Public Land Attitude...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JAK
500 Club

Re: Public Land Attitude...

Unread postby JAK » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:06 am

Jonny wrote:
ihookem wrote:I love public land. I dont see near the deer my cousin sees in Shawano co. private land , I only got one deer on public in SE Wis. in about 6 yrs of hunting it seriously though I did pass on a few chip shots at fawns. Now dont get me wrong, I am not jealous of guys with big chunks of private deer havens. I could even afford one if i wanted to but my retirement account is where it is today cause I don't spend 100K - 200 K on land , a 50 K cabin, 3K in taxes, food plots just to find a fresh cigarette but at the bottom of my permanent tree stand when I go there. If it not for public I would be way behind on my retirement plans , or I would not hunt at all. I'll take public all day long. I dont care one bit if I shoot a big buck or not, even a doe is cool. Every deer I ever shot was a gift from God .

I’ll own some private in a higher density area at some point in my life, but I’m still drawn to chasing public land deer. Would just like to be able to get a couple does every year for the freezer.

I do agree though, some of the biggest horror stories regarding hunting occur on private land

I've got 2 private parcels that I hunt and to be honest sometimes I feel that it can be pressured worse then allot of public because let's face it there's allot of places people just won't go unless you have a few scews loose like we all do on hear :lol: but I also hunted a private parcel for a few years just me and a buddy and if we kept pressure off it was awesome hunting. But less rewarding

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:29 am

JAK wrote:
Jonny wrote:
ihookem wrote:I love public land. I dont see near the deer my cousin sees in Shawano co. private land , I only got one deer on public in SE Wis. in about 6 yrs of hunting it seriously though I did pass on a few chip shots at fawns. Now dont get me wrong, I am not jealous of guys with big chunks of private deer havens. I could even afford one if i wanted to but my retirement account is where it is today cause I don't spend 100K - 200 K on land , a 50 K cabin, 3K in taxes, food plots just to find a fresh cigarette but at the bottom of my permanent tree stand when I go there. If it not for public I would be way behind on my retirement plans , or I would not hunt at all. I'll take public all day long. I dont care one bit if I shoot a big buck or not, even a doe is cool. Every deer I ever shot was a gift from God .

I’ll own some private in a higher density area at some point in my life, but I’m still drawn to chasing public land deer. Would just like to be able to get a couple does every year for the freezer.

I do agree though, some of the biggest horror stories regarding hunting occur on private land

I've got 2 private parcels that I hunt and to be honest sometimes I feel that it can be pressured worse then allot of public because let's face it there's allot of places people just won't go unless you have a few scews loose like we all do on hear :lol: but I also hunted a private parcel for a few years just me and a buddy and if we kept pressure off it was awesome hunting. But less rewarding

Exactly. I’d like to have private for a doe hunt or two, and something for my kids if I ever have any.

My buddy has private I can hunt whenever but just don’t cause of time constraints. He hunts once or twice a year and always shoots a doe or small buck for me if I don’t make it up by him. Keeps it unpressured and always has deer around.

My biggest issue right now is the public I bowhunt is very low density and honestly it gets old when you don’t see deer, and can’t find sign anywhere. I’m not a mature buck hunter like many here so it gets old fast, especially with 8 hours of driving each weekend to get there.

Hunted a piece of public this weekend that is really a bad property in a great area. We both saw deer going in blind. That just shows we at least have a clue on what we are doing. I won’t ever say public is too hard or you need to be on private to shoot deer. But man some public, especially big woods gets pretty tough
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:09 am

Jonny wrote:
JAK wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Exactly. I’d like to have private for a doe hunt or two, and something for my kids if I ever have any.

My buddy has private I can hunt whenever but just don’t cause of time constraints. He hunts once or twice a year and always shoots a doe or small buck for me if I don’t make it up by him. Keeps it unpressured and always has deer around.

My biggest issue right now is the public I bowhunt is very low density and honestly it gets old when you don’t see deer, and can’t find sign anywhere. I’m not a mature buck hunter like many here so it gets old fast, especially with 8 hours of driving each weekend to get there.

Hunted a piece of public this weekend that is really a bad property in a great area. We both saw deer going in blind. That just shows we at least have a clue on what we are doing. I won’t ever say public is too hard or you need to be on private to shoot deer. But man some public, especially big woods gets pretty tough

Yea I also have been a little frustrated this year going into spots I think I should see deer and not really see anything even my private I haven't seen anything on.. I can feel ur pain :o
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:31 am

JAK wrote:
Jonny wrote:
JAK wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Yea I also have been a little frustrated this year going into spots I think I should see deer and not really see anything even my private I haven't seen anything on.. I can feel ur pain :o

Yep. Which is why I’m not really upset about missing 3 weekends of bow hunting. Would rather sacrifice the time now than later when I have the opportunities to hunt better areas
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:10 pm

I have hunted various types of public ground over the years anything from golf courses to county fair grounds. But this is the first season I have stepped foot on a WMA, and I got to say it's dealing with a completely different class of idiots. In the few trips I have made out there this season I saw tatics and strategies I would never suspect to find in any type of hunting. Seen hunters who don't even wear carbon suits and still disregard the wind, stands placement that had me scratching my head, stalking tatics that sounded like a herd of elephants. With all this going on Its a whole new ballgame, but for some odd reason I've been drawn to it of late, maybe it's just to prove to myself I can, or maybe I just have such a good time watching these other hunters I dunno. Having spent zero hours scouting this property my hopes are not high and I will still continue to hunt some much less disturbed spots. But i will be back to rub elbows with the locals and try to find a area with no human activity.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:18 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I have hunted various types of public ground over the years anything from golf courses to county fair grounds. But this is the first season I have stepped foot on a WMA, and I got to say it's dealing with a completely different class of idiots. In the few trips I have made out there this season I saw tatics and strategies I would never suspect to find in any type of hunting. Seen hunters who don't even wear carbon suits and still disregard the wind, stands placement that had me scratching my head, stalking tatics that sounded like a herd of elephants. With all this going on Its a whole new ballgame, but for some odd reason I've been drawn to it of late, maybe it's just to prove to myself I can, or maybe I just have such a good time watching these other hunters I dunno. Having spent zero hours scouting this property my hopes are not high and I will still continue to hunt some much less disturbed spots. But i will be back to rub elbows with the locals and try to find a area with no human activity.

LOL! That's what I expect when hunting public land - WMAs and national forests down here.

I made the commitment to go into the biggest block of woods, scouted 1 day and feel completely overwhelmed. Swirling winds, orange & pink flagging, yet only 1 old ladder stand near where the deer sign is telling me to go. The stand is watching an "open" area where you can see about 75 yards. The rub lines are in the thicker stuff where you can see 50-75 feet. I've got 4 possible stand locations, just hope the N winds don't swirl.

Need to spend some time in there and start figuring it out. Considering my hunts this weekend as observation sits...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”