what now

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lostinstateforest

what now

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:44 am

I scouted hard all season and killed a much younger buck than I intended to but hey I got excited. Anyways the last day of season I saw an absolute monster dogging a doe. Assuming he makes it through rifle season how the heck can I find him? I scouted hard all year, ran cams all summer, studied maps etc etc etc. I had never laid eyes on this deer or one even close to this caliber. What do I do between now and next year to figure out his habits? Shinning is not an option as he in 2 miles back on public land. My plan is to haul feed and supplements back during the winter and hanging some black flash cams. I have had some luck with this due to limited food sources in the winter. Walk everytime there is snow on... what else help me

[ Post made via Android ] Image

My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
lostinstateforest

Re: what now

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:31 am

TTT

~ Dr. John Goetsch
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:40 am

You're not hunting his core area if he was off the radar all year. Sounds like more scouting is in order.

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:01 am

Yep, if you never saw him on the cams he is not a local. He was on tour for girls. Assume he will make it through thre season cause he did many times already. Look for his sheds in the spring. They may be several miles away from where you saw him though. Feeding will only keep him near by in the rut next year cause does will come in and eat. Where was this?? It makes a difference. In the big woods big bucks travel 20 miles, no doubt.
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:04 am

ihookem wrote:Yep, if you never saw him on the cams he is not a local. He was on tour for girls. Assume he will make it through thre season cause he did many times already. Look for his sheds in the spring. They may be several miles away from where you saw him though. Feeding will only keep him near by in the rut next year cause does will come in and eat. Where was this?? It makes a difference. In the big woods big bucks travel 20 miles, no doubt.

Definitely what I consider big woods. It was state forest in sw PA. Nothing but mountain laurel and oaks. I am 100% certain there are mature deer in this section. I have seen so many large deer in rifle season and the rut over the years yet they are never harvested.

I just can't put my finger in what I am missing. I run black flash cams only. I never put them close enough to where I hunt to even expect daytime pics. I run them from April to September and I am not getting pictures of mature deer, never check earlier than a month and bears at every camera! Plenty of does and enough little bucks to tell me I am doing something wrong. This area has recently changed in the sense of predator pressure. They have started releasing bear here the last few years. Maybe that has changed something.

~ Dr. John Goetsch
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:05 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:You're not hunting his core area if he was off the radar all year. Sounds like more scouting is in order.

I agree 100% but with the vastness of this area I can't figure the daggone mature deer core area out

~ Dr. John Goetsch
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:59 am

lostinstateforest wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:You're not hunting his core area if he was off the radar all year. Sounds like more scouting is in order.

I agree 100% but with the vastness of this area I can't figure the daggone mature deer core area out

Track one in the snow.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:51 am

You need to find his tracks. I agree tracking in the snow is an option. I would pour over more maps and hit the woods looking for his beds, staging area, rubs, tracks etc. gonna have to wear out some boots to find his core area....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:59 am

PLB wrote:You need to find his tracks. I agree tracking in the snow is an option. I would pour over more maps and hit the woods looking for his beds, staging area, rubs, tracks etc. gonna have to wear out some boots to find his core area....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Cams will be back out in December. I will walk that entire dang mountain again if I have too.
As happy as I was to see him, it made me sick at the same time that I was clueless to his presence. It reaffirms that I have a lot of beast work to do.

~ Dr. John Goetsch

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”