Question about property lines

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Question about property lines

Unread postby Elite » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:19 am

Do landowners own roads or stretches of rivers/creeks if they lead to public land in Wisconsin? I understand that it would be trespassing if one should step off the road or get out of the river/creek. I’m wanting some clarification.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Question about property lines

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:30 am

roads can be public or private... natural waterways are always public in Wisconsin... I know someone who got charged with tresspasing for using a canoe in a Drainage ditch to cross private. the iand owner claimed he owned tje water way cause je made it. However, it was accessed and connected to a public road, and ultimatly the guy was found innocent and still uses that access
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:33 am

really, you should check with your county DNR to avoid disputes... I know my warden and local biologist have helped me understand property links on public borders on a number of occasions and did so happily.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:45 am

Thanks, Dan. The waterways make sense but the roads are questionable. I’ll give the dnr a call.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:28 am

dan wrote:really, you should check with your county DNR to avoid disputes... I know my warden and local biologist have helped me understand property links on public borders on a number of occasions and did so happily.

Called the hotline and I was told to contact national park services because that’s who owns the land. Called that number and an automated message said “we’re currently closed for the season” :? Not sure what to do now....
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:33 am

I called DNR dispatch and had my county Warden call me. Funny cause I already knew him from my girls MMA class, just didn’t know he was the head warden. Now I just text him pics of the property and area with mark up and he lets me know.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:46 am

Elite wrote:
dan wrote:really, you should check with your county DNR to avoid disputes... I know my warden and local biologist have helped me understand property links on public borders on a number of occasions and did so happily.

Called the hotline and I was told to contact national park services because that’s who owns the land. Called that number and an automated message said “we’re currently closed for the season” :? Not sure what to do now....

If its a national park, you should be able to look it up on line. Id bike through it regardless of the regs. Public is public. IMO
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:09 am

It varies from state to state. I’ve had to look up navigable waterways to see which ones I could get away with paddling from a public road. Most of our main rivers here are public and considered navigable waterways but, the tributaries Usually aren’t.

And yes property owners can block some private driveways with ownership and gates.

Some are considered right of ways and your local GW will be best one to answer that.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:09 am

It varies from state to state. I’ve had to look up navigable waterways to see which ones I could get away with paddling from a public road. Most of our main rivers here are public and considered navigable waterways but, the tributaries Usually aren’t.

And yes property owners can block some private driveways with ownership and gates.

Some are considered right of ways and your local GW will be best one to answer that.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:43 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:It varies from state to state. I’ve had to look up navigable waterways to see which ones I could get away with paddling from a public road. Most of our main rivers here are public and considered navigable waterways but, the tributaries Usually aren’t.

Yeah, state to state variance. Iowa has "meandering" and "non-meandering" waterways. One you can walk in or along to the typical high water mark (flood),the other you can't touch bottom or you are trespassing. I forget which is which, can't keep them straight and most public ground has road frontage access.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:46 am

If your county has online GIS information you could see for yourself.
GIS is the modern version of a plat map. Those were printed from land ownership record and used legal survey information.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:23 am

The GIS website doesn’t provide that information.
I received a callback from the warden. He didn’t know the answer either even with looking at his online tools. His question was “who maintains that road?” If the county/township does, then it’s public. He directed me to contact the township. I called the township and no one answered :roll:
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:22 am

I FINALLY was able to get an answer after speaking to 2 wardens, 2 dnr employees, one city clerk and finally the city chairman. The road is maintained by the city so it’s considered a public road, thus I have access to the public chunk.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”