Old deer or what ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Old deer or what ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:38 pm

I personally think this guy is 7 or 8 years old. He,s pretty beat up ,that nose has been broke a few times .And his rack at one time might have been very impressive. What do you think ? This buck lived in a smallthicket inside a cattle pasture .He gladly, put up with the company of my Dad,s cattle versus human company.It took a lot of convicing to get my party to even hunt the thicket .Glad we did though !

huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: Old deer or what ?

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:42 pm

Dang, his neck is nearly as big as his head!!!!! That is an old warrior, for sure!!!!! He may even be closer to 10 yrs old!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:48 pm

nice buck. do you have more pics?! it's hard to tell
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:56 pm

I think it's 2 1/2. His bases aren't that big. Even an old deer with a rack gone downhill will still have big bases. The roman nose is probably just from genetics....that being said, really nothing can be proved from a pic like that.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
tresleggos

Unread postby tresleggos » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:49 pm

ya i agree 2.5 to 3.5 then......if he was that mature your would be able to tell from the bases of course. did you check his teeth. also how long was the buck sitting on the buck pole before you got the pic.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:10 am

Over the years I spotted this buck 5 or 6 times .Each time in the early morning entering this small woodlot .And that was over a 3 year period. So i know he,s at least that old . I have a few more pics,they are pics I,m taking from prints I developed from my disposable camera many years ago.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:39 am

The only way to know for sure is from his teeth. I'm not talking about tooth wear either. Tooth wear has been proven to NOT be an accurate way of determining age. Up to three years old it works OK, after that it's nothing more than a guess, and there are a few studies that prove this on known age deer.

The most accurate way I know of is having one of the small front teeth from the lower jaw(deer don't have teeth on the front upper jaw) cross sectioned in a lab. Search the web, and you will find places that do this.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:57 am

Regardless of how old the buck is, those are some awesome pics! I never get tired of looking at the deer hanging at camp/farm/home. 8-)
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:03 am

cool camp pictures, no doubt. What part of the country is that from?
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:22 am

Judging by the roman nose, neck thickness and depth of his chest I would say he is an old monarch that just didn't have good antler genetics. I don't think the roman nose can come from genetics but rather age and judging by the size of his head compared to his ears it is definately not a 2.5 year old. But that being said, the only accurate way to know for sure is tooth aging by counting the growth rings.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:09 pm

This is from our old camp down close to the riverbottoms western MN.This guy we got 1 mile from camp in the cattle pasture .But camp was overlooking the river beautiful,until some rich decided to give the owner twice the value of the property to build his mansion,goodbye deer camp.Now the wife has a deck overlooking our old hunting grounds.Kinda sad ,but at least the owner put a little $ in the bank.it was enuf to buy himself a better house for himself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”