Get Out... Buck and Bear

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:37 am

Bear hunting you can haul a lot of bait in with one too in one trip. A lot of the public land I bear hunt will not allow ATV's... If you carry bait in, it can be quite a job especially when I travel to Minnesota and only bait once a week. Some of the baits are remote and I might use as many as 6 full buckets of bait at each site and also have to carry spray bottles, goodys, etc... Sled the bait in, the bear out.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:15 am

I was in a local archery shop one time and the owner had a new mount on the wall of a Pope & Young buck / certificate that he took on public land. I asked him if he was willing to share the story, and he was. He was getting up there in age, but still should have been able to get the buck out... but instead he drove to the nearest town and searched for a couple of guys from the local high school. When he found them, he offered 2 of them $20 bucks a piece to drag out his buck- he told them it was nearly a mile back in. The youngsters saw gas/beer money, and little else. They rocketed that buck out for the guy, and he was a happy camper.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:16 am

My three older brother are some help once in awhile
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:26 am

Most of the time I use a Glen Deer Handle, it really works great. Tie the legs over the head slip this over the neck or horns and away you go. I guy was telling me in Horicon Marsh he will use a old 10 speed bike tie the head over the handlebars and the gutted part goes over the seat and then just push it out. I want to give this a try this year.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:36 am

Beauford wrote: I guy was telling me in Horicon Marsh he will use a old 10 speed bike tie the head over the handlebars and the gutted part goes over the seat and then just push it out. I want to give this a try this year.

I picture this as the deer riding the bike! Now if it would only help out and pedal too! :lol:
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:I was in a local archery shop one time and the owner had a new mount on the wall of a Pope & Young buck / certificate that he took on public land. I asked him if he was willing to share the story, and he was. He was getting up there in age, but still should have been able to get the buck out... but instead he drove to the nearest town and searched for a couple of guys from the local high school. When he found them, he offered 2 of them $20 bucks a piece to drag out his buck- he told them it was nearly a mile back in. The youngsters saw gas/beer money, and little else. They rocketed that buck out for the guy, and he was a happy camper.
Great story!!! Good thinking on the old mans part!
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:12 am

I've used draft mules to get hunters and bait into and bears out of my bear stands for years. I use a hard plastic sled like the otter but with lower side walls and tie the bear in tight. We put a tag line off the back to keep the bear from sliding up under the mule while going downhill. This prevents a real woods rodeo from starting. Mules are better than horses ( I have used both) they are very sure footed in rocky ground and will even jump from rock to rock. They are incredibly strong and I have had people stand on the back of the sled with the bear and surf out of the woods for miles on more level ground. They can carry 200+ lb bait loads all day long to places you could never get a quad to. M.P.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:20 am

OK if you use a sled do you take it out with you on ever hunt, or does it stay in the car until you get a deer. Also does your answer change if you are gun hunting vs bow hunting.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:52 am

For deer removal I never get the sled out of the truck until I have confirmed a deer down.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:11 am

martin peters wrote:I've used draft mules to get hunters and bait into and bears out of my bear stands for years.

Very cool, Martin- you sure don't see that very often. 8-)

If you've got any pics, we'd love to see 'em :!:
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:04 am

I would say that mules are better than horses, less likely to stampede. I have some pretty broke horses, but I have a feeling if I tied them to a sled with a bear in it, the would run like untill they could no longer smell it, and if it is tied on good that could be while!!!!
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:02 am

I'll see if I can get you some pic's. You might have to wait untill Sept. As far as bear scent and spooking the mules, a little preseason conditioning was in order. Even though 2 of the three had been packed on in Colorado, they ate hay for many days that had been in contact with a bloody bear cape and had that bear cape up wind of them during pre feeding many times. I had to make sure they were going to be safe around the hunters. M.P.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Mules / bears / camp pics... I don't ask for much MP! :mrgreen:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Pulled some sled pic's out of some footage... If you look close you can see the rope and bungee's holding the legs and head in the sled.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:54 am

Cool pics- a buck in the sled with some snow on the ground. The ropes and bungees keeping that buck secured in the sled are vital- he wouldn't stay in long without them going through any type of cover. Last year I pulled my buck in a sled through some incredibly nasty cover, and it worked well. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”