Noise and beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Noise and beds

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:28 pm

I was wondering? When its windy and there is more noise, do you think big bucks will bed more out in the open where they can use there eyes because their ears are limited?

One windy day, we were setting up on a buck that i had an inkling was bedding in some thicker stuff that was overlooking some short cattails. While setting up, the buck jumped up about sixty yards away and took off. It would have been hard for him to hear us and our wind was not blowing at him so he most likely saw us.... Well this spring i went and took a closer look and the bed was back in the thick stuff where i figured he was the first time. In this bed, he would not have seen us.
Will bucks bed out in the open on windy days where they can use there eyes more?

here is a pic of the situation... he jumped up next to the blow down in the right side of the picture... But, his beat down bed is in a little deeper more on the left side of the picture.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Noise and beds

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Certainly possible that he bedded farther out cause of the wind...
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:33 pm

Good observation, Predator. We can all learn something from this. Thanks for sharing.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:52 am

This is good to know, because i used to try to use the wind to my advantage in this way, when it was maybe biting me in the rear 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:37 am

I have used the wind as an advantage to get close to bedded bucks and in some cases slip right into the bedroom... I have not noticed this behavior very much... What I have personally noticed is that some bedding areas have several bedding sites and that the bed they pick is based on factors like wind direction and visibility. Basically what ever bed in that bedding area that gives them the best advantage that day. I have also noticed they will get up during midday and change beds if the wind changes sometimes.
There is likely a bed that is used on occasion in the spot where you jumped that buck. I would say its unlikely ( but not impossible ) that the buck moved to a location he never bedded before. So, I would say in your spring scouting, I would take a closer look at your bedding areas and try not to miss any of the "satellite" beds... I would also try and make a reasonable guess as to why and when each bed is used or chosen...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:39 am

Definitely learned something from this post
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:25 pm

Agreed, very insightful and helpful. Thanks for posting that predator
PredatorTC
500 Club