Why do you hunt public land?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Why do you hunt public land?

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:36 pm

john1984 wrote:
Jonny wrote:
john1984 wrote:I hunt public because it's free and I don't have to bother asking permission. The few times I've asked for permission to deer hunt private I was turned down.

I have a ton of public land within 30 miles of my home.

Is it starting to come back yet? The group I know that hunts down there really struggled for a couple years, but haven't talked to them in awhile. Always loved that area. Endless land and just great looking habitat

Well the property I hunt within the CFZ I've noticed more tracks and have seen more does while driving around the past 3 years compared to 5 or 6 years ago, but I rarely see any bucks while driving around. I've never really explored much before 2011 because I didn't own a GPS and I assumed I had a better chance hunting my step dads back 40 in eastern Columbia county.

I'm probably a little bias because my 2 biggest public land bucks were taken inside the CFZ in 2015 and 2016. Those bucks were a fantasy come true for me.

Something has got to be making these deer tracks and numerous beds I find.

Maybe it does suck and I just don't know it. Deer hunting anywhere in general was never super easy for me.

I've been posting up my dad on the ground during gun season while I walk around and scout the past 3 seasons inside the CFZ and he has had multiple opportunities at does but no bucks, and they're is no doe tags available in the area we hunt.

There was a lot of shooting during thanksgiving weekend this past year, (deer drives) and it was ticking me off cuz I.knew they couldn't have been shooting at just bucks .

It's been tuff for me over there trying to.push. a buck by my dad during gun season. Really frustrating this past gun season even though I don't gun hunt anymore. I bumped 2 nice bucks and my dad never saw them.

I've never set foot on the Clark county forest, maybe it's a different story up there.

Clark county by me has gotten bad. I don't know about the southern part of the county, but up near the eau claire border, its getting rough. My group used to get 3-4 deer opening weekend every year, and usually 1-2 more later in the week and bow hunting. This year we only got 1 all year. There is so much public land and really not many hunters, so its easy to get away and find some deer. Getting a crack at them is the hard part

Its a great looking area over by you, and I have seen pictures and mounts of dandies that got shot out of there, but that was probably 20 years ago.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:32 am

I like the ability to roam and hunt entire deer movements. I could lease but it's hard to justify. I have 5 kids and need to plan for the future. I just wish better public land was closer to west Michigan. In my opinion there is very little good public land within 3 hours of me
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:43 am

I hunt public land because I like having the freedom and I like the challenge of breaking down a new area... I also like aggressive first time hunts. It's hard to hunt that way on the private lands I have access to.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:20 am

I like to explore :D
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:58 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Wondering what everyone's reasons are for hunting public land? It's a lot of work, the hassle with other people can be obnoxious at times and there's constantly pressure on the land it seems like. On the flip side I'm hunting awesome pieces of land I could never afford to own or lease, if I do my homework I can avoid the crowds, and once successful the feeling f accomplishment will be greater.

I'm sure there are some guys who prefer public land and some who don't have an option. Why do you guys hunt public land? I have to be honest it's nice not burning out my private land spots but I don't think I could hunt solely public land without going crazy. Seeing the piles of trash left behind by others is enough to drive me batty.

I do it because I like the challenge of going not only against the deer but other hunters as well.
Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:33 am

I hunt public because that's all I have really ever had a chance to hunt and learn on. I have had access to private in some spots but they never taught me anything, one was a 3 acre spot that I could climb one tree and another is a farm that's all field where the deer come out in the same spot every time so it limits you to on small corner of it. On public, I can actually hunt, not just go and sit in a tree and learn nothing new.
PLP

Unread postby PLP » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:34 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Wondering what everyone's reasons are for hunting public land? It's a lot of work, the hassle with other people can be obnoxious at times and there's constantly pressure on the land it seems like. On the flip side I'm hunting awesome pieces of land I could never afford to own or lease, if I do my homework I can avoid the crowds, and once successful the feeling f accomplishment will be greater.

I'm sure there are some guys who prefer public land and some who don't have an option. Why do you guys hunt public land? I have to be honest it's nice not burning out my private land spots but I don't think I could hunt solely public land without going crazy. Seeing the piles of trash left behind by others is enough to drive me batty.

I like learning new land.Challenging myself to see how quickly I can adapt and succeed.Plus I can basically hunt every single state.For every species.Id much rather earn tag soup than be given a free meal.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:21 am

Because I do not own a big chunk of land or have permission to hunt any big privat tracts. And with public I have thousands of acres of land to work with. The majority of die hard bow hunters won't even consider hunting public land because they believe there are no big deer on them which is far from the truth.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:01 am

I love the challenge plus you have much more land to work with. If you only hunted private what happens if you lose that land or if there is a big winterkill, EHD, CWD, etc. With public you can find another spot but if you only hunt a private piece then you may not have the season you were hoping for. Public offers much more vast opportunities plus you can experience new areas on the time and continue to grow as a hunter.
Newhunter
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621

Unread postby Newhunter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:22 pm

I hunt public land simply because I don't own any land and have never had the chance to hunt private land. I have offered to help work on a few farms in trade to have access to their property during the season, never had any luck with that either. Public land is better than no land. :dance:
I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:45 pm

I like having room to roam, access to hundreds of thousands of acres instead of being stuck on the same back 40 year after year. I like to hunt, not manage timber and farm food plots.

In Central PA here, the quality of bucks is often better, a lot of the private land gets hammered.

Because I refuse to participate in the deer lease craze.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Truth From The Stand
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TruthFromTheStand/

Unread postby Truth From The Stand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:41 pm

I hunt a combination of public and private. Truth be told, most of my best hunting happens on public land. Private still has it's place with me, more in terms of a family and heritage perspective. However, I have a firm "have bow, will travel" hunting policy—wherever and as often as I can.
Truth From The Stand Deer Hunting Podcast—http://truthfromthestand.com/

Facebook—https://www.facebook.com/TruthFromTheStand/
Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:40 am

I hunt public because that's all I have really ever had a chance to hunt and learn on. I have had access to private in some spots but they never taught me anything, one was a 3 acre spot that I could climb one tree and another is a farm that's all field where the deer come out in the same spot every time so it limits you to on small corner of it. On public, I can actually hunt, not just go and sit in a tree and learn nothing new.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 am

That is a question I've been asked so many times by guys who hunt public, private, and outfitters. I find myself to be a very prideful public land hunter. I don't believe all private is easy, I don't believe deer know the difference between private and public. What I do believe is they know survival, pressure, food, bedding, water, etc. I hunt public because it's a challenge. Not just me vs the deer, but also me vs the other hunters pursuing the same deer I maybe. How hard it is in my home state to find a worthy adversary, and the moment when he falls to my killing stroke. The drag that's tough as nails out, and the ones that aren't' so bad. How I can hunt with all my friends and family, or no one at all. The seeming endless acres that bucks can grow old in or quickly become someone's prize. The beauty of different lands, set ups, and the every evolving nature of well nature. The fact that I can go after and animal and actually hunt him, not just wait on him to pass by. The option to pursue more than one buck if I can find others worth my tag. The motivation I feel it takes and the mental fortitude to push yourself, think, and grind. I see public land hunting as the ultimate in the average joe's ability to showcase his skill as a hunter and his ability to adapt, but most importantly public allows me the chance to measure myself against myself, in the vastness of the unknown.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 am

Well put. Gonna sat it again! Welcome back!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”