2019 Michigan Public Beast Member Challenge !!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

Re: 2019 Michigan Public Beast Member Challenge !!

Unread postby Trout » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:17 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Strikeout on my hunt- great to be out there. Gonna rain again.

How did your shoulder do?

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:23 am

Trout wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:Strikeout on my hunt- great to be out there. Gonna rain again.

How did your shoulder do?

its not good... that's all I want to say about that ! :lol:
SwampCritter

Unread postby SwampCritter » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:29 am

Sorry for such a late reply my Friday night was very epic for Michigan public land early October finally found the sign I wanted to see. moved in setup had several does and a young buck come out. had the young eight point at 40 yards and passed on him just not what I'm looking for but had a great time watching them and knowing that if I wanted to could have harvested them that's plenty good enough for me I learned a lot thanks singing bridge for putting up this challenge otherwise I would have never done it hit it as hard.. this little guy was full of excitement he was funny to watch those poor does...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You go up there in the woods ..... and I'll go down to the swamp... I'll get that buck.. :violin: :whistle:
SwampCritter

Unread postby SwampCritter » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:30 am

I also chose the ghillie suit and ground set for Friday night cuz I could not find a tree that was good enough as you can tell from the picture I was underground up-close-and-personal haha. All my other sets have been hang and hunt this week.
You go up there in the woods ..... and I'll go down to the swamp... I'll get that buck.. :violin: :whistle:
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:55 am

20191006_164931.jpg

Finally hunting a spot that gets cell service so I had to get the obligatory selfie. Never been here before but decided to stash the stand/sticks and go the spot and stalk route.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Acer18
Facebook: Asa Bays

Unread postby Acer18 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:33 pm

Hunt #2 skunked tonight. Jumped a doe and 2 fawns 25 yards from intended tree. Set up ontop of scrape just inside of suspected bedding but didn't see a thing. On to the next one
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Trout wrote:20191006_164931.jpg

Finally hunting a spot that gets cell service so I had to get the obligatory selfie. Never been here before but decided to stash the stand/sticks and go the spot and stalk route.

Looks like Sasquatch to me. :o
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:12 am

Well to sum up my weekend I had a ton of fun but some unforeseen circumstances kept me out of the woods Sunday.

Hunted Saturday night in a location I haven't hunted. walked in the access over a mile then cut down to the swamp edge and hunted an little bowl where swamp edge meets the timber. I didn't want to press in to far at first more or less an observation sit. only deer I saw was a doe at 15 yards. I went to take a crack at her, but as I drew my arrow/rest combo made a little bit of a noise and she picked me off pretty good.....not meant to be haha.

Sunday my intention was to get back to the same area but press a little further but I ended up not being able to make it out.

I will try and get back there this upcoming weekend as the wind looks good for this location.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:34 am

Did a friday AM sit with a friend to a spot i've never hunted before (but he has been to.) We setup about 200 yards from eachother on the downwind side of a bedding area. About 8:30 I heard the unmistakeable sound of a 'thud' from an arrow impact.

"Great" I was thinking and waited for the inevitable text to follow. Surely it did and he said he arrowed a good buck but the hit was questionable. So we finished our hunt up around 10am and then decided to track.

Arrowed coated in tallow with just a few streaks of bright blood near the fletching. Nothing to write home about. Also offside shot at a questionably close angle. But did get on blood fairly quickly. Most of it was bright red but no bubbles. We followed it for maybe 100 yards before losing it completely. Pretty sure it was grazing shot or some low percentage shot with a very low exit. Looked for a good hour but lost all sign. Bummer.

Got some valuable intel though about the bedding area and some spots to setup. Found a few totally unmistakeable beds too - see attached pictures- with plenty of sign adjacent to the beds.

I'm pretty sure the buck was feeding up a ridge on some oak flats or neighboring private. There was a fairly worn trail he was using that crossed by my buddies stand at about 10 yards. I might go back and setup there tomorrow if the wind is good. And see if I can't put eyes on him.

"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:54 am

Update :. Went back and looked for my buck for a few hours .. nothing . It just wasn’t meant to be. Least I have it a good try. Decided to let that area get a rest. Decided to try some hills instead of marsh and swamp. Acorns are dropping heavy in my area. I picked what looked to be nice funnel . I expected deer to come from the fields down below and stop to feed on acorns on there way back to bed. I left early like at 430 so I can try to scout a bit as I walked in. Found a fresh scrape and rub and tons of buck crap with dropping acorns to boot. So I set up and waited for some action. I got 25 feet up to try increase my chances of not getting winded. Boy what a morning! Saw 16 deer. Saw a 2 1/2 year 8 point at first light but was in the thick. Saw 4 spikes , and the rest doe’s until around 9am when another buck came in. Looked like another 2 1/2 year so I decided to take him. 20 mins later another buck , 7 point came in. Wish I would’ve waited haha. Oh well. Still a happy hunter for northern Michigan whitetail . Starting to get better at getting on them up here. Hoping my next one will be a mounter 8-)
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:01 am

The deer
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:07 am

Wolfofmibu wrote:The deer

Congrats!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:19 am

Congrats!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 am

Nice buck !!!
tkohuntsMI

Unread postby tkohuntsMI » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:18 am

Wolfofmibu wrote:The deer

Congrats!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”