Favorite public land logged to heck and back

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Favorite public land logged to heck and back

Unread postby bowmike » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:02 am

Guys,

I haven't been able to get on much this past off season because of my job and fly tying business going nuts, but wanted to get some insight on something.

My favorite place to hunt is pretty much logged to heck and back. I am doubting that the deer left totally. I know there are quite a few nice bucks in the area. Any suggestions on how to hunt this? Lack of time has me without even knowing if Ill have any trees to climb. LOL This would be the first fall on most of these areas that that the deer have had with this type of terrain change.

Any insight would be appreciated.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Redman232

Re: Favorite public land logged to heck and back

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:09 am

I'm assuming you mean essentially clear cut?

Negative Perspective:Without time for regrowth some of the deer may have to relocate.

Positive Perspective:Less places to hide for the deer that remain.

I'd either take the opportunity to learn other properties better, I try to figure out how the changes have effected the deer a little more each hunt.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:54 am

In sure they did it so it'll grow up thick. I see that a lot in our area.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:08 am

A select cut where they leave the tops and lots of undergrowth, there will be herds of deer in there. A barren wasteland you'll want to figure out where the deer moved to. Likely somewhere in between, read the sign and adjust accordingly.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:08 am

They left all kinds of stuff laying around. Pretty much every tree 14" or bigger was taken. I have a lot of other areas to hunt, but I know there were some real good bucks in there. They continued logging all year since last fall. I am wondering how the deer act with the continuous active logging going on. I am assuming most oaks that were big enough have a sufficient amount of acorns have been taken. I am thinking of talking to the loggers to see where they are planning to hit next, then try to stay ahead of them if possible. I may be able to get into one of the few areas that still have oak?

I have a nice little pocket that was not logged that I have killed deer in before that I may put a camera in this evening if I can find the time. There are still oaks there for sure.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:44 am

I have lost so many great hunting spots to logging in northern WI. It's pretty heartbreaking to drive 4 hours excited to hunt a particuar spot and when arriving see a clear cut as far as you can see. :doh:

The first few years are tough since the deer relocate but it doesn't take long for thick stuff to fill in and create not only a good food source but also bedding. Seems like the third year is when it starts getting good again but you will have to completely change how you hunt it especially if all the larger trees are gone. Ground hunting can be very good once you figure out how the deer are using it.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:57 am

bowmike wrote:They left all kinds of stuff laying around. Pretty much every tree 14" or bigger was taken. I have a lot of other areas to hunt, but I know there were some real good bucks in there. They continued logging all year since last fall. I am wondering how the deer act with the continuous active logging going on. I am assuming most oaks that were big enough have a sufficient amount of acorns have been taken. I am thinking of talking to the loggers to see where they are planning to hit next, then try to stay ahead of them if possible. I may be able to get into one of the few areas that still have oak?

I have a nice little pocket that was not logged that I have killed deer in before that I may put a camera in this evening if I can find the time. There are still oaks there for sure.

Logging is great since it puts food on the ground. I know a couple loggers who have seen deer walk right behind his machines feeding, and even some big bucks.

As far as asking the loggers where they are going next, all of that is public info. Public land has to put out bids for public notice and they always have maps of what is going to get logged. I know by me they put out bids 2-3 times per year and I have seen as many as 10 different companies win bids for any given period of bids.

After watching for a year, you learn that there are places they simply can't log. Either due to a lack of feasibility or legally they can't touch some areas. That's where I like to go scout and hunt. (100 year flood plain and islands in the swamp)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 am

Yeah its very sad my best spot was logged last year was trying not too tear up when I saw it logged.

It messed my season up a bit.

The bad news is it will be years before a trees big enough to put a setup in.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”