crossing water

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_Ryder

crossing water

Unread postby MN_Ryder » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Been out scouting with snowshoes & found some real good rubs & plenty of sign on islands in a large public marsh. The problem is that there is canal-like water that needs to be crossed before going through cattails & brush to get to these areas. The water & muck combined is at times likely going to be deeper than hipboots or waders. No access for canoe unless I portage nearly half mile through the woods (and probably disrupt hunters that don't cross into the marsh). Any ideas on how to cross this canal-like water with bow & tree stand during hunting season? Or how to get a downed deer across this water? Appreciate your help!

Henry
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: crossing water

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:53 pm

How wide? Could you rig a cable system & pull yourself across? How about waders & a inter tube with hand pump.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:02 pm

If its the only route, I recommend a belly boat. Relatively light when strapped to a stand. It use to be my go to method for crossing deep water when I hunted the marsh hard in the late-90s.

Otherwise, to minimize bulk I recommend stripping down and crossing. No waders, no nothing. It works!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:19 pm

In spring try to lay a 2x12 or something similar across the bottom of the creek...so you don't sink in the muck. Mark it somehow so just you know about it and then use your hip boots to get across. It may or may not work but it's worth a shot.
Use your inginuitity regarding how you're keeping it on the bottom.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:00 pm

I have used everything form boats to boots to garbage bags. I made a 2'x8' bridge once. I have dropped trees. I have crossed water on a rope. You do what ever it takes to get where you need to be.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:21 pm

scour your aerials for evidence of a small beaver dam somewhere along the canals. This has helped me more than once.
MN_Ryder

Unread postby MN_Ryder » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:13 am

Water is about 15 yds wide, low land on both sides. I could take a route a long way around the canal to get to the islands but would be pretty noisy & difficult slugging through reeds & muck and deer would probably scent me. I'm liking the belly boat idea, could use this fly fishing this Spring too! I have some photos of the rubs & beds but haven't figured out how to post them. Thanks for the ideas, can't wait to get back out there & scout some more! :D
Henry
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:39 am

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”