Where do you begin??

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Darion

Where do you begin??

Unread postby Darion » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:14 am

This is my first time posting on this forum, or any forum for that matter. I just learned in September about this site and Dan Infalt and I am glad I did. Also would like to say before I ask my question that I recently bought the DVD ' Hunting Marsh Bucks' and thought it was great, and very informative. Thank you! O.K. so I need some advise, this season has been my first time ever hunting public land in Indiana, and I have learned alot so far from you guys here and also from just being in the woods. My first day in the woods I had 5 bucks come under my stand at 15 yards, only one shooter however, and he caught me flat footed.... I did not have the bow in my hands. That first day I registered I looked through the list and went to an area that had the least guys signing up to hunt it, and surprise, surprise it is all swamp, cattails and thick brush. I am overwhelmed with the amount of ground there is to hunt and I live an hour away. So what can I do for the rest of this season to hopefully find the mature bucks? I have learned from watching the videos and reading on this site what I need to do for next year and after, but without any real scouting done this year am I just gonna have to be content with enjoying my time in the woods, or is there a strategy that I can use to give me confidence when I go out. Coming up in December I will have two weeks vacation from work and i'm excited to be able to hunt that much, so far it has been only weekends. By the way I saw deer everyday until gun season started and then nothing, but I still find fresh rubs and tracks. Thanks for your help.

Edcyclopedia

Re: Where do you begin??

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:35 am

1st off WELCOME.
You are in good company here with some great hunters offering good tips.

Swamps and the access in swamps tends to limit other hunters intrusions - less pressure hopefully means better hunting grounds for you...
I think you'll find a lot of help here and spring time scouting will be advantageous for next year.
A great asset here is if you post a map in the scouting section Dan or others offer their advice - helps speed up the learning curve.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:41 am

Welcome to the BEAST! :clap: :dance:

The video you purchased will be informative each time you watch it, and watching it over and over will help.

As for what you can do this year... my advice would be to find areas on a map you would like to possibly hunt.
Scout with a stand on your back. Go through the woods, just as you would if you were hunting, very slow and quiet. Looks for any big buck sign, especially the fresh sign. You still have plenty of hunting time left this season....when you come across fresh sign, stop and hunt it!

The worse case scenario is you will gather a lot of current intel for future hunts
Darion

Unread postby Darion » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:28 am

Thank you for the feedback. That is good advice, and I am looking for a map that I can post.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Welcome to the BEAST! 8-)
Post a map and we will try and point out some good spots for this year.

Another good option is to guess on bedding and scout with stand on your back and set up when you find good sign. Someplace new each day.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:49 pm

Welcome! 8-)
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Welcome!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Darion

Unread postby Darion » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:45 pm

O.k. so I am trying to figure out how to post a map.. I have done most of my scouting so far with google maps and GIS maps for the county I'm hunting, but I have not figured out how to download anything let alone post it here...
I wanted to add that I have used the tactics I have learned so far this year with good results, no kills yet but seeing bucks, and finding beds, and I am hunting new places each time. My issue is that I bought an Ol' Man climber before I learned about your tactics and it will only hug a 9" inch tree, next year I'll have a hang on and sticks. Thanks again I am glad that I finally found a group of 'real' hunters out there.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:01 pm

Darion wrote:O.k. so I am trying to figure out how to post a map.. I have done most of my scouting so far with google maps and GIS maps for the county I'm hunting, but I have not figured out how to download anything let alone post it here...

You may have gotten a welcome message from Carol when you joined the BEAST.
I know most of the time, that welcome message also has instructions on posting pictures etc on the website.

You have to save your image "or map" in a photobucket account then copy the URL link from photobucket, and paste that link on your post. You can also load the image to the Beast albums too if you don't have a photobucket account
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:02 pm

welcome!
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:43 am

Welcome, I hunt public across N. Indiana also. Getting a lock on and climbing sticks will help you out, there are alot of crooked willows in the swamps around here that climbers won't work on. I've noticed as the pressure from gun season kicks in around here you find more and more sign and deer when you hunt the marshes. Good luck.
Darion

Unread postby Darion » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:30 am

Redman232 wrote:Welcome, I hunt public across N. Indiana also. Getting a lock on and climbing sticks will help you out, there are alot of crooked willows in the swamps around here that climbers won't work on. I've noticed as the pressure from gun season kicks in around here you find more and more sign and deer when you hunt the marshes. Good luck.

Thanks..

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”