Now that last years rut is over with...?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Now that last years rut is over with...?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:48 am

It seemed very slow to me. That being said, I think it all depends on the hot does. If you got them, the rut will be great, and if you don't it will suck in your own little world. I must not have had any of the hot does around while I was hunting :( . Also where I hunt we can have neighbors having a great day, and I'll be with in 5 miles of them, and nothing, or vice versa. I also believe there has to be a "timing" trigger to the rut. I'm not sure what it is, but there has to be something that makes the does come in heat. After all, the fawns must be born at the right time in spring every year. It could be a combination of things. Daylight being one of them in my opinion. I also believe the moon could be involved, but not because of the light reflected by the moon, but maybe the deer can sense the gravitational pull or someting to that effect. The moon is what drives the ocean tides. I don't believe moonlight would be consistent enough each year because of cloud cover varying from year to year. JMO.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:58 am

One other thing I have noticed.. The rut timing seems to very in different locations. It might peak at the end of October in one area, and not till November 10th in another. But that same area will have the rut activity at the same time year after year.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:01 am

One other thing I have noticed.. The rut timing seems to very in different locations. It might peak at the end of October in one area, and not till November 10th in another. But that same area will have the rut activity at the same time year after year.

Thats cause weather is different in different areas (north vrs south) and mother nature ensures fawns are born at the best time for that area.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:24 am

kenn1320 wrote:

Thats cause weather is different in different areas (north vrs south) and mother nature ensures fawns are born at the best time for that area.

Depends on deer population as well - age structure as to how much rut activity you will see
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:52 am

We cut our broam grass and almost ran over a fawn it could barely walk.The date was June 26th which is late.I mentioned it to a co-worker he said his brother did run 2 fawns over while making hay that same weekend.S.E. WIS.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:25 am

dan wrote:One other thing I have noticed.. The rut timing seems to very in different locations. It might peak at the end of October in one area, and not till November 10th in another. But that same area will have the rut activity at the same time year after year.

last year around oct 30 in monroe county bucks were already crusing for babes in the afternoon, i didnt notice mournig movement until after the 6th of november.

dan so you said that the rut will most likely take place around the same time ever yearr in "that "area" so can i expect the same movement this year also
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:39 am

I was tagged out on Oct 27th so didn't really get to see any rut. Heard it was pretty good around my area though from a couple buddies.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:05 pm

I hunted a new peice last year for rut so it was hard to compare....the spot gets almost zero human intrusion. I hunted oct 23-24 and had many young deer chasing, grunting, and sparring. Came back on Nov 5th and 6th and it was the same case with the young deer, but there were a few more 2.5's and 3.5's walking around mid-day. Heard 2 fights on the 5th, and one on the morning of the 6th.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:21 pm

dan so you said that the rut will most likely take place around the same time ever yearr in "that "area" so can i expect the same movement this year also

Not really... Might be at the same general time, but activity will happen at night or during the day based on weather and moon. In my opinion.

Really want to know exactly when the pre-rut goes nuts? Ask a cop, car kills in is S.E. Wisconsin usually sky rocket right around Nov. 4th in S.E. Wisconsin. And cops will know all about the accidents.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:43 pm

Seemed pretty average to me, had good activity at dusk and good movement mid morning just like most years.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:11 pm

I can't guess the cause but I noticed on our SW WI property that the 1 & 2 yr olds were the only visible suiters for the young estrous does the first week or so in Nov.
Some nice Bucks were taken during and after the F/A season so we know they were there, just not aggressive during early rut. ?????
And I am talking a lot of young buck action chasing. The mature guys just didn't seem to show up like most years. Then WHAM. During F/A season they smoke'm.
???????????
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:30 am

Arrowbender wrote:I can't guess the cause but I noticed on our SW WI property that the 1 & 2 yr olds were the only visible suiters for the young estrous does the first week or so in Nov.
Some nice Bucks were taken during and after the F/A season so we know they were there, just not aggressive during early rut. ?????
And I am talking a lot of young buck action chasing. The mature guys just didn't seem to show up like most years. Then WHAM. During F/A season they smoke'm.
???????????

Exactly what I witnessed last November 6th thru 12th in SW WI!!! The young bucks were chasing all over the place. I saw 3 mature bucks, all just walking by themselves, which honestly is the best time to whack em!! Damn Saplings!! :lol: Awful warm again last early November :shock: Heard an awesome buckfight so that was cool... They killed a 164 inch 225 pound pig there on Nov. 1st standing over a doe!! 5.5 year old buck!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”