Newbie but excitesa

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrdeerhuntr

Re: Newbie but excitesa

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:15 am

Nathan1989 wrote:I guess it’s just of the unknown. I’m just gonna have to man up and stop thinking like a prey. I appreciate all he responses. Very excited to join the hunt.

I had some nerves at one point too, but then I figured if the woods were that bad no deer would ever survive.

gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:32 pm

Enjoy the ride, set very modest, easily attainable goals, and don’t take things too seriously. This is all supposed to be fun. I’ve had next to no success on public land, but I still go because I enjoy deer hunting and it’s good exercise. If my enjoyment was based solely on my successful kills on public land, I’d be the most miserable hunter alive.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:22 am

Welcome aboard.

The fear of the dark woods is just a reaction of being in a completely new situation. It will go away. But the best thing to do is be extremely familiar with the area and be familiar with your gps or some sort of mapping app. Think about it, you likely aren’t afraid of the dark in your house, in your yard or in your neighborhood. Because you are familiar with those places…

If anything go an hour earlier than you need to, get to your spot and now you are forced to sit there in the dark for a while and your nerves will chill. If your only experience with it is rushing in the dark nervously and then it becomes daylight shortly after being in the woods then your mind is still in that mode of dark=panic. But by being immersed in it and allowing your mind to deal with it and become comfortable in the dark, it should not be such a trigger the next time…

Also like you said you only went 100 yards the first time, that’s fine. Next time go 200, then 300 etc… build up that confidence with experience.

Good luck, have fun!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:00 am

You certainly aren’t the first person too get into it later on. Have fun, put the time in and you’ll get there. You should have a lot of fun along the way. Though it may not always feel fun. Also holding out for a big buck is great but try and get some kills under your belt be it does or smaller bucks. You want to be a proficient killer when you start getting into some larger animals.

Best of luck
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”