New swamp

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

New swamp

Unread postby Elite » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:41 am

First off, I don’t know the names of plant/trees when it comes to swamp hunting. So I’ll need some help with the identification :doh: .
I decided to scout a spot I identified back in January from looking at maps. It’s a hardwood chunk with fingers that go into a swamp. To the northeast of this spot is a river. Inside this hardwood chunk are small (tamarack?) mixed in so it always for easier walking. The first few fingers showed no deer sign and little buck sign. I immediately scratched off these areas.
The last finger I checked ran into a beaver dam blocking the flow into/from the river. There was no bedding on this finger. Between this finger and the river is a swamp with (swamp grass? Not cattails) and what looks like red brush? My eyes immediately caught several shredded trees and a trail going into this swamp. So I hiked up my skirt and followed the trail.
I followed good golden rubs towards the river and found a few matted down beds inside the (red brush?) I found a small semi-island that butted up against the river. Here I found what appears to be beds. From the rubs and beds, my assumption is that these are used in prerut and rut when the (swamp grass) hasn’t died, but could be year round.
I walked trails in this swamp and found several good beds tucked inside the (red brush). Some had rubs in them and some did not. I continued on my way to another finger that transitioned to this swamp. The buck sign wasn’t there unlike in the swamp. Also, the big rubs weren’t in this finger unlike the other finger.
With these thoughts, I back tracked and followed the trails out of these beds to kill spots.
I found it interesting and surprising that the bedding wasn’t on the fingers. Some of you might be thinking “duh” but swamp hunting is new to me. I’m excited about this spot. My buddy is a sherrif’s deputy and said he saw a big buck cross the road into this public area while patrolling on night. If the sign is his, I found his bedroom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elite
500 Club

Re: New swamp

Unread postby Elite » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:46 am

More
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: New swamp

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:46 am

Great looking spot. love those marshes like that with poplar and red brush all rubbed up. Yeah typically bucks bed in there temporarily around prerut/rut time because the does are in there. Does are usually bedding in the open around river bends etc. But ive bumped them in the interior too. All depends.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”