What do you all do In situations like this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Schultzy
500 Club

What do you all do In situations like this?

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:29 pm

Just speaking for myself I generally will not shoot 3.5 year old bucks unless they hit that 130"+ mark. I have always set my standards at 130 Inches. I've passed many bucks just under 130 Inches and some 3.5's that were In that 130 Inch range. I've also passed on 4.5's that were under the 130 Inch mark. Not to often In my woods do I see bucks bigger then this. Are they around my woods more then I think? I'm sure they are but It's a tough buck to come by In my area most years.

One can never be 100% sure on what they have for bucks roaming around but In time you get to know your area well. I've been thinking allot about this since I started scouting this year, It's kinda hard to kill what may not be there. I've been asking myself this question for a good month now, should I take the next best thing or hold out as I always do till the end of the year? For the life of me I can't come to a conclusion with this. It's not that I need to kill a buck every year. The thing Is I'm stubborn and there's probably also some pride being had being I never back out on what I say when I set a goal.

Question for you all. In situations like mine where you don't think the caliber of buck you want Is around, do you take the next best representative? Or do you hold out till the end like I've been doing for years?

ozzz

Re: What do you all do In situations like this?

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Well maybe there are bigger bicks running around and it is more than likely if you start passing those 130's you will have some 150's.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
PredatorTC
ProStaff

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Just my opinion at my point in the game buck I would take the next best thing around or the oldest around or that you can find. I dont think you can ever practice and learn enough for every deer you hunt. the more bucks you take, the more you learn, and the more ready you are when that B&C shows up.

The times I have learned the most are when I have one target buck and I aim for only that buck and I try to get in his head and think like him This is the fun part for me because every buck thinks different.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:39 pm

The times I have learned the most are when I have one target buck and I aim for only that buck and I try to get in his head and think like him This is the fun part for me because every buck thinks different.
Right on TC, right on!!
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:42 pm

I'd drive to SE MN for a few weekends. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I enjoy shooting mature bucks no matter what the rack size is so I'd likely shoot what is available.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:43 pm

ozzz wrote:Well maybe there are bigger bicks running around and it is more than likely if you start passing those 130's you will have some 150's.
I 100% agree with ya but age Isn't something all that common In my area. It's hard to do alone. Neighbors are trigger happy. ;)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Dor wrote:I'd drive to SE MN for a few weekends. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I enjoy shooting mature bucks no matter what the rack size is so I'd likely shoot what is available.
Damn you Chris! :naughty: It Isn't looking like I'm going to make that SE trip. Too much other crap came up last week.

Thanks for the reply. Was looking forward to your reply on this subject.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Dor wrote:I'd drive to SE MN for a few weekends. :mrgreen:

X2 I'd travel. It could change the whole ball game. Instead of hunting where bucks max out at 130" you could be hunting a place where they max potential at 170". If it's the area you love to hunt then stick with it and don't travel but lower your standards. That's what I have done (not lowering standards part they have never been too high when it comes to deer ;) ) but I have settled on my area understanding that big bucks rarely occur and are more or less part of my imagination. I have access to some great farm country in the SE part of WI but I just don't like hunting it as much as I do hunting "up north" so I settle for smaller deer but more enjoyable hunts. Good luck with whatever you make happen but I'm with Predator I'd shoot the next "good bucK" that comes along because passing them isn't working when the neighbors are taking them all. As PTC said he likes to learn one deer you could settle on a smaller deer and try to figure out/pattern that deer and kill that specific buck on his pattern. Would still be fun and rewarding but it would be the story of the hunt and the brain work to get it not so much in the way of antlers.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:17 pm

I always go with the mindset if it tickles me I'm happy. I don't like eight pointers but have a few on the wall. I never go into a season with a number in mind. Some years I'll pass a buck a few times and then take him later on. Last year I passed an 8 point 3 or 4 times then with about two days of season left I passed him at 10 yards, then thought about it and arrowed him at 30 yards (go figure). I never let myself get bummed about what I kill. I took a friend hunting last year he arrowed nice 145 11 point (picture provided). He was bummed to the max. I thought it was a heck of a nice buck. The buck is still in his freezer not going to mount it. I got frustrated for not understanding why he was bummed. You just can't let yourself get like that. You shoot it, be happy, my motto.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:49 pm

If you have hunted and observed for several years that 130" deer are not abundant on your property then I would shoot the best buck available on this property and work at locating properties with higher caliber deer if that is what you want. Any deer that you are satisfied taking is a trophy no matter what anyone says. Keep an eye on your buck to doe ratio and do your part to make sure little bucks have a chance to get older. If you hunt a high pressure area where guys are shooting a lot of 2 1/2 year old bucks or younger then without their cooperation this would be too high of a standard for yourself. You can't shoot 150" deer by shooting the 130" deer BUT after several years of observation you know that quality of animals on your property and you alone can make the decision to lower your standard and still feel satisfied with the decision knowing that you are hunting the best bucks on the property.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Simple with all the stress people have now a days with jobs long hours etc. Don't bring this into the woods on yourself, when the moment hits you shoot the buck in front of you. Who cares what it scores, it's the hunt itself that tells me when to shoot or not. Some nights I should have shot a certain deer and did not and some nights I have shot a deer I thought I would have passed, let the moment tell you.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:14 am

Beauford wrote:Simple with all the stress people have now a days with jobs long hours etc. Don't bring this into the woods on yourself, when the moment hits you shoot the buck in front of you. Who cares what it scores, it's the hunt itself that tells me when to shoot or not. Some nights I should have shot a certain deer and did not and some nights I have shot a deer I thought I would have passed, let the moment tell you.

Well stated!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:26 am

Indianahunter wrote:You can't shoot 150" deer by shooting the 130" deer BUT after several years of observation you know that quality of animals on your property and you alone can make the decision to lower your standard and still feel satisfied with the decision knowing that you are hunting the best bucks on the property.

I strongly agree with this statement
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:01 am

I will wait for what I want to shoot for the area I am hunting.

Shooting a buck that I dont want does not work for me.

Different expectations for different areas........
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
jigglestick

Unread postby jigglestick » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:28 am

Schultzy, it sounds to me almost like you are a little frustrated realizing your property has it's limitations, and that you for some reasons would like your standards (inches) to be a little higher than this property allows. the answer is both simple and complicated. you hunt out of tradition and hunt your property and take the best buck you can or the one you have patterened and set your sights on even though it may be sub-standard and be moderately pleased, or you scout other areas in search of what you are looking for. the real problem as I see it is we can only take one buck in Minnesota, so we settle for one scenario or the other, (I'm in a similar situation) or we hunt out of state and try for another buck. I have yet to do an out of state hunt. had a good one lined up this year in WI but my invite un-invited the hunt. This year I find my self in the unpleasant situation of having to work most of november and december. this will change my standards a little I'm thinking.
My best advice is if your heart wants to both shoot a booner and hunt with your dad, on your property, do the sentimantal hunt, focusing on your target standards, and when you can, slip in on another hunt where the very real opportunity to shoot that hawg exists. I don't remember if you hunt the gun season or not, but in my opinion, any deer you shoot with that long bow is a crazy cool trophy in my eyes.
sidenote, if you are available on or around halloween, I have a tremendous opportunity in a perfect bottleneck for all day sits. with the right wind this could be THE place to be. I could run a camera while you kill and then we could switch places. could be fun 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”