NE Kansas scouting/ hunting seeking advise

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

NE Kansas scouting/ hunting seeking advise

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:53 pm

Ok, so we spent 4 days scouting a lot of different properties in NE kansas, we found a couple slammer sheds, and found some places that looked great on the computer, and looked even better in person. Some properties looked like they havent had a buck on them ever, and others looked pretty darn huntable. On some the hunter sign was crazy and some seemed to not have alot of hunter sign, and a lot of deer sign. So I am reluctant to apply for a tag at this moment as I am scared I will get there and see a truck in every piece of open ground. Is there anyone on here that is really familiar with this area that I could bounce a few questions off of? Thanks, Pudster

rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Re: NE Kansas scouting/ hunting seeking advise

Unread postby rhagenw » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:50 am

Following...I live in NW MO and considering to start scouting KS, NE and IA since all three are close...not looking for names of actual places just expected pressure or noticeable patterns to watch and the in and outs
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:40 am

Curious myself, but I mountain biked at Clinton Lake in the fall... There wasn't much of anyone around at the time. I wasn't even deer hunting at that time, but I saw the biggest doe of my life there just off the bike trails. She was a tank. Just watch your step because there are copperheads. :?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:59 pm

I have hunted zone 10/14 for 3 years now. I’m not sure what questions you have or if I can answer them. There are some studs in KS and some hunters but it’s not terrible as far as pressure in my opinion. Don’t be scared, get a tag and go have fun it’ll be more regretful waiting.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:28 pm

Tribute80 wrote:I have hunted zone 10/14 for 3 years now. I’m not sure what questions you have or if I can answer them. There are some studs in KS and some hunters but it’s not terrible as far as pressure in my opinion. Don’t be scared, get a tag and go have fun it’ll be more regretful waiting.

I was looking more in zone 9, Thanks for the words of encouragement. At first I was just looking for areas as far as possible from hotels, as I felt this would decrease the number of other hunters, but It seems like it is hard to avoid those hotels.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Personally, I have a little knowledge of Zones 19, 14, 13 and 12, from least to most familiar. Interesting to think about. I didn’t hunt back then, but there was never any Wisconsin-like pressure. (particularly southern WI)

How difficult are the draws?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:44 am

Definitely less pressure then south Wisconsin hunting. I have drawn 3 years in a row without and points. I hear that there will be some years I won’t get drawn but I haven’t experienced it yet. I still go to areas most people wouldn’t try to go so I don’t see too much pressure. I do have a couple easy to get to areas I sit. Mostly small game and bird hunters walk-in on me there.

I would say trying to use the distance from a hotel as a guide
may not produce the results due to Kansas having tons of good camping areas. A lot of hunters could be camping close to where the hunting area your interested in is. We stay at a camp site and the closest hotel is probably 40 miles from us.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:26 am

Tribute80 wrote:Definitely less pressure then south Wisconsin hunting. I have drawn 3 years in a row without and points. I hear that there will be some years I won’t get drawn but I haven’t experienced it yet. I still go to areas most people wouldn’t try to go so I don’t see too much pressure. I do have a couple easy to get to areas I sit. Mostly small game and bird hunters walk-in on me there.

I would say trying to use the distance from a hotel as a guide
may not produce the results due to Kansas having tons of good camping areas. A lot of hunters could be camping close to where the hunting area your interested in is. We stay at a camp site and the closest hotel is probably 40 miles from us.

Thanks. I know of some areas like that. Something I’m going to noodle on...
----------
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:34 am

I am thinking I am just going to go for it and try to learn as I go. Not sure what to expect but will have fun no matter what. I have been trying to find a website that list all the campgrounds in Kansas, but have been finding mainly state parks.
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:12 am

I think that’s an excellent choice and a great attitude.

I’m no expert as we stay at a state park camp site. How ever I have talked to some guys in the field when I’m hunt and they say they stay at this or that camp site. I got the impression that every little town had their own but I’m not sure how you would find them.

Go late October- early December and you will see deer. Weather does effect how many deer but you will see deer hot or cold.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:22 pm

Well I cast the dice, I applied for my tag, lots of things going on that I could have used as excuses not to apply, but I said "what the heck." My friend that I scouted with cant go, and I only asked 1other hunter i know about coming with but he couldnt go, so I guess if I draw I am going to do this solo!!
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Sat May 01, 2021 1:45 am

Pudster wrote:Well I cast the dice, I applied for my tag, lots of things going on that I could have used as excuses not to apply, but I said "what the heck." My friend that I scouted with cant go, and I only asked 1other hunter i know about coming with but he couldnt go, so I guess if I draw I am going to do this solo!!

Good luck Pudster. I will be going to Nebraska In July with the family, gonna check out some water access. Only got 3 days there then we are going to South Dakota badlands and black hills. Nice thing about planning the vacations get to sneak in alittle deer scouting. Then back to mn for a few days to our property. Check on plots and mess around for a few days. Get ready for the rut hunt. Then will have to go back to reality and work after 16 days of fun.
btsnhos

Unread postby btsnhos » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Pudster wrote:I am thinking I am just going to go for it and try to learn as I go. Not sure what to expect but will have fun no matter what. I have been trying to find a website that list all the campgrounds in Kansas, but have been finding mainly state parks.

download "the dyrt" app, it shows all campsites in an area, thats what i use. Good luck and have fun.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”