? on a late season hunt

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

? on a late season hunt

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:28 am

I have a ? on a marsch I have a chance for 1 last late season hunt. I'm planning on waiting for a cold day with some snow. (may be during 1st week of Jan.) This marsh has a section with dikes to walk on, but what I have seen is that the deer have taken a liking to bedding in the grass/tags/cattails inside the dikes, (the water is low this year, normaly it is 8ft or deep, so I should be able to get across). My basic idea is to use this as a scouting session for next year, but hoping to possibly get a chance to pick one off. Dosn't need to be a buck, but would be nice. My general thoughts are to walk the dykes, see if any tracks go into the center sections. If I get an idea that they are in that section, dive in with the wind in my face and see if I can put a sneak on those area. These sections are 1/4 to 1/3 mile squares. Before gun season, i seen a fair amount of deer coming out of these the one night i was in this spot. Any other input? I've gotten some good area photos to see where the trails go, and Have an idea of where they are going. Thanks for any insights.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: ? on a late season hunt

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:56 am

If your not seeing to much hunting pressure, I would wait for the deer to come out of the cattails (unless your gun hunting) Sit on the dike where trail goes in, and wait for him to come back out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”