Big woods Transitions... videos#4

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

heartdart

Big woods Transitions... videos#4

Unread postby heartdart » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:28 am

I went to a place to hunt last year based on a map. There is clearly a tornado path on this map. Looking at old weather data, I found out that a tornado touched down 11 years ago. This a swamp/big woods area. When I arrived to camp, there were a lot of hunters there with atvs. The water levels were real low. The only way to get to the tornado path was to cross a deep creek by pirogue/kayak. The banks were real steep and muddy(like axle grease). I used my small boat to get across each day, and I hunted the area for three days. All of the locals said that was a good spot, but they hunted it when you could access from a boat ramp with jon boats. I may have answered my question while typing this lol. Would you all not hunt this place if the water was up? This is the big question I asked while Watching big woods transitions: if there is a lot of pressure on a transition, will deer/bucks move deeper into thick cover. OR do you find that they find Isolated hiding spots in the big woods adjacent to the thick? Thanks for posting the big woods DVD on YouTube. I have all of the other dvds. Even though I hunt different terrain, the content helps a lot.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Big woods Transitions... videos#4

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:26 am

Pressure certainly makes a difference. I would probably see if the pressure is real, and how much. and where, before deciding whether to abandon or bot.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Big woods Transitions... videos#4

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:48 pm

heartdart wrote:I went to a place to hunt last year based on a map. There is clearly a tornado path on this map. Looking at old weather data, I found out that a tornado touched down 11 years ago. This a swamp/big woods area. When I arrived to camp, there were a lot of hunters there with atvs. The water levels were real low. The only way to get to the tornado path was to cross a deep creek by pirogue/kayak. The banks were real steep and muddy(like axle grease). I used my small boat to get across each day, and I hunted the area for three days. All of the locals said that was a good spot, but they hunted it when you could access from a boat ramp with jon boats. I may have answered my question while typing this lol. Would you all not hunt this place if the water was up? This is the big question I asked while Watching big woods transitions: if there is a lot of pressure on a transition, will deer/bucks move deeper into thick cover. OR do you find that they find Isolated hiding spots in the big woods adjacent to the thick? Thanks for posting the big woods DVD on YouTube. I have all of the other dvds. Even though I hunt different terrain, the content helps a lot.

Typically areas that were hit with tornadic activity are some of the thickest there are in a region... brutally thick with all the blow downs. Even if there is hunting pressure you almost can't get the bucks out of there.

The bucks won't move far to bed, find the short driveways coming out. Most of the guys using boats will hit the thick cover on one side anyway, if it isn't as thick as what i describe approach and hunt the other side.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”