Stand Approach

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dv1

Re: Stand Approach

Unread postby dv1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:36 am

headgear wrote:Good tip SB, this place is a gold mine for hunting tips and keeping a book is a great idea.

Just to keep on topic, one of my favorite "beast" stand approachs I park the truck 250 to 300 yards from the bucks bed. However I have a 1.1 mile walk to setup 100 yards away from him on the back side. Its a lot of work but it the only way to hunt the bed without getting busted.

That's dedication and a great idea, hope it pays off for you.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:32 am

dv1 wrote:
headgear wrote:Good tip SB, this place is a gold mine for hunting tips and keeping a book is a great idea.

Just to keep on topic, one of my favorite "beast" stand approachs I park the truck 250 to 300 yards from the bucks bed. However I have a 1.1 mile walk to setup 100 yards away from him on the back side. Its a lot of work but it the only way to hunt the bed without getting busted.

That's dedication and a great idea, hope it pays off for you.

agreed, that is dedication and hard work... as well as what it takes to stay in the game! 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:34 am

dan wrote:
In a lot of cases, mature bucks will set up to watch your entrances to the woods. If you enter somewhere where he can see or smell you, the game is over before you even get to the tree.

Good stuff Dan- I have watched many does set up to watch entrances to the woods as well.

One doe with fawns I recall bedded in hill country watching the bottom of a valley where hunters would walk in from the road. She could watch hunters coming in for nearly a mile. All she had to do was get up and slip over the back of the big hill.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:57 pm

One of the public pieces I spend the majority of my time at is approx 6900 acres. The access somewhat one sided so what I tend to do is take the long way around and try to access from the bottom of the ridge and walk up whenever possible. I cut across ridges that aren't right for bedding deer that day based on the wind and leeward side concept to access the prime ridge for that day. Last year one of the deer I killed was where I went in somewhat blind with that approach. Next day when I retrieved my buck and was trailing the deer I found two treestands in the area. It surprised me that someone was that far back hunting but I also believe that the guys hunting those stands were probably taking the easy way in on that ridge and alerting any deer that were there.

Dan mentioned walking in on the shooting lane. I do this whenever it is necessary to cross a trail or area where I expect a deer to come though. Also if my approach is from upwind because of no choice, for example hunting a deep cut and approaching from the top I walk as far away as possible and then walk directly upwind of the cut so my wind is blowing straight ahead into the cut and not left or right. Not the ideal approach but sometimes on public I have no other choice.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:56 am

tons of great posts on here about stand approach and what a critical component of success it is. tomorrow i will be hunting the heavy pressure public, an overlooked but also somewhat remote spot. I was thinking about this, and how being in high pressure areas can alter my stand approach. The basics are obvious, wind direction versus the buck bedding areas, etc. but in high pressure areas my stand approach needs to be as invisible as possible. I will be dropped off, no one will be seeing my parked truck. When walking any woods roads or trails to get closer to my hunting area, I will not be leaving visible tracks anywhere. I will be walking in cover / leaves and strive to make sure there are no visible tracks from me... because of other hunters.

when i approach my stand, there will be no reflective tacks or ribbons- might as well put a sign up if i do. my point is that in these high pressure areas my stand approach will take into account other hunters just as importantly as it will my target buck(s). anyone else go to these protective measures?

dune buggies, quadrunners, bait piles and bowhunters all along trails and woods roads... gotta love the public!
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:33 am

The entry is of course important to not get detected, seen or winded. But I'm tight to the bedding and I might be working 3 sets around it, so my exit is important. Also these public land sanctuaries, I'm not just thinking about this season but preserving the area for seasons to come. If I'm not killing them I don't want to disturb them otherwise. I want them feeling safe and sound and for them to stay right there.

That said, when I'm trying to find the buck bedding on a new property, I'm pretty brutal, I'll step on them if that's what it takes. But once found while I hunt real tight, I'm always thinking minimize the footprint, minimize the impact.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:56 am

As important as ever for the 2015 season...
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:06 pm

This is a great, great thread. I feel like there are certain threads I've read 3 or 4 or 5 times (especially this time of year when the itch is... inflamed?) and they never get old or fail to teach me something.

Not sure if this is weird or maybe just seems lazy, but would anyone be wiling to share their HB Highlights file? i've read through a lot, and definitely covered the 'best threads' in the sticky, but I've only copied a handful of obviously key pieces of information. Sometimes it's hard to uncover old 'gems' of threads unless they're bumped or sticky'd, and even if they're bumped it ends up being a right time, right place thing.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:09 am

BuckyHunter13 wrote:This is a great, great thread. I feel like there are certain threads I've read 3 or 4 or 5 times (especially this time of year when the itch is... inflamed?) and they never get old or fail to teach me something.

Not sure if this is weird or maybe just seems lazy, but would anyone be wiling to share their HB Highlights file? i've read through a lot, and definitely covered the 'best threads' in the sticky, but I've only copied a handful of obviously key pieces of information. Sometimes it's hard to uncover old 'gems' of threads unless they're bumped or sticky'd, and even if they're bumped it ends up being a right time, right place thing.

If you haven't seen it, the all time best tactical threads are a sticky in the Deer Hunting Section. There are still a bunch of other great threads too, the search function can get you to a bunch of preferred threads when you are looking for particular topics of interest.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:16 am

The all time best is the thread I was referring to having read through, I just couldn't think of the name. I've read most of not all. I always just wonder if there's stuff I'm missing that I wouldn't even know I am.

BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:08 am

It's probably a better "exercise" to make one on my own anyhow. I just never think to copy things over to the one I've started, and the idea of formatting it in an organized way is a turn-off.

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:05 am

Great thread
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:59 am

My best hunts and stands were because I entered them correctly. It is very easy to go to fast in the dark and make noise. This year I will be making my entry routes my top priority. I agree so much that we go so fast in our day to day life we forget to slowdown in the woods. On many occasions I have cost myself bucks because of my impatience and not taking my entry routes as serious as I should have. Great thread guys .
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:10 am

Good stuff thanx for the bump SB!!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:55 am

Do you all use the same level of stealth when sitting a rut stand where you know it's a great location but no eyes on a specific buck moving through?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”