T minus one month leaving for Nebraska Sandhills

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Re: T minus one month leaving for Nebraska Sandhills

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:42 am

Congrats & sorry

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:45 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Congrats & sorry

Thanks. It's a new year so no sorry needed. Leave in the morning see if we can punch all three tags this year. Got two punched last year should of been three but buddy had a bad hit never found it.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:33 am

Good luck out there this year. Are you going to that same area where you had that big buck walk right by you in the marsh?
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:53 am

BRoth82 wrote:Good luck out there this year. Are you going to that same area where you had that big buck walk right by you in the marsh?

Yup going back to that area. Will be all over the place. Gotta wait for the right wind to go back into that marsh but will definitely be hitting it up if it isn't full of cows. The cows were close to there when I was out there the end of July so we will see.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:46 am

Good luck!
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:24 pm

Well Nebraska was a bust. I saw 4 bucks the first night In a new spot I went to. Then the temps went to 95 for 3 days straight. Every place we went during and after we could not find deer. The places we had found great bucks before were full of cows.

Pretty much had to start over couldn't even hardy find does. Went from seeing 50-100 deer a day last year to seeing 2-10 this year. Went into niobrara the one day there was so many acorns it was stupid. I walked 13 miles and never kicked or saw a deer. Couldn't believe it. Plus the fed gave me a major kick. I walked in on the overlook walked the top around to the buffalo gate. Gates were locked with 300 buffalo on the other side of the fence. Had to walk a extra 4 miles back to the overlook. That really sucked. I was hurting by the time I got out.

Was still a fun trip. Just don't understand what happened to all the deer. Couldn't find anything to save our lives. Was up on spots where we could see for miles and never see a deer. Totally unlike the two years before. Never saw a buck over a basket 8. Oh well onto Michigan and Minnesota. Good luck to anyone trying Nebraska this year it is definitely different from the last two years.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:37 am

Wow, it’s amazing that things changed so dramatically, but is that common or uncommon for that terrain type? What I mean is that there’s not an abundance of great cover so if they have to relocate they really have to relocate, and that means quite a ways away.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:53 am

Mopar1169 wrote:Well Nebraska was a bust. I saw 4 bucks the first night In a new spot I went to. Then the temps went to 95 for 3 days straight. Every place we went during and after we could not find deer. The places we had found great bucks before were full of cows.

Pretty much had to start over couldn't even hardy find does. Went from seeing 50-100 deer a day last year to seeing 2-10 this year. Went into niobrara the one day there was so many acorns it was stupid. I walked 13 miles and never kicked or saw a deer. Couldn't believe it. Plus the fed gave me a major kick. I walked in on the overlook walked the top around to the buffalo gate. Gates were locked with 300 buffalo on the other side of the fence. Had to walk a extra 4 miles back to the overlook. That really sucked. I was hurting by the time I got out.

Was still a fun trip. Just don't understand what happened to all the deer. Couldn't find anything to save our lives. Was up on spots where we could see for miles and never see a deer. Totally unlike the two years before. Never saw a buck over a basket 8. Oh well onto Michigan and Minnesota. Good luck to anyone trying Nebraska this year it is definitely different from the last two years.

Wow, that really stinks. Sorry to hear about how much changed since last year, definitely a bummer. I can certainly relate though on great spots going bad based on factors outside of your control.

One question I have for you is about the cost of hunting Nebraska. I started to look into this as an out of state venture and holy moly is it expensive! Do you get the buck tag for the entire state, or just the ones for certain zones? I was shocked at the pricing overall and simply wondering how you mitigate costs.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:28 am

I ended up shooting a doe my last day in Nebraska. I saw the same thing. So many cattle openly grazing in the tiny amount public land that is out there. Not sure when I will be back but it’s gotten worse and worse and years go on honestly.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:34 am

HunterBob wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:Well Nebraska was a bust. I saw 4 bucks the first night In a new spot I went to. Then the temps went to 95 for 3 days straight. Every place we went during and after we could not find deer. The places we had found great bucks before were full of cows.

Wow, that really stinks. Sorry to hear about how much changed since last year, definitely a bummer. I can certainly relate though on great spots going bad based on factors outside of your control.

One question I have for you is about the cost of hunting Nebraska. I started to look into this as an out of state venture and holy moly is it expensive! Do you get the buck tag for the entire state, or just the ones for certain zones? I was shocked at the pricing overall and simply wondering how you mitigate costs.

Archery tag is 310 good for the entire state. Rifle tags are expensive I have never rifle hunted there. Muzzleloader is the same price as archery I think. Yeah it was a pretty big letdown wasn't for lack of trying probably walked 50-55 miles in 8 days and drove a few hundred miles looking for deer.

Think we are gonna take a break from me for a year or two trying something new next year.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:37 am

Bowhuntercoop wrote:I ended up shooting a doe my last day in Nebraska. I saw the same thing. So many cattle openly grazing in the tiny amount public land that is out there. Not sure when I will be back but it’s gotten worse and worse and years go on honestly.

Yup all the cattle were in the best bedding areas. Alot of the places the cows were gone already but they destroyed all the bedding. Only thing around was a few old stubborn does. Guess I should of been alittle more careful my first day in. Saw four bucks that night but just before dark I walked it to figure the place out for the future. Blew everything out. Oh we'll never dreamed the first place I went would be the best.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:23 pm

Mopar1169 wrote:
HunterBob wrote:

Archery tag is 310 good for the entire state. Rifle tags are expensive I have never rifle hunted there. Muzzleloader is the same price as archery I think. Yeah it was a pretty big letdown wasn't for lack of trying probably walked 50-55 miles in 8 days and drove a few hundred miles looking for deer.

Think we are gonna take a break from me for a year or two trying something new next year.

Got it, I must have been looking at rifle tags. $310 is much more doable. Thanks for the info, hope you find some better spots for next year!
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:44 pm

Rifle by zone is in around 300. There is or was a statewide tag that goes for $500+. Good deer state just not enough public to go around. Something like 3% of the state is public
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:46 pm

HunterBob wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:
HunterBob wrote:

Got it, I must have been looking at rifle tags. $310 is much more doable. Thanks for the info, hope you find some better spots for next year!

No problem good luck to you. I will be on our place in MN in 3 weeks. I am there now. We stopped for a night on our way home. Looks good. Be much better then what I just came from.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:49 am

greenhorndave wrote:Wow, it’s amazing that things changed so dramatically, but is that common or uncommon for that terrain type? What I mean is that there’s not an abundance of great cover so if they have to relocate they really have to relocate, and that means quite a ways away.

Not sure if it is common or not. It was alot warmer this year then the last two and there were a ton of acorns on the river flats. The cows had grazed and we're in all the spots I would have rather not seen them. The weird thing was we were not even seeing the deer on private that we normally see. Driving around and in and out. The hay fields were normally covered in whitetail and muleys. It was just weird like every deer just picked up and left. Did see about 30 speed goats the one morning first time seeing them while hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”