Other "hunters" moving in.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Other "hunters" moving in.

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:54 pm

So I have a problem on the public spots near home. I scout hard, find spots that seem to have little to no pressure. But once I start hunting them, the same three guys mysteriously show up in the same areas. I'm not talking within a few hundred yards, but sometimes within twenty yards. I don't tell anyone where these spots are, I don't mark trails (all GPS). I am ging to start being dropped off and borrowing vehicles to hunt these spots. Does this happen to anyone else on a regular basis?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Other "hunters" moving in.

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Sounds fishy, good plan they may be following you around.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Yes, yes, yes. Drop off or misdirection via long walk is the only way to go.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Are you a local deer hunting celebrity? I have only run into hardcore hunters in the public I crawl into... most are smart enuf to know that sitting close to each other wrecks it for both of us. I say look for harder to access spots... public is public. No one owns a spot or deer... it can be frustrating at times, but the freedom to roam and hunt any legal game is what makes it enjoyable and rewarding to me. Good luck

I have an uncle that thinks he owns every public chunk he hunts and it drives me nutz!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Bucky wrote:Are you a local deer hunting celebrity? I have only run into hardcore hunters in the public I crawl into... most are smart enuf to know that sitting close to each other wrecks it for both of us. I say look for harder to access spots... public is public. No one owns a spot or deer... [glow=red]it can be frustrating at times[/glow], but the freedom to roam and hunt any legal game is what makes it enjoyable and rewarding to me. Good luck

I have an uncle that thinks he owns every public chunk he hunts and it drives me nutz!

1.5 miles into the hollow...enough to gouge your eyes out!
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:37 am

There is a guy down here who hunts public land also. When other people move in on his area especially start parking near him, he sprinkles tide powdered laundry detergent all over. He moves on to another location. But as these others hunters leave the parking lot they leave a trail which definitely runs the deer away.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:02 am

wmahunter wrote:There is a guy down here who hunts public land also. When other people move in on his area especially start parking near him, he sprinkles tide powdered laundry detergent all over. He moves on to another location. But as these others hunters leave the parking lot they leave a trail which definitely runs the deer away.

Wow. That is nuts. I'm glad I haven't run into that guy.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:41 am

Yes, this has happened to me and buddies. I hunt N MN muzzy season, however my buddies I hunt with also hunt the rifle season. Where we register our deer at a local watering hole the locals have caught on that we are bringing nice bucks in every year for the last 12+ years. So they have started to follow our trucks and have even followed us in to stand locations when we have snow, mile plus back.... We then have seen them come in and hunt within yards of our stands. So yes there are people that are lazy that do ride the coat tails of the ones that do scout hard....
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:30 am

Bucky wrote:Are you a local deer hunting celebrity? I have only run into hardcore hunters in the public I crawl into... most are smart enuf to know that sitting close to each other wrecks it for both of us. I say look for harder to access spots... public is public. No one owns a spot or deer... it can be frustrating at times, but the freedom to roam and hunt any legal game is what makes it enjoyable and rewarding to me. Good luck

Far from an expert or celebrity, and a couple of these spots are over a mile hike one way. I also don't think I own the spots, but when it happens year after year, different spots, same guys, something is fishy.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:45 am

Rutnstrut wrote:
Bucky wrote:Are you a local deer hunting celebrity? I have only run into hardcore hunters in the public I crawl into... most are smart enuf to know that sitting close to each other wrecks it for both of us. I say look for harder to access spots... public is public. No one owns a spot or deer... it can be frustrating at times, but the freedom to roam and hunt any legal game is what makes it enjoyable and rewarding to me. Good luck

Far from an expert or celebrity, and a couple of these spots are over a mile hike one way. I also don't think I own the spots, but when it happens year after year, different spots, same guys, something is fishy.

In that case I think I would talk to the guy and see what the deal is....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:49 am

Probably another beast member. :-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:58 am

GRUD wrote:Probably another beast member. :-)

:lol:
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:40 am

Is his name Dan?!?! Sounds like
GRUD wrote:Probably another beast member. :-)

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:29 am

I doubt they are beast members, these three wouldn't make one good idiot.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:46 am

Rutnstrut wrote:I doubt they are beast members, these three wouldn't make one good idiot.

:lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”