light rain public deer

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

light rain public deer

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:55 am

I remembered a number of bucks and does I have shot during a light rain... a lot of you guys in Wisconsin got the rain yesterday that we are having in lower Michigan today... a light but steady rain that would leave you absolutely soaked if you were in a treestand today without rain gear (and even with rain gear, to a point).

After lunch, I decided to take a walk on some public land with my raincoat on and my trusty 10 X monocular in my pocket (dirt cheap, I might add... love those things when hunting in heavy cover too!). I travelled slowly in the rain, less than a hundred yards before seeing some horizontal brown in the distance. I put the 10X up to my eye, and spyed two mature does with a junior buck that were up and feeding without a care in the world. I watched them for about fifteen minutes before moving on. It rained continuously, and those deer were as relaxed as they could be.

I think they have learned that a light rain keeps predator numbers way down, regardless of the time of year. In deer season, they quickly learn that it keeps nearly all hunters out of the woods too. Here on the heavy pressure public land, they are constantly harassed by predators and humans all year long... when they encounter these wet conditions, they give feeding and travel a go sometimes.

Today was a good reminder for me to consider utilizing these conditions to my advantage when deer hunting, if possible. The wet treestands / steps in hunting season can be an increased danger, I will proceed with caution. 8-)

Anyone else care to share some success in the rain?

backstraps

Re: light rain public deer

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:10 am

Singing Bridge sounds like you had a good time.

About the only time I ever still hunt is during a light rain.
About 10 years ago I started a hike in search of some freezer fillers. As I was making my way towards an observation point I seen what I thought was a hind leg. So the stealth stalk was on. I finally made it within range waiting for the shot. Got a nice quartered away shot on her.

I took a half an hour thinking how fun that was. While tracking her I caught a glimpse of another deer walking up a trail towards me. She turned broadsided to munch some acorns....fast range in her...smooth release...double back leg death kick.

Light rain= free
Two mature does= lots of yummy protien
Memories= priceless

[ Post made via Android ] Image
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:25 am

So true. One of my favorite hunts to date was in the light rain. Early AM hunt was over so I decide to still hunt. Did a big loop to get the wind in my favor and then I slowly started working my way back. I soon spotted brown and it was pine tree to pine tree until I was literally 5 yards away from her, in back of a big pine. I drew back, and stepped out. Her head shot up and I could almost hear her say, "Where the...did he come from?!" And then she was gone. It was early in the season and I never released the arrow. It was enough just to bask in the thrill of a perfect stalk in the rain. And I've looked forward to those cold rainy days ever since ;) .
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:47 am

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I love hunting in a light rain but sometimes have my doubts on the ethics of it. Man, you better only take good close shots and, got them in the 12 ring!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:58 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I love hunting in a light rain but sometimes have my doubts on the ethics of it. Man, you better only take good close shots and, got them in the 12 ring!!

I too like a slight drizzle, I think it really gets all deer up on their feet, especially during the rut. I do not know if mature bucks move more in a rain, I imagine if they do its only a little ways or a little sooner in the day but any little bit helps. I also agree with the shooting though, it had better be perfect because tracking is never easy in rain regardless of how much blood you have. I really love it when its a slight drizzle to enter with, and then stops and stays cloudy, its seems most of my archery deer have come that way.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:58 pm

I have had some great hunts and killed a few deer in light rain or drizzle. It almost seems like the deer know less hunters will be out on a day like that and move around with relative ease. Deer movement and sightings is up for sure on those type of days. I love the fact that everyone is at home staying dry and I have the public land all to myself.

There is something about sitting on stand in a light rain that is very relaxing to me and I really enjoy it. Of course proper rain gear is a must to stay completely dry.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
SteveD

Unread postby SteveD » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Dewey,what's some good rain gear that you would recommend?Thanks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:02 pm

SteveD wrote:Dewey,what's some good rain gear that you would recommend?Thanks

This is what I have. Great quality, quiet, lightweight and very packable. Had them for 3 years now and am really pleased with them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing ... t104020380

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing ... t104021280

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:08 pm

SteveD wrote:Dewey,what's some good rain gear that you would recommend?Thanks

I really like Rivers West, they make good rain gear. Works well for outer shell on moderately cold days when layering.

Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:17 pm

I agree this...seems that days that its dark with a drizzle that bucks are on their feet later in the morning and moving earlier in the evening. Look forward to these conditions, when a front is coming, starting with light rain followed by snow. Seems every animal in the woods are on the move during those conditions.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:00 am

Like backstraps and NatureBoy pointed out, these conditions lend themselves very well to still hunting. I got within fairly close range of these deer today with little effort.

Brad Lamont wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I love hunting in a light rain but sometimes have my doubts on the ethics of it. Man, you better only take good close shots and, got them in the 12 ring!!

I too like a slight drizzle, I think it really gets all deer up on their feet, especially during the rut. I do not know if mature bucks move more in a rain, I imagine if they do its only a little ways or a little sooner in the day but any little bit helps. I also agree with the shooting though, it had better be perfect because tracking is never easy in rain regardless of how much blood you have. I really love it when its a slight drizzle to enter with, and then stops and stays cloudy, its seems most of my archery deer have come that way.

I anticipated that this would be brought up- the need for a very good shot in these types of conditions, and rightfully so. Where do you draw the line on it being too bad to consider taking a shot? Blood trails won't last long with a steady, light rain. For me, I am very confident that the buck will go down in short order when he presents me with access to both lungs. The conditions will hopefully have a very relaxed deer being surprised by my arrow. I've had quick and fairly easy recoveries in these conditions, often hearing the buck fall over dead. That being said, If I had any doubt in my mind whatsoever about the shot and a quick kill... it is time to do the right thing and pass the shot. I'm sure we have Beast hunters on here with some bad experiences in the rain.

Good stuff, y'all.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:22 am

I saw one of the biggest deer I've ever seen on stand in a light drizzle (more like a mist). I like hunting it it but you have to keep your eyes peeled CONSTANTLY, there is no chance your going to hear them. As far as shots go I am too hesitant about hunting in any heavier of a rain than a very light rain unless I think its going to stop and one point throughout my hunt. I would have a hard time taking a shot at a deer in a rainfall...that just doesn't make sense to me. The blood would be washed up pretty fast.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:36 am

Good stuff SB and Czabs!! The biggest buck I have ever layed eyes on was seen from my vehicle in 2008 as I pulled out of my spot in the morning to go back to the cabin. It was thundering, lightning and raining really really hard. It was pitch dark and my headlights lit him up crossing a county road. Just a freaking SLOB typical. I went back to the cabin, crawled into bed for an hour or so. Rain stopped but I knew there was another batch on my radar. I went back, crawled into my stand over an active primary scrape. I buttoned up all my raingear and the floodgates opened. Right berfore the rain started I saw a decent buck bed down about 100 yards away. These deer are just so smart when it comes to predicting weather it;s crazy!! Rained hard for an hour then it stopped and the wind picked up and the temp dropped. I watched the buck rise from his bed and work his way towards the primary scrape. I killed him at 18 yards....Not the buck I saw earlier that morning but I was happy nonthelesss!!
You can see my raingear in the picture :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
SteveD

Unread postby SteveD » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:56 am

Dewey,thanks for the info,appreciate it.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:42 am

Tadmdad wrote:I really like Rivers West, they make good rain gear. Works well for outer shell on moderately cold days when layering.

Same here, Rivers West is awesome... raind and wind proof, quiet, it stretches with movement... really good stuff. I use it hunting a lot in some pretty extreme environments in Canada.

very pricey though- its a good investment, but probably not for everyone.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”