Inflatable Boats

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Inflatable Boats

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:11 am

Not talking about the Zodiak type boats that I know some guys use on here. The one's I'm referring to are smaller and cheaper. Something like this retails for 119.99, although you can find it cheaper.

http://www.sevylor.com/Fish-Huntertrade-3-Person-Boat-P2029C40.aspx
3.jpg

You can put a 2hp motor or electric trolling motor, or simply use oars. What I like about it is that you can pack it in the trunk of a car for all of us who don't have trucks or trailers, then inflate it in the parking lot using a pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? I would mostly be using it in areas with small rivers/streams/marshy areas/ponds. Assuming there's no current strong enough that I couldn't paddle against it.

BTW, you can also get some versions much cheaper. This one is only $21.95 "buy it now" on eBay with free shipping.
34.jpg

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Inflatable Boats

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:26 am

I don't think I'd risk my life in icy november water in one of those. Especially the orange one.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:54 am

I'm thinking the same as you B15, but I can afford to get something a little higher quality.

What about sea eagle Spysar? I was searching around a month or so ago and saw them on sale for like $700 for a 5' x 9'. They were "claw hammer" proof and came with a 3 year warranty. Also read about plywood bottoms or some type of inflatable "hard" bottom. Wondering what that's all about (?) I'm pretty serious about doing this, I got 1 spot already that I can justify getting a boat for and I know I'll collect many more once I get going. I've got a 14' wide bottom canoe but it doesn't work for the midsized creeks that have tons of blowdowns across. I think an inflatable would be great, I've got a 6' x 8' flatbed trailer and I could just haul the boat around on that cause most of my hunting would be within an hour of the house.

So Spy, if you were to get a new inflatable knowing all that you know now, what would you get?
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:05 pm

I would go with a sturdy 10-ft kayak then get one of the cheapy "orange" inflatables to have in the trunk, just in case I killed a buck then I could kayak back out and inflate and tow the inflatable behind the kayak to get my critter out. I hate being cold and definitely would hate falling in an icy November river to boot!

A cheaper plastic or aluminum canoe may be the best bet with a car-top rack to tie to.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Looks pretty sketchy to me. Have you considered a lighter canoe? I think it would actually be a lot easier to take in and out than the raft.
Other Cons: Punctures, inflate/deflate time, storing and transporting wet raft, harder to paddle, probably blows pretty bad in wind.
I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but the only pro I really see is the price.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:06 pm

Don't forget your life jacket!! :shock:
Yeah I agree with the other guys. A kayak or small canoe would be much safer. One poke with a stick and you will go down like the Titanic.
That's just me though since I can't swim very well but I do sink really good. :lol:
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:42 pm

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... 26.2672651
I have this canoe. I bought some foam pads and strap it to the top of my car. It is a little small to fit a deer, gear and yourself in, but I think I could make it work. It weighs 43 ilbs. If you had a 2 person canoe by yourself, you could sit in the front seat facing backwards. The metal ones are really light.

Don't forget the price of a motor for the inflatable. Canoe will paddle easier than boat will row.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Main thing that's keeping me from getting a small canoe or kayak is that I would have no place to put it. I live in a small apartment.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:24 pm

I've been in kayaks,and canoes. They're both too tippy for deer hunting. If your in a calm pond, they might work. I've been on good sized rivers and lakes on my zodiak. The Missouri, the Hudson and the Des Moines rivers. The zodiak is stable. I've had a deer and a friend plus myself all in the same zodiak....I still think this is the best choice.

For those who want a boat, what type of water do you plan to be in?

Here's me and my buddies zodiaks totally loaded with gear and bucks.

This picture shows my big orange life jacket I always use.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:55 am

When me and Carol were tubing last summer I saw 2 different "cheap" rubber rafts that were abandoned with tears in them... I would consider buying a quality one. You could die pretty quick of hypothermia if you take a dunk in November or get stranded across water.
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:02 am

Shallow backwaters with cattails and sloughs, small rivers with blowdowns and bigger rivers. I wouldn't need anyting to go thru raging currents, more like the mississippi runs, fairly slow. See one of the boats has an el troller, do you get enough juice out of these to go upstream? Think el troller would be best but wonder if they have enough power (?) Thanks Spy,
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:13 am

I can see now that this is probably something I will want to save my money up for and get something nice, like the zodiak. Which means I might not be able to buy one in the near future, but safety is also pretty important to me. When I was doing some scouting after my hunt was done yesterday, I broke through ice in a cedar swamp and went knee deep filling up my boot with cold swamp water. By the time I got back to my gear 75 yards away, my foot was already completely numb. Luckily I had a dry pair of wool socks and extra pack boots I brought along and changed into, making the 45 minute walk back to the truck bearable. I wouldn't like to see what would happen if my whole body took a dunk.
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:28 am

I can see now that this is probably something I will want to save my money up for and get something nice, like the zodiak.
This is probably a good bet for ya, considering all the swamping you do B15. I used to try and go cheap but you end up wasting a bunch of money on junk. Do wonder about finding something used tho. I'm sure there's the perfect boat sitting in somoenes garage that you could get for a song and a dance, just a matter of finding it.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:29 am

3dog wrote:
I can see now that this is probably something I will want to save my money up for and get something nice, like the zodiak.
This is probably a good bet for ya, considering all the swamping you do B15. I used to try and go cheap but you end up wasting a bunch of money on junk. Do wonder about finding something used tho. I'm sure there's the perfect boat sitting in somoenes garage that you could get for a song and a dance, just a matter of finding it.

My friend bought the zodiak I use at an auction for $25!!! :shock: As soon as I seen it, I had to have it. I quickly envisioned myself getting to buck lands by water. I traded him a tuna fishing trip for the boat.(there was a $1500 reciept in the boat bag for the boat which was only a year old)

And when my friends seen mine, they both got one on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks... :mrgreen:
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:32 am

3dog wrote:

Shallow backwaters with cattails and sloughs, small rivers with blowdowns and bigger rivers. I wouldn't need anyting to go thru raging currents, more like the mississippi runs, fairly slow. See one of the boats has an el troller, do you get enough juice out of these to go upstream? Think el troller would be best but wonder if they have enough power (?) Thanks Spy,

The trolling motor was a no go. I wound up towing the trolling motored one. Since these pics we have upgraded our motors. It's totally worth the investment once you get one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”