soft transition. Honestly I was taken back by how many bucks are bedding in there, it isn't a big population area for deer... and, the no huntable tree area is big enough that one or two dominant bucks cannot keep all the other bucks out. They flat out pile into this bedding area.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri May 07, 2021 7:50 am

Would these two big beds be hunted early season when there’s leaf cover and in the shade, or year round?
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri May 07, 2021 11:56 am

Elite wrote:Would these two big beds be hunted early season when there’s leaf cover and in the shade, or year round?

They will bed here most of the year and all of Michigan’s deer season... October through December. I will get trail cam pics right in the summer... and the other day I watched a young buck, by itself walk out of it a good distance from me.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri May 07, 2021 12:35 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
Elite wrote:Would these two big beds be hunted early season when there’s leaf cover and in the shade, or year round?

They will bed here most of the year and all of Michigan’s deer season... October through December. I will get trail cam pics right in the summer... and the other day I watched a young buck, by itself walk out of it a good distance from me.

If you didn’t observe that young buck or run the camera(s), how did you determine it was being used year round? The reason I’m curious is because it appears that the beds are in the wide open and the sun would beat down on them once the leaf cover disappears.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri May 07, 2021 1:26 pm

Elite wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

If you didn’t observe that young buck or run the camera(s), how did you determine it was being used year round? The reason I’m curious is because it appears that the beds are in the wide open and the sun would beat down on them once the leaf cover disappears.

Legit question... and you may not have seen the other video. Most of the beds on this transition have rubs in the bed which indicates hard antler during bedding. The beds just over from this one a couple of them are worn to the dirt... and it is the best security cover in this particular area. There are over a dozen buck beds on that transition and some have more overhead cover than others. Our season opens Oct 1st and if its hot he may well be in one of the many other beds. And remember I said most of the year, not the year around.

Scouting at all times of the year I am able to analyze tracks, droppings, browsing, beds, scrape activity / licking branches and so much more. Every time I scout I am able to determine whether or not there is current activity in the bedding area and I can analyze it a safe distance away so that I don't upset the bedding.

To be honest I believe most big woods hunters have become too reliant on trail cameras. They are helpful but experienced big woods hunters can quickly interpret what they find. I'm old school. In big woods and wilderness areas the populations are low and I have numerous, numerous areas I hunt. I don't have anywhere near enough cameras to cover my areas. I chuckle when hunter after hunter drive by big buck tracks in the dirt on the way to check their trail cameras... 'nuff said.

Leaf drop here (and Northwest Wisco.) typically takes place in late October and the temperatures are much more tolerated by the bucks for beds like that. The tagalders will also offer shade during various parts of the day in those more open beds when the leaves are on.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri May 07, 2021 1:59 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
Elite wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

Legit question... and you may not have seen the other video. Most of the beds on this transition have rubs in the bed which indicates hard antler during bedding. The beds just over from this one a couple of them are worn to the dirt... and it is the best security cover in this particular area. There are over a dozen buck beds on that transition and some have more overhead cover than others. Our season opens Oct 1st and if its hot he may well be in one of the many other beds. And remember I said most of the year, not the year around.

Scouting at all times of the year I am able to analyze tracks, droppings, browsing, beds, scrape activity / licking branches and so much more. Every time I scout I am able to determine whether or not there is current activity in the bedding area and I can analyze it a safe distance away so that I don't upset the bedding.

To be honest I believe most big woods hunters have become too reliant on trail cameras. They are helpful but experienced big woods hunters can quickly interpret what they find. I'm old school. In big woods and wilderness areas the populations are low and I have numerous, numerous areas I hunt. I don't have anywhere near enough cameras to cover my areas. I chuckle when hunter after hunter drive by big buck tracks in the dirt on the way to check their trail cameras... 'nuff said.

Leaf drop here (and Northwest Wisco.) typically takes place in late October and the temperatures are much more tolerated by the bucks for beds like that. The tagalders will also offer shade during various parts of the day in those more open beds when the leaves are on.

Some awesome stuff you are putting out there Scott. Really appreciate you sharing all of your experiences. Without teachers like yourself hunting would be a lost ambition.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri May 07, 2021 2:03 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
Elite wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

Legit question... and you may not have seen the other video. Most of the beds on this transition have rubs in the bed which indicates hard antler during bedding. The beds just over from this one a couple of them are worn to the dirt... and it is the best security cover in this particular area. There are over a dozen buck beds on that transition and some have more overhead cover than others. Our season opens Oct 1st and if its hot he may well be in one of the many other beds. And remember I said most of the year, not the year

That makes sense. I have yet to find a spot like this where I’m able to monitor from a distance or do observation sits. You’ve also been doing this much, much longer than I have lol.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun May 09, 2021 2:08 am

Great video and awesome example. Besides the rubs in and around the bedding how far away from this is other major prerut/rut sign? What is considered the major food sources for this area? Do you find heavily used trails coming in and out of this bedding and to destinations? Thanks
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun May 09, 2021 11:32 am

Elite wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:
Elite wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

Legit question... and you may not have seen the other video. Most of the beds on this transition have rubs in the bed which indicates hard antler during bedding. The beds just over from this one a couple of them are worn to the dirt... and it is the best security cover in this particular area. There are over a dozen buck beds on that transition and some have more overhead cover than others. Our season opens Oct 1st and if its hot he may well be in one of the many other beds. And remember I said most of the year, not the year

That makes sense. I have yet to find a spot like this where I’m able to monitor from a distance or do observation sits. You’ve also been doing this much, much longer than I have lol.

I'm sure I have. you will get to a point where without any intel or trailcams you can enter a big woods area and in a half day know what is going on with the bucks and where.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun May 09, 2021 11:33 am

UncleBuck3268 wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:
Elite wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

Some awesome stuff you are putting out there Scott. Really appreciate you sharing all of your experiences. Without teachers like yourself hunting would be a lost ambition.

Thank you for taking the time to reply... I appreciate it.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun May 09, 2021 11:46 am

may21581 wrote:Great video and awesome example. Besides the rubs in and around the bedding how far away from this is other major prerut/rut sign? What is considered the major food sources for this area? Do you find heavily used trails coming in and out of this bedding and to destinations? Thanks

Besides the rubs in and around the bedding how far away from this is other major prerut/rut sign?

I picked up some good sign in the main woods which was about a half mile away.

What is considered the major food sources for this area?

In the fall, 2 types of dogwood and very mature red oaks. Until it freezes out there's lots of grasses and forbes.

Do you find heavily used trails coming in and out of this bedding and to destinations?

Yes but they are most obvious now and during the winter. Once everything greens up they aren't as obvious, but big bucks leave big trails.

Also, thanks for your reply above... appreciate it.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon May 10, 2021 7:29 am

This is good stuff! I'm still pretty young in the beast style of hunting and I really need to slow down and observe the bedding more. I guess I still get excited when I find a bed and want to hurry to find the next. Videos like yours sure help remind me to SLOW down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”