Newbie but excitesa

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nathan1989

Newbie but excitesa

Unread postby Nathan1989 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:41 am

So happy to be on the forrum. I just started hunting in 2020. A friend of mine pestered me for a decade to go hunting with him and I just didn't think it was for me......until the first sit. Funny, I didn't see not a single deer but being in the woods has grabbed a hold of me and won't let go. My next sit was by myself and I was absolutely terrified to walk into the dark woods and I only went in about 100 yards. It's gotten much better but I hope I can shake that fear eventually. I have spent all january and February scouting on saturdays and intend to continue through April every chance possible. Southeast texas has a reputation for its challenges but I'm convinced there are big deer out there. Completely a beginner....laughably a beginner. Any tips for a city slicker turned country?

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: Newbie but excitesa

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:44 pm

Everybody is a newbie at some time :lol: . Welcome to the Beast. Nothing cooler than being in a tree and having opportunities, passing for something more desirable, or not seeing anything. Its a place to take stock of life, relax, make plans all while waiting to pounce. I dont believe in luck, I make my luck by scouting...a lot. Always something to learn. Keep at it.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:15 am

Welcome to the club! I was an adult-onset hunter as well. You're in for a wild and awesome ride. The day you kill your first deer will be a transformative event in your life and something to really look forward to. One bit of advice is while you'll see a lot of information and free advice, remember that the deer in the woods you hunt is different than the deer everyone else hunts. Some tactics work but others won't. Doesn't hurt to try new ideas and figure it out for yourself. Congrats on entering the hunting ranks! Looking forward to hear about your journey.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:01 pm

Welcome.
Good luck on your new journey.
Starting out going after deer on the ground is what I did. A guy can learn a lot more going to the sign and the deer and spooking a few and picking ambush spots.
Woodsmanship, a good headlamp and confidence can slay deer.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Nathan1989

Unread postby Nathan1989 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:49 pm

Hey thank y’all for the response and words of encouragement. Heading out tomorrow for some hog hunting / scouting. Last week I found an area with some white oaks, red oaks and even a walnut tree about 100 yards from bedding. 50 yards behind that was an isolated water hole with what I thought about 3 or 4 mock scrapes. I’m excited to hit this next year but I also don’t want to screw it up. Any tips on when to hunt over the oaks? When to hunt near the bedding? When to hunt over the mock scrapes? I hunt with a saddle for what it’s worth?
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:11 am

Just get out there- the more time you spend, the more you will learn. Enjoy it and don’t be frustrated, learn and grow from mistakes.
Ryan
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:30 am

Main thing is just have fun... The success will come slowly an d ramp up the longer you do it.... Your going to find yourself fustrated at times, but I bacn promise you, that at some point down the road if you stick with this, your best memories will ne from your struggles in the beginning, and not the biggest bucks you got.
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:32 am

Welcome to a fraternity of people who all started at some point where you currently are. My advice to you is a first deer trophy could be a yearling, young buck, young doe, mature doe or buck. The experience is the trophy, not the amount of inches it may carry upon its head. When you get your first opportunity to make the shot, take it and don’t hesitate. Taking your first deer will give you the confidence you will build on through the journey of bow hunting. Cheering you on as you move forward! Enjoy the ride... 8-)
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
Nathan1989

Unread postby Nathan1989 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:37 am

Any advice on how to rid myself of the fear of the woods? It's annoying me to high heaven. Will this eventually go away?
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:00 am

Nathan1989 wrote:Any advice on how to rid myself of the fear of the woods? It's annoying me to high heaven. Will this eventually go away?

What are you afraid of? Are you afraid of animals, getting lost?
I think we’ve all been there to some degree, but most things in the woods will run away from you, so bumping an animal in the dark may startle you- but that animal is also trying to get away from you as quickly as possible.
Getting lost..... map it, scout it, but no matter what, it is easy to get turned around in the dark. Go in with a nice bright headlamp. If you aren’t comfortable, then you won’t enjoy it. That fear could keep you from going out to the woods. On paper, it is an easy solution. I’m not trying to downplay your concern.
About 20 yrs ago the fear of getting lost kept me from really going into some new places 2 hrs before daylight in the pitch black mountains of Pennsylvania , until one day I just made myself go. I survived, it was uneventful, all hyped up over nothing.
Ryan
Nathan1989

Unread postby Nathan1989 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:20 am

I guess it’s just of the unknown. I’m just gonna have to man up and stop thinking like a prey. I appreciate all he responses. Very excited to join the hunt.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:53 am

Nathan1989 wrote:I guess it’s just of the unknown. I’m just gonna have to man up and stop thinking like a prey. I appreciate all he responses. Very excited to join the hunt.
Unless you hunt in grizzly or mountain lion territory, you're the undisputed apex predator in the woods. Everything is scared of you. If you haven't already, apply for your concealed carry permit and carry a side arm with you. Most states allow you to carry your side arm if you have a CCW - but double-check the regs to be sure. Just a good policy in my mind for in the woods or anywhere. Besides that, the more you do it, the less frightening it becomes. Maybe start with baby steps and hunt within eyesight of a street lamp.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:48 am

The amount of money you spend on gear directly correlates to antler size on bucks that will stand broadside at 10 yards looking the other way for minutes on end.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:51 am

In terms of the dark it took me until the end of my second season, then I realized it's the same place it was 30 minutes prior when it was light out. Also nothing wants anything to do with you unless there is a SEVERE lack of food. I used to be terrified of Bears. My first kill was a small 85lb doe that I dragged out undressed because I was certain a bear would smell me gutting it and come and steal it.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:32 am

Reality is, everything has to eat. More often than not, we are the top of the food chain. I do understand wolves, coyotes and mountain lions, but we are the apex predators most of the time. Almost everything runs from us.
That’s not to say that the woods can’t be scary. Be patient, be confident. We all are going to die someday, might as well do it while chasing big bucks.
Ryan

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”