Define "Overlooked"

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

d_rek

Re: Define "Overlooked"

Unread postby d_rek » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:24 am

I tend to view an overlooked spot as something that everyone else would immediately write off based on proximity to or ease of access. Hard to get to areas also fit the bill, but in my neck of the woods there aren't too many places where you can go in ultra deep that others aren't willing to go. The parking lot example is typical, but I found a really nice staging area with a couple of nice beds in the spring that was less than 150 yards from the road. There was no shoulder to park on and the nearest parking access was 1/2 mile away. Most guys don't want to hunt right next to the road because it doesn't fit their idea of 'hunting'. I bet you know where i'll be this fall.

"When a human being willfully takes the life of a wild sentient creature, in my opinion, they are then separated forever from those who have not." -Shane Mahoney
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:47 am

If its obvious, it ain't overlooked enough. There is one spot on this photo nobody in my family has ever stepped, and we have been pounding this area for 40 years. Have dragged deer back to every parking area I marked on this.

We did shoot a real nice buck probably 10 years ago right where the hiking trail on the bottom meets the lowest portion of the atv trail. One uncle jumped it out, and another shot it. Honestly I got $20 he could have shot it while sitting on his tailgate. Middle of the week during gun season.

So there is two overlooked spots here if you look for them. And if you struggle to find them, don't ever walk back to your truck the same way you walked in. Walk a different route. Might be surprised at what you find. Almost shot a doe a few years back 30 yards from the parking lot where a couple guys were complaining about not seeing any deer.
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
Evanszach7

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:34 pm

Jonny wrote:Image

If its obvious, it ain't overlooked enough. There is one spot on this photo nobody in my family has ever stepped, and we have been pounding this area for 40 years. Have dragged deer back to every parking area I marked on this.

We did shoot a real nice buck probably 10 years ago right where the hiking trail on the bottom meets the lowest portion of the atv trail. One uncle jumped it out, and another shot it. Honestly I got $20 he could have shot it while sitting on his tailgate. Middle of the week during gun season.

So there is two overlooked spots here if you look for them. And if you struggle to find them, don't ever walk back to your truck the same way you walked in. Walk a different route. Might be surprised at what you find. Almost shot a doe a few years back 30 yards from the parking lot where a couple guys were complaining about not seeing any deer.

How’s that triangle between parking and the atv trail?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:37 pm

Evanszach7 wrote:

Looks pretty overlooked doesn’t it?
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
thepennsylvanian

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:41 pm

I have had a lot of trouble with this too over the past year, and until just two weeks ago I kept telling myself the areas guys were saying would be overlooked just could not be in my area. So I just decided to look anyway and I found a spot not 70 yds from a parking area that was absolutely destroyed with deer beds and rubs. Not to mention some type of natural mineral lick that looked like cattle had been hitting it. It smelled like a farm it had been hit so hard.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:51 am

Learning about bedding and how a deer picks his safe area is key to picking "overlooked". When searching the woods you no longer see 10 acres as the right size or 100 even.
Dan has talked about grid searching a property when sign indicated a good buck was nearby. If you can't find a bed in a traditional location then don't think traditional. Them smart old bucks will surprise us with finding a small safe spot in almost a 10 foot square pocket.
I love understanding the size and nature of their bedding. Going out to scout around and picking those pockets from the surrounding area is like digging diamonds. WHOA, ALRIGHT!
Evanszach7

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:00 am

Jonny wrote:
Evanszach7 wrote:

Looks pretty overlooked doesn’t it?

:lol:
MIRyan

Unread postby MIRyan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Good stuff guys. Appreciate all the feedback.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:14 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:I have had a lot of trouble with this too over the past year, and until just two weeks ago I kept telling myself the areas guys were saying would be overlooked just could not be in my area. So I just decided to look anyway and I found a spot not 70 yds from a parking area that was absolutely destroyed with deer beds and rubs. Not to mention some type of natural mineral lick that looked like cattle had been hitting it. It smelled like a farm it had been hit so hard.

I looked for years and never found one, finally stubled onto one by accident a couple years back and the light bulb started to flickr, found two more since then and I am starting to get the hang of them a little more. I consider them my retirement plan for when I get too old to go way back in the swamp. :lol:
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:53 pm

Sorry, I missed this post. I wish I'd seen it sooner!
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Brick1083

Unread postby Brick1083 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 am

When I read about some of the overlooked areas people are finding, especially areas where bucks are watching the parking lots or trails, I'm reminded of a 2 yr-old buck I shot (back before I switched to archery and before I found the Beast). On this public area, folks have to park in the prescribed lot. Then they generally proceed to walk down the dirt road toward one of the 3 blocks of timber I marked with stars. I spent the morning in the long slender strip of timber to the left of the main path, watching a few trees that were dropping mast. Shortly after noon, I decided to move to a different spot. When I started to emerge from the trees, I saw a buck stand up and start browsing right around his bed in full daylight. I couldn't believe it. He was bedded in the small thicket I marked with an arrow. The thicket was on a subtle rise. From it, the buck could easily watch all the trucks coming and going from the parking area and all the hunters walking right past on the path.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:25 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Don't over complicated… anywhere humans/hunters don't normally go. And that can vary based upon the terrain and the knowledge of people hunting it.

right on money period. im hunting a big buck right now that lives 200 yards from 9 guys hunting a field edges they are hunting night sign the buck is tucked in a little cattail swamp bedding on a point 50 yards off the road. a guy sits every night on the field edge the buck comes out from. but hes over 200 yards from the bed and because of terrain the dropping thermals will bust him every night. im hunting fifty yards from the bed in the cattails and hitting one exit trail after another. its only a matter of time now. im not too worried about burning the spot cuz i actually want too. reason being all i will do is push the buck down into some oxbows on the river that i plan on hunting during the rut. over looked is just a place you look at and most hunters walk right past. even if they hunt it 90% of guys just dont get close enough to make a kill or they make too much noise in the process or hunt it on the wrong wind. most guys are hunting the field edges so the dont get winded but they are actually alerting the buck before they even get up the tree. basically just rethink the spots you hunt if you say too yourself thats not a good spot you might want too rethink it. probably why new hunters kill a good buck then struggle later they get thinking strategy way too much and start hunting like hunters. but in the real world is way more simple than its made too be.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:12 am

Most of the overlooked spots I have found are places where at first, second, 98th glance the spot doesn't look like has the right ingredients to be a good spot. So no one ever goes there. Its almost like the spot is naturally camo'd in by design to look wrong. Then when you walk in to check it out you realize there is some hidden feature that makes it perfect for a buck to be safe from danger. After having watched Dan's bedding videos, I re-looked at all the hidden spots I have found over the years and every one of them had exactly the features Dan describes a buck requiring for secure bedding. I have found that a lot of these types of spots don't show up on a topo map or aerial photo, and the ones that do are usually in a place where there's no parking or the land isn't clearly marked as public access. In my winter scouting I make a point to mark all of the places on a piece of property I have walked on previous hunts/scouting , and then walk all the spots I haven't been to one at a time no matter how dumb or pointless to scout they seem to be. Almost without fail when I do this I will find an overlooked spot in one of the "dumb" or "pointless" spots. As someone mentioned before, understanding how a mature buck uses the wind & thermals for security is key in identifying these places. Wind and thermals are like binoculars for a deer's nose.
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:24 am

When it comes to pressured land, I don't try to find the best spot for bedding as much as I try to find the safest spots that may have some bedding features. In the grand scheme it's not the best looking but it's the best looking within the small area he thinks he's secure.

For me personally I've had luck seeing deer between parking lots and between a main road and parking lot. An example would be if there are two parking areas that are close in proximity, say a quarter to a half of a mile apart, it's easy for hunters to fly past the spot in the middle. Another would be if there's a parking area a couple of hundred yards off of the main road, most folks rarely walk back toward the main road from the lot. Heck, I've actually found spots near boat ramps. Makes sense though, if you're going through the trouble to put a boat in the water, you're going to go more than a 150 yards from the ramp before you hop out and hunt.

I may have stated the obvious but these things are fun to ponder.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:03 am

Its kind like when you walk in to Walmart. You walk past everything close to doors. But you know what is at back of store in sporting good section. Lots terrain is over looked close upfront and hunters walk right past it to get to back where they think they need to go to be productive.. Just human nature.
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.

Return to “Public Land Hunting”