T minus one month leaving for Nebraska Sandhills

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mopar1169
500 Club

T minus one month leaving for Nebraska Sandhills

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:26 pm

One month away and can't wait to hit the Sandhills. Just gotta get the new bolts built and everything is ready. Bean doing a bunch of cyber scouting after what I learned last year. Gotta a bunch more spots to check now on top of what I marked last year. Gonna be fun. Got a full two weeks to hunt this year too. Anybody else going to the Sandhills this year? Good luck to everyone this season. Gonna find some slobs. :mrgreen:

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: T minus one month leaving for Nebraska Sandhills

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:30 am

I will be in north central Nebraska 9/3-9/7. It’s my first out of state hunt. I would be interested in hearing more about what you learned that first trip and how you plan on doing things differently this time around.

2 weeks! I am excited for you! I hope you tag a monster!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am

NorthStar wrote:I will be in north central Nebraska 9/3-9/7. It’s my first out of state hunt. I would be interested in hearing more about what you learned that first trip and how you plan on doing things differently this time around.

Where you starting at? 4 days is not a lot of time. We were there 9 days last year and it took about 4-5 days jumping around to find some decent bucks. Last year we hit a bunch of wma's first but we're only seeing does. All the crops were up still because it was super wet and there was no acorns. All the bucks were on private in the ag. We would see them out in the fields coming out or when driving around. So after abouts 5 days poking around we went back and concentrated on the grasslands with no Ag around had really good luck finding deer around the lakes and marshes in thicker areas. It is all ground pound out in the grass lands guille suit and all ground hunting.

If you haven't yet I would highly suggest watching all the Nebraska thp videos. Some really good info in them.

This year may be totally different in the wma's because there should be acorns and I would imagine the crops should be coming off out there pretty soon with as dry as they have been this year. The grasslands are huge but if you concentrate on the marshes lakes and brush holes out there it rules out a bunch of area.

One other thing the deer when they are out in the open during the day run alot. So if you see one running it may not be running from you it is just what they do for some reason. They seem to stop when they get into some type of cover wether it is a edge or large draws. Took a couple days to figure that out.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:44 am

I'm tempted to head to the Sandhills for a few days this year. I had an encounter with a big mulie out there a couple years ago that I can't get out of my head. I need to get my truck camping rig figured out, that's all that is stopping me. If any of y'all ever get to southeast nebraska drop me a message, that's my neighborhood.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:48 am

Mopar1169 wrote:
NorthStar wrote:I will be in north central Nebraska 9/3-9/7. It’s my first out of state hunt. I would be interested in hearing more about what you learned that first trip and how you plan on doing things differently this time around.

Where you starting at? 4 days is not a lot of time. We were there 9 days last year and it took about 4-5 days jumping around to find some decent bucks. Last year we hit a bunch of wma's first but we're only seeing does. All the crops were up still because it was super wet and there was no acorns. All the bucks were on private in the ag. We would see them out in the fields coming out or when driving around. So after abouts 5 days poking around we went back and concentrated on the grasslands with no Ag around had really good luck finding deer around the lakes and marshes in thicker areas. It is all ground pound out in the grass lands guille suit and all ground hunting.

If you haven't yet I would highly suggest watching all the Nebraska thp videos. Some really good info in them.

This year may be totally different in the wma's because there should be acorns and I would imagine the crops should be coming off out there pretty soon with as dry as they have been this year. The grasslands are huge but if you concentrate on the marshes lakes and brush holes out there it rules out a bunch of area.

One other thing the deer when they are out in the open during the day run alot. So if you see one running it may not be running from you it is just what they do for some reason. They seem to stop when they get into some type of cover wether it is a edge or large draws. Took a couple days to figure that out.

Portions of the Sandhills and the north west are in a drought this year. The Sandhills in particular will be much much drier that last year. I would think that would make your strategy even more effective. I'll be curious to hear what you find different this year. I'm going to have to try and go to for a few days, maybe late October.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:21 pm

DhD wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:

Portions of the Sandhills and the north west are in a drought this year. The Sandhills in particular will be much much drier that last year. I would think that would make your strategy even more effective. I'll be curious to hear what you find different this year. I'm going to have to try and go to for a few days, maybe late October.

Cool I was hoping it would be drier this year. There was a few places I wanted to go last year I just couldn't get to because rivers running too high. I will let you know how it goes. We got a game plan this year. Picking up right where we left off last year. I think at least one of the 3 of us will get a crack at a dandy maybe more. Buddy got a decent 8 last year. I still can see that 10 pointer I saw last year at 70. Was a beauty. Hopefully he survived and can get back on him again. I am probably gonna take a day and poke around fort niobrara see if I can see some elk and muleys. Sounds like fun anyways.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:26 pm

Mopar1169 wrote:

I am going to be around the city of Niobrara. I agree that 4 probably isn’t enough. If I could get more days I would but this is the best I could do. I have watched all THP videos you are referring to and picked up a lot of good tips. There are a lot of good tips just in this thread!

Sounds like water is key and especially this year. I will take the whole first day to sit up high and glass patches of green below. Hope to get on something this way but just getting to hunt for 4 days is good enough for me!

Good luck and thanks for all of the tips!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:42 pm

NorthStar wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:

I am going to be around the city of Niobrara. I agree that 4 probably isn’t enough. If I could get more days I would but this is the best I could do. I have watched all THP videos you are referring to and picked up a lot of good tips. There are a lot of good tips just in this thread!

Sounds like water is key and especially this year. I will take the whole first day to sit up high and glass patches of green below. Hope to get on something this way but just getting to hunt for 4 days is good enough for me!

Good luck to you too. I will be over by valentine. So what I saw may not be the same over there. That is alittle smaller area over there so might be easier to locate them faster. There is over 200000 acres of public in the Valentine area so pretty big pieces.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:45 pm

Good luck fellas, I am starting to pack tonight!!!
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Pudster wrote:Good luck fellas, I am starting to pack tonight!!!

Don't be killing my big one before I get there. :twisted:
Good luck let us know how it goes.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:54 am

Should be about all ready. Gotta do alittle more shooting. But got my 505 grain death darts done. Running at 22% foc. 18.3 inch sirius phoenix shafts, firenock u nocks, ethics 143 gr. Spinning inserts and 125 broadhead. Got the bow restrung and new rest on. Just gotta keep putting some bolts down range and should be all set.
Screenshot_20200901-193428.png
Screenshot_20200901-193404.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:05 pm

Good luck out there, I'll be headed out that way again for the 3rd year with the rifle. this year my dad is going with me. We haven't hunted together in 20 years, should be a blast.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:39 pm

Good luck to you and your dad. Did you get the one in your avatar out there? Nice buck either way.
Silent J

Unread postby Silent J » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Mopar1169 wrote:
NorthStar wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:

Good luck to you too. I will be over by valentine. So what I saw may not be the same over there. That is alittle smaller area over there so might be easier to locate them faster. There is over 200000 acres of public in the Valentine area so pretty big pieces.

200,000 acres? Seriously? Two hundred thousand?!

That's crazy if there's not an extra 0 in there. The 'big' pieces in Kansas are 1,000.
The goal is in stone. The plan is in sand.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:10 pm

Silent J wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:
NorthStar wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:

200,000 acres? Seriously? Two hundred thousand?!

That's crazy if there's not an extra 0 in there. The 'big' pieces in Kansas are 1,000.

Yup 200,000 maybe alittle more all within a hour drive from valentine. Mckelvin is 115,000 acres alone, valentine is 73000 acres, fort niobrara is 19,000 acres, there is easily another 10,000 in wma's and ofw's around that area too. Never run out of places to go.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”