Deer Journals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Deer Journals

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22 am

I have always wanted to start one, and never seem to manage to do it. Does anyone keep one? What info do you record? I would asume, deer sightings, weather, date, moon. What else would you record? I wish I had done it years ago, but maybe it's not to late to start. You'd have to have the disipline to do it daily. Who does it, and what have you learned if you do ?

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
PLB
500 Club

Re: Deer Journals

Unread postby PLB » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:38 am

I just started one in 2008. Wish I would have done it years ago, Very easy to forget or miss a day though! I record all the info you mentioned plus I use it as my scouting journal. I write down any important info from my scouting missions. I also write down after the season things I need to improve on for next season or things I thought I did right. Mine is like a binder with pockets that I store all my maps in. Hope this helps ya?
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:41 am

I usually start one during the hunting season but end up forgetting to write in it a couple of weeks into the season. I need to learn to be more consistent and keep up with it.

Typically I log all of the things you mentioned...date, which stand I'm in, wind direction, weather, sightings...etc.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:48 am

Been doing it for a about 10 years now. It's great to go back on. It really shows how I have develped as a hunter. I refer back to it when conditons are similar. I also subscribe to an online journal called Gametraxx. I have been doing this for about 4 years. I really like it, it cost $39 bucks a year. You can run reports of all different condtions. You can break it down by treestands, type of deer seen from stand. Which stands are more productive. It keeps track of alot of weather data, moon times, etc. I really recommend it, in addition to a handwritten one. In my hand written one I just make some general notes based on weather, wind, deer seen, time seen, etc.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:31 pm

I was thinking about doing this. I could just started a word document and save it on my computer? I think it would be helpful for when i have ideas while i scout because i forget to try them while hunting. If its written down, i can dig it up and try it. IT would also be a good way to remember big tracks, rubs or bucks that you may eventually forget about.
Boo
500 Club

Unread postby Boo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:36 pm

I write down the weather, wind direction, temp, moon phase, stand and what I observed. It's interesting to look back on and see when and why the deer were moving.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:59 pm

A lot of times when i am looking at maps and trail-cam pics, i go to this site http://www.wunderground.com/history/ to see what the wind was and all that good stuff on the date the the pic was taken.. IT really does help and has made a lot of sense for me when i had questions
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:27 pm

I write in my hunting log all year round. Every time I get back from a hunt/walk/scout I enter any new information (fresh deer sign, new beds, new rubs / staging areas, other hunter's sign, etc.) while it's still fresh in my mind. When I clear out a tree to hunt, I note how many sticks or strap-on steps I need to take in and how to position them on the tree for the best setup. Months later these little details help when you are setting up in the dark. I also note the names of home and land owners around the areas I hunt and new contacts that might have an effect on my hunting prospects. I'm terrible with names and will review that information before going back to a certain area. It's saved me a few times! The little details make a BIG difference sometimes.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”