weather and whitetails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

weather and whitetails

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:25 am

in one topoic about shinning dan Answered me saying, deer travel is dictated by moon phases and cloud cover, does storms also play a roll in night time movment?
two years ago it was storming good and we decided to shine and got three huge bucks on film that night, the rest of the week we didnt see a singel deer!

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: weather and whitetails

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:37 am

Weather is huge... Light rain seems to get deer up that can't stand to lay in it. Heavy rain and wind often puts them in lockdown although I have seen them move in those times on occasion. Storm fronts are usually preceded by heavy feeding before lockdown.
Heavy rain and wind for 1/2 the night followed by a few hours of calm after the storm often makes for a late arrival to buck beds the next morning due to bucks starting there nighttime routine later than usual... That important cause on most mornings outside of rut mature bucks tend to arrive to there beds before daylight.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Just before and after a storm are usually good.... light rain near the end of Oct or into early Nov is a great time to ride it out. Some of the biggest deer I have seen on the hoof have been in light rains
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Had a guy tell me years ago, that the old deer cant sit still in the frontal conditions-fog, light rain etc., because they are old and arthritic and hurt and move so they dont get stiff. So I always like to hunt these conditions.

Also, when it comes to high wind. I plowed snow for several winters. Went out in a blizzard with horizontal snow in the middle of the night and said to myself wont have to worry about watching for deer on the roads tonight.

That was one of 2 times that I ever hit a deer with my truck. If I had my guard up a little more I wouldn't have hit it. I just bumped it with the plow at about 10mph and didnt kill it. My point is, I didnt think they would be moving and they were, so even though this condition isnt the best for movement there are exceptions to every rule. Also, there was a whole heard about 10-15 crossed up in front of me and I bumped the last one.

And no I didnt check the moon chart.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”