What time to bucks Bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

What time to bucks Bed?

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:33 am

I know this probably varies but I have two buck beds that I found this winter on the edge of a river. I didn't do any trimming or anything and I finally got access to a little boat with a trolling motor. There is cattails surrounding the bed and an oak island about 100 yards to the east. I was thinking about hunting the oak island but I don't think he will get up with enough daylight left to film or shoot him legally. My plan was to hunt his bed in the morning, wait for him to literally lay down and shoot him in his bed. I just don't know when he will be in his bed in the morning and don't want to bust him out. I also don't know how I would conceal myself to get a shot. What wind would he be using to get back to his bed. His bed is just a solo tree with a over hanging branch, and the tree is tore up! The river is on the west side of his bed and the oak island and the crop fields are on the east side of his bed. If you got any ideas to help me out that would be awesome! Thanks. :mrgreen:

Brandon
500 Club

Re: What time to bucks Bed?

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:37 am

sound like a killer spot.

if it was me I would try to get as close to that bed as possible with the right wind in the evening, and then wait for him to get up prior to dark. By right wind I mean the right wind for him to be bedded there #1 and right wind as in slipping in from which ever direction will not have my wind/scent drift directly towards that bed.

If hes super smart, he most likely would be back to bed before legal shooting time, when its still dark.

if theres no trees for a stand? I may hunt the edge of that oak flat seeing is how its so close to his bed. Is there a tree to hang a stand without getting busted?

good luck either way you decide.
Last edited by Brandon on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't kill em on the couch
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:41 am

I was also thinking about doing that but doing it that way I would have to walk A LONG ways through cattails compared to cruising up the river in my boat and a trolling motor only about a 1/2 mile to a mile.

There are no trees by his bed or on the way to the oak island to hang a stand I would most likely be sitting in cattails. What wind do you think he would be using when he's going back to bed? The more I think about it the more I think sitting there by his bed is not a very good idea, you would have to have the perfect wind and sitting there waiting for it to get light without him busting you for who knows how long with a shooting lane...would be awfully tough.
Last edited by Czabs on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:44 am

Czabs wrote:I was also thinking about doing that but doing it that way I would have to walk A LONG ways through cattails compared to cruising up the river in my boat and a trolling motor only about a 1/2 mile to a mile.

Alot of the hunters here if they 'had' to hunt in the AM would pick a day with the moon overhead when a buck would possibly come back to his bed later in the morning which would give you legal shooting hours and some daylight. Dan or some of the other guys can explain the moon thing better.
You can't kill em on the couch
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:48 am

thanks brandon
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:57 am

I see two issues with that plan... #1 the buck will likely get there an hour or so before daylight unless you hunt based on moon guide or weather.
#2 that electric motor and boat better be really quiet.

I think you gave the answer in your description of the area. One of the golden questions you should ask when you find a bed is "WHY" Anirher is "when".
Why and when may be directly related to that "oak" island you found... I have had a lot of success hunting those oak island opening week of the season when bucks have not recieved any pressure yet and acorns are dropping... If that island is really only 100 yards away and does not recieve much pressure, and has trails coming from that bed, you can guess where I would be sitting opening week on an evening... Yea. It might be tough for you to access, but hard work and effort generally reward you in the end.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:12 am

dan wrote:I see two issues with that plan... #1 the buck will likely get there an hour or so before daylight unless you hunt based on moon guide or weather.
#2 that electric motor and boat better be really quiet.

I think you gave the answer in your description of the area. One of the golden questions you should ask when you find a bed is "WHY" Anirher is "when".
Why and when may be directly related to that "oak" island you found... I have had a lot of success hunting those oak island opening week of the season when bucks have not recieved any pressure yet and acorns are dropping... If that island is really only 100 yards away and does not recieve much pressure, and has trails coming from that bed, you can guess where I would be sitting opening week on an evening... Yea. It might be tough for you to access, but hard work and effort generally reward you in the end.

I agree...May be a pain to get to with walking but think how esy it will be after he is on the ground to get out with a boat. :D
foltzy

Unread postby foltzy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:30 am

as long as there are acorns dropping and the island has very low human pressure I would definetly sit on the island. I have quite a few spots just like this, they are KILLER during the first week of bow. regardless of wind that buck will make his way to the island, but if its not in his favor you probably won't see him till the last 15 min. of light, the problem is the other younger deer will come to feed earlier, you have to allow them to enter the island if you want to kill him. make sure the wind will allow you a shot at his trail without spooking the other deer.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and comments. I like the taking the dead deer out by boat idea! How do I know if the acorns are falling? I don't want to go in there and put my scent everywhere just to check if the acorns are falling. What kind of spots do you guys normally hunt in the morning early in the season? Opening morning last year I sat in a funnel on some heavily pressured public land to only see 2 BIG bucks walk the opposite way I was expecting 200 yards away cut my scent trail and vanish into the cattails. 7am walking in the middle of swamp grass waist height! Does that make sense at all!?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:27 pm

Some types of acorns fall annually, some bi-annually.... If your not sure I would hunt it opening week once anyway. What do you got to loose? Unless your set on hunting right over his bed? And thats a one shot deal ( hunting right in the bed ) that will either work or spook the out of him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”