Question for Dan

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Question for Dan

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 am

Dan, I read one of your posts that said you were a bit over 30% for P&Y guided hunts on public land. My question(s) are:
1. Were you using the Beast technique of sneaking in to a staging area and setting up stands with the client?
2. How often were you successful at having a client sneak into that area and set up, without bumping the buck?

If you were using a different method, Id be interested in hearing about it. Guess my biggest concern is being able to sneak into that zone and not blow the buck out, but if you were taking clients in (assuming average Joes were hiring your services) then I dont feel as intimidated by the tactic.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Question for Dan

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:34 am

1. Were you using the Beast technique of sneaking in to a staging area and setting up stands with the client?

Yes... Most of my clients were more interested in learning how to hunt the way I do than actually wanting a buck. We took a lone wolf hang on and sticks in and snuck to a staging area that had not been hunted for at least 30 days. I went over maps, deer video's from shining, usually took them shining the 1st night and found bucks near known bedding areas, discussed target animals and let them choose the deer they wanted to target.

2. How often were you successful at having a client sneak into that area and set up, without bumping the buck?
That depended greatly on the client and his attitude. Its a lot easier for a guy that has scouted the bed and knows what the buck can see , hear, and smell to know when to sneak... Some guys talked to much. Some made to much noise walking. I would tell them what to do once or twice, but if that didn't work I would just let them hunt.
Anybody who believed in the method and put forth effort to be quiet could do what I asked...
It is interesting that just based on attitude, you could tell who would get opportunitys and who wouldn't.
If a guy thought he was getting put in bad spots, or thought the spot wouldn't produce, he usually would not get a chance. i believe this is because without the right attitude your not careful with your movements and noise and lose focus.
For an observant hunter having guys to observe and watch fail or succeed teaches you a lot. You get to learn by there mistakes. Another great thing was to test out theories and hunting spots with clients. To me it was like having me hunt 3 spots at once having 3 guys out there and hearing what they saw.
Although I did 30% opportunity, most hunters failed to kill the buck when it walked out. Some missed, some froze up, some wounded them, and some spooked the bucks with no shot.
I had one group of 3 guys from Tennessee who had 17 shot opportunity's in 3 days and went home without a single deer. It was my best hunt ever, and no one got anything. One of the bucks the guy shot it, it jumped out about 10 yards and looked around and he shot it again, then it ran off, that same night the guys brother had shot a buck a 1/4 mile away. While tracking I found out it was the same buck... 3 arrows in it and I never did find it.
We did kill a few pigs though, and got a few people there 1st.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”