Rut reports...........

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Rut reports...........

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:22 am

Not much stuff going on yet. A few scrapes have been made and refreshed but that has been going on for a good 10 days now. Looking forward to seeing more "buck sign" here shortly. The older bucks are moving here and there In day light hours. Trail cams been telling me that.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:32 am

Saw a 2.5 y/o moving around this morning + a little buck pushin a doe around. Damn wind switched and the 2.5 10 pt got my wind. I believe he was on the hill to check out bedded does b/c he walked right to a traditional doe bedding area on the hill and then 10 minutes later he was back off the hill...that's when he winded me. I'll be out the next two days...hopefully I see his daddy.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Saw 15 deer tonight. 4 of which were bucks (three 1.5's and one 4.5). Two of the 1.5's were chasing fools. The 4.5 was chasing too. I grunted at him to try bringing him to me. I figured It wouldn't work as he was hot on a doe. He stopped and looked In my direction and snort and wheezed. I did the same back but nothing came about It. Stuff Is starting to pick up out there.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Schultzy wrote:Saw 15 deer tonight. 4 of which were bucks (three 1.5's and one 4.5). Two of the 1.5's were chasing fools. The 4.5 was chasing too. I grunted at him to try bringing him to me. I figured It wouldn't work as he was hot on a doe. He stopped and looked In my direction and snort and wheezed. I did the same back but nothing came about It. Stuff Is starting to pick up out there.

good to hear. Sounds like an awesome hunt! I hunted until noon today and saw a bunch of dinks out smelling around and a few does. One nubby got excited over something and started running around in circles with his tail up...thought he got my wind but he eventually bedded 10 yards away for an hour. Finally a doe came by and he followed. saw a few scrapes and a couple rubs...nothing close to what it normally looks like when the rut kicks in.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:27 pm

NE, IL they still fighting today.
SEmnBowHunter
Facebook: Collin Slogmaster Giles

Unread postby SEmnBowHunter » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:34 am

Since the frost yesterday morning things have heated up big time seen 7 bucks 4 of which were shooters seen twenty doe and ended shooting 3 does and a good 10 pointer yesterday there starting to chase a little bit around me

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Traveled between Stevens point and sturgeon bay yesterday for school. Got back to Point then drove to Milwaukee. A handful of small bucks pasted on the road in that stretch they are definitely starting to move. So are the hunters though!!! Seemed like every dead end road that butted up to HWY 10 had a truck parked on it yesterday morning. All along little wood lots an ag fields. There are a handful of public spots in there too and there were trucks parked there as well. Deer movement should only get better but hunter pressure is getting crazy too!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Passed up a small 8pnt grunting and bird dogging a small doe. Might have been a fawn, wonder if her mom wasnt in heat with a different buck.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
patman

Unread postby patman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Heard loud grunting and chasing right at closing time. SW wis.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:45 pm

I had a decent little morning, got setup a good 1.5 hours before first light. The deer started moving into the bedding area a good hour before shooting light. I heard several grunts and a snort wheeze so I was pretty pumped up. A little after first light I heard more grunting and can see some chasing out in the thick stuff, a few flashes of a rack here and there. A little more chasing and grunting but nothing other than a spiker came in range. I suspect the larger buck was just a 2.5 pushing some does around so not what I wanted but nice to see a little action.

Didn't get out tonight, had my little girls 2nd bday party but back in the woods tomorrow. Possible snow on the menu so that would be sweet.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Saw some 1.5's cruising, chasing and fighting tonight in SE WI. Two were in shooting range. Fun night in the stand. I just need them to get bigger.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:36 pm

matt1336 wrote:Saw some 1.5's cruising, chasing and fighting tonight in SE WI. Two were in shooting range. Fun night in the stand. I just need them to get bigger.

That may take a few years...... :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Sat by a doe bedding area tonite. Seen a single big doe that I tought would have a date but no dice. Little while later a doe came out with her fawn. 10 minutes later another doe and 2 fawns. No bucks tonite, but still had fun. west central WI
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Had a 2.5 yr 8 point at 13 yds around 9:30 this morning, grunted him in from 75. Unfortunately he busted me before he stepped into my shooting lane. Saw a small six and a few does tonight. Had a good one comin from his bed in the swamp, but didnt make it in time was movin real slow. Good day, not much rutting activity. Did find 18 scrapes on an old overgrown loggin road this am. Some in use some not. Not sure if it would be worth tryin or not, never had luck with scrape hunting.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Nothing doing as far as rut in Kansas....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”